Transmission fluid type

:
Mazda CX 9 2012 AWD
Hi

I have CX 9 2012 Awd

I replaced the transmission fluid on 40k by motorcraft synthetic fluid and I did it again on 60k but after the first replacement the transmission noise became louder

Does motorcraft synthetic fluid is the right one for my car ??
if not, which fluid should I use ?

Your help is much appreciated

Toyota T-IV is the correct fluid - there is another one that can be used as well - Mobil 3309 - they are equivalents

Toyota T-IV is the correct fluid - there is another one that can be used as well - Mobil 3309 - they are equivalents

thanks Takehold66

so basically Motorcraft is not compatible with my car

the strange thing that the official mazda dealer here in Saudi use motorcraft oil .

Can't say for sure that it is NOT compatible, but I know that most people here use Toyota T-IV or Mobil ATF 3309. I used the Toyota on my last change and the car shifts perfectly. There are also about 2 or 3 different Motorcraft fluids for different transmission types so you would have to use the correct fluid for this car and not sure what that is. Safer to just change it out with Toyota or Mobil. You may want to do the 3x3 method to clear out as much old fluid as you can.

As far as motorcraft trans fluid here in the u.s., they don't make any fluid that is compatible with the cx-9. It might be different there. I would play it safe and go with the toyota t-4 or mobil ATF 3309. The toyota one here in the states is a lot cheaper. You would have to see which of the two fluids is available there.

Can't say for sure that it is NOT compatible, but I know that most people here use Toyota T-IV or Mobil ATF 3309. I used the Toyota on my last change and the car shifts perfectly. There are also about 2 or 3 different Motorcraft fluids for different transmission types so you would have to use the correct fluid for this car and not sure what that is. Safer to just change it out with Toyota or Mobil. You may want to do the 3x3 method to clear out as much old fluid as you can.

thanks guys your information it really helps

I am going to replace the fluid with Toyota T-IV as you advice me but is there any danger of mixing the two fluide because here they just do the drain and fill method which does not empty the hole fluid inside the transmission ??

They ARE NOT compatible. Put the correct stuff in ASAP. Not sure about your 2012, but for 2008 the Mazda CX-9 does NOT use the same transmission as the Ford Edge. The Mazda trans fluid is THE fluid to use.

Further, you should buy about 15 quarts and FLUSH that sucker. You need to get all that wrong stuff out.

Considering you need only change this fluid every 100,000 miles, bite the bullet and put in the safe stuff. This goes ESPECIALLY for coolant.

Pootie tang. The service interval for the trans is every 30k miles and the correct fluid is either Toyota T-IV or 3309

Where do you get that from? The owner's manuals for both 2008 and 2012 do not show a service for the trans.

It's not listed in Mazda's schedule, but I have transmission flushed every 30K since new, PTU oil changed every 6000 miles,
it may be overkill but I hit 100,000 miles a couple of days ago with no failures.

Don't believe in mfg's designation for lifetime anything, they're trying to sell cars.

I laugh everytime a co-worker tells me, "I don't have to change engine oil until the computer tells me, there's a sensor that calculates the oil condition" he hasn't changed the oil even after reaching 10K LOL hahaha, I told him don't believe that crap,change the engine oil every 6000 mile no matter what.

Last edited:
Synthetic can go a long time in modern engines. That being said, I plan to change my trans fluid in the next 1000 miles or so. I was going to do it a year ago but the fluid looked great so I didn't. That was at 127,000 miles. I am now at 147,000 miles.

I am not sure but i believe that in the 2007 owners manual it says 30k miles for the trans service. I will check tonight and see. I do it at 20k mile intervals as the service is not that expensive at the dealer. I pay about 150 for it to be done.

There is no service interval for the the CX-9 Tranny because its a sealed transmission; Toyota stats the fluid is good for the life of the transmission. I looked into this a year ago and you need to buy the correct fluid if you do in-fact want to flush and fill.

If you want OEM auto trans fluid. IDEMITSU Type M . Many individuals try various other auto fluids without any short term issues I'm using Redline D4 in my 2011 Mazda 3S. Changed the complete fluid at 17k it was light brown in color. Then every 10k I drain the fluid in the auto trans pan and replace with 3.3 qts of Redline D4. There is an individual on another forum that hasn't changed his auto trans fluid in over 120k but I wouldn't want to do that. He is very fortunate that no issues have occurred.

I bought My 2016 CX-9 AWD at 53k... I have almost 64k now... I'm going to do a ATF flush & a rear diff drain/fill.... For the ATF I'm a big fan of using the same thing that's in there if possible... So is it Idemitsu type M or the Mazda Fluid (0000-77-114E-01) T-IV/JWS-3309? How many quarts should I buy?

For the Rear Diff... I'll get 4qts of Genuine Ford Fluid XY-75W140-QL SAE 75W-140 Synth Rear Axle Lubricant for the drain/fill...

Then I'll do the transfer case drain/fill at 100k.

I hear people say "beware of the trans flush" because it puts pressure in to the system... I have 64k... should I worry about that? Do they drop the pan & all or?

I love my CX-9 Sig & it drives fine, so I'm just trying to do preventative maintenance.... I don't want to screw anything up here or throw money out the window.... Damn sealed units! Damn proprietary $30 spark plugs!

Based on my experience with my transfer case at 40K miles on the original factory fill that is the unit I'd do sooner than the transmission and differential. I changed mine out then and it was a mess. Did it again just now at 60K and it was much better. Drained well and wasn't a stinking mess. I think that a 30K interval for the PTU makes sense based on what I have seen on my 2012.

I bought My 2016 CX-9 AWD at 53k... I have almost 64k now... I'm going to do a ATF flush & a rear diff drain/fill.... For the ATF I'm a big fan of using the same thing that's in there if possible... So is it Idemitsu type M or the Mazda Fluid (0000-77-114E-01) T-IV/JWS-3309? How many quarts should I buy?

For the Rear Diff... I'll get 4qts of Genuine Ford Fluid XY-75W140-QL SAE 75W-140 Synth Rear Axle Lubricant for the drain/fill...

Then I'll do the transfer case drain/fill at 100k.

I hear people say "beware of the trans flush" because it puts pressure in to the system... I have 64k... should I worry about that? Do they drop the pan & all or?

I love my CX-9 Sig & it drives fine, so I'm just trying to do preventative maintenance.... I don't want to screw anything up here or throw money out the window.... Damn sealed units! Damn proprietary $30 spark plugs!

make sure you don’t confuse the requirements between 1st gen and 2nd gen cx-9. It sounds like you have a 2nd gen and a lot of the discussion on this threads refers to the first gen only, which reused a lot of Ford components.

Back