Traveling with both 'Advanced Keyless' fobs- best stategy to avoid problems?

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
I'm heading out tomorrow morning on a road trip driving form North Georgia to Pittsburgh. My best friend was transferred there last August and I'm going up to spend 12 days hanging out and helping him repaint the interior and hang some crown molding in his new house.

I'm planning to take both of the remote fobs (I have a GT with Advanced Keyless Entry) just in case something happens to one of them. I'll be taking them into the house for safe-keeping when I arrive and just use one for daily driving.

Any advice on how to handle traveling with both fobs? I think I read i the Owner's Manual that when tow fobs are present in the car, one is deactivated to avoid confusion/conflicts. Is that correct?

Worst case scenario, I could stash one of them in my coat (which I'll be putting on and off each time I exit and return to the car) and then put the one I'm using in my other coat pocket while I'm away rom the car. That would work righ'?

I'm heading out tomorrow morning on a road trip driving form North Georgia to Pittsburgh. My best friend was transferred there last August and I'm going up to spend 12 days hanging out and helping him repaint the interior and hang some crown molding in his new house.

I'm planning to take both of the remote fobs (I have a GT with Advanced Keyless Entry) just in case something happens to one of them. I'll be taking them into the house for safe-keeping when I arrive and just use one for daily driving.

Any advice on how to handle traveling with both fobs? I think I read i the Owner's Manual that when two fobs are present in the car, one is deactivated to avoid confusion/conflicts. Is that correct?

Worst case scenario, I could stash one of them in my coat (which I'll be putting on and off each time I exit and return to the car) and then put the one I'm using in my other coat pocket while I'm away rom the car. That would work righ'?

why not just take the battery out of the spare ?

that's what I do for the spare I leave at home that I never use
(I remove the battery, just in case the battery leaks acid for sitting around for a long time, and trust me they do leak)
see sample picture (this is something I grabbed off the internet for reference)
this will damage an advanced key mighty quick:

Anyway, I've left the battery out for a good 6 months and tried again just this past month and it still works like brand new,
it won't "forget" the code if the battery is removed.

Last edited:
You are worrying over nothing. My wife always has her fob with her in her purse, even if I'm driving with my key. There are 2 downsides: (1) if she unlocks the door before me, the seat memory moves the driver's seat to her position, so then I need to stop it and move it back with the memory button; (2) sometimes she likes to leave her purse in the car, and if I try to lock the car, it won't lock, and the car beeps like 6-7 times. Other than that, nothing has ever gone wrong in 4 years of ownership under these circumstances.

Just enjoy your trip. (drive)

You are worrying over nothing. My wife always has her fob with her in her purse, even if I'm driving with my key. There are 2 downsides: (1) if she unlocks the door before me, the seat memory moves the driver's seat to her position, so then I need to stop it and move it back with the memory button; (2) sometimes she likes to leave her purse in the car, and if I try to lock the car, it won't lock, and the car beeps like 6-7 times. Other than that, nothing has ever gone wrong in 4 years of ownership under these circumstances.

Just enjoy your trip. (drive)

I was going to say, there's no way they designed a smart fob system so dumb it couldn't handle a husband and wife both being in the car with their individual sets of keys at the same time.

I was going to say, there's no way they designed a smart fob system so dumb it couldn't handle a husband and wife both being in the car with their individual sets of keys at the same time.

Like I said, when both keys are present, one key (not sure how it decides) is deactivated temporarily.

I was originally plannign to make the entire drive to Pittsburgh today, but I only made it to Wytheville, VA (about 40 miles from the WV border). The weather got too nasty and visibility was almost non-existent.

For my wife and I, when we ride together, it seems to pick the key that was closest to the door on which the request button was pressed. In others words, if I get to the door a few seconds before DW, and press the door button, I 'win' and the seats adjusts to my preferences. And that's the only impact of two keys in the car.

Back