Replacement windshield recall

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor

Manufacturer: PILKINGTON NORTH AMERICA, INC.
SUMMARY:
Pilkington North America, Inc. (Pilkington) is recalling certain replacement windshields, model FW04026 GTY, manufactured November 23, 2015, to December 16, 2015 for use in Mazda CX-5 vehicles that are equipped with the Smart City Brake Support system. The affected windshields have a bracket mounted on the inside to hold a laser sensor or LIDAR device for the Smart City Brake Support system. These brackets were improperly affixed with only tape instead of tape and urethane and therefore may loosen.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the bracket loosens or detaches from the windshield, the safety features of the Smart City Brake Support system may be disabled and therefore increase the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Pilkington will contact the wholesalers and retailers that purchased the windshields to try to identify the affected customers. The affected windshields will be replaced, free of charge. This recall is expected to begin on February 12, 2016. Owners may contact Pilkington at 1-844-278-7230.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Manufacturer: PILKINGTON NORTH AMERICA, INC.
SUMMARY:
Pilkington North America, Inc. (Pilkington) is recalling certain replacement windshields, model FW04026 GTY, manufactured November 23, 2015, to December 16, 2015 for use in Mazda CX-5 vehicles that are equipped with the Smart City Brake Support system. The affected windshields have a bracket mounted on the inside to hold a laser sensor or LIDAR device for the Smart City Brake Support system. These brackets were improperly affixed with only tape instead of tape and urethane and therefore may loosen.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the bracket loosens or detaches from the windshield, the safety features of the Smart City Brake Support system may be disabled and therefore increase the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Pilkington will contact the wholesalers and retailers that purchased the windshields to try to identify the affected customers. The affected windshields will be replaced, free of charge. This recall is expected to begin on February 12, 2016. Owners may contact Pilkington at 1-844-278-7230.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

s*** - looks like my CX5 will be hit with 2 recalls. This windshield + fuel line thing. Ah well, what to do. At least Mazda is NOT trying to hide behind excuses. But it does leave a bad taste, since car's just 1 month old. At the same time, I am congratulating myself that I didn't need to drive long time with these issues....

s*** - looks like my CX5 will be hit with 2 recalls. This windshield + fuel line thing. Ah well, what to do. At least Mazda is NOT trying to hide behind excuses. But it does leave a bad taste, since car's just 1 month old. At the same time, I am congratulating myself that I didn't need to drive long time with these issues....

Does this recall only affect you if you have had your windshield replaced due to cracking previously?

Damn, when I saw windshield recall was hoping it applied to most CX-5 owners that have cracked windshield possibly due to stress/structure crack or in my case... a "chip" that started cracking the windshield from top center lol

Damn, when I saw windshield recall was hoping it applied to most CX-5 owners that have cracked windshield possibly due to stress/structure crack or in my case... a "chip" that started cracking the windshield from top center lol

Keep dreaming, windshields break all the time! It's not unique to any marque.

Keep dreaming, windshields break all the time! It's not unique to any marque.

lol yeah I know... windshield breaks easily... just that it seems like there's a common issue with CX-5 windshields cracking

After re-reading the recall information I'm a bit confused. Does this apply to all owners who have the SCBS option, or just to those SCBS owners who have had their windshield replaced?

How are you guys interpreting the wording?

After re-reading the recall information I'm a bit confused. Does this apply to all owners who have the SCBS option, or just to those SCBS owners who have had their windshield replaced?

How are you guys interpreting the wording?

The recall is from a manufacturer of replacement glass. It is for people whose windshields have been replaced with that particular glass.

Ah I see! Thanks for the clarification craigo.

I can scratch that off my to-do list now. phew!

Back