Slowtege, Lowtege, Gotege?

:
mazda
I've made some substantial mods to my car recently, and I think it's finally time to make a build thread. I got my automatic 02 protege5 in black mica with 117k on the clock. Here's my first photo of the car. More are coming.

0612111501.jpg

After having the car for 4 years, I really started to mod it. Over the summer, I did and HID retrofit. I bought a pair of sedan headlights, open the housing and painted them black. Then I added in the Morimoto 4500K 35W HID's in the H1 6.0 projectors. They're amazing and I love them. I used rustoleum high-temp paint for the housings.

View attachment 213104
View attachment 213103

Reassembled and screwed back into the housing with the mini gatling gun shroud.

2015-08-14 20.46.22.jpg
2015-08-14 21.06.18.jpg
2015-08-14 20.30.53.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-08-13 20.34.53.jpg
    2015-08-13 20.34.53.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 2015-08-14 19.19.11Resize.jpg
    2015-08-14 19.19.11Resize.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Manual Swap

Before I get too far into this new project, I want to thank apowell0224 for helping me get started. I met up with him to source a manual transmission. When I told him about my swap, he helped me out with a bunch of information and contacts as well as extra parts to help get me going. He is the first other protege owner that I've met, and I was blown away by his openness and generosity. He's a really great guy. I'm thankful to apowell0224 and the rest of mazdas247 for fostering a helpful and friendly community of enthusiasts.

Now on to the car stuff! I found parts locally and decided to manual swap my autotragic car in January as a gift to myself for working my ass off from Halloween through the new year. I guess its rewarding work with more work, but I always wanted to do this. Luckily, I was able to reserve lift space. The plan was to tear out the automatic and harness and use a replacement from a '95 probe with no ABS and splice in the ABS harness from the automatic car.

Here's the beginning of the end of tear down. You can see the Hella Twin Trumpets that I put in too.
2016-01-12 18.30.00.jpg

Automatic transmission has been liberated from the car!
2016-01-22 18.16.56.jpg

Then a bunch of crap went wrong...

Last edited:
So all the things that went wrong immediately after disassembly...
1) I realized that the transmission I had didn't come with the necessary brackets and they would need to be ordered from the dealer (three day delay)

2) I banged the rear oil seal in too far and needed to order a new one along with the brackets.

3) I destroyed a wheel bearing while getting the axle out. I ordered the replacement parts from Amazon, but they were stolen from outside my door (additional 3 day delay).

4) Lost one pressure plate bolt and washer after replacing the rear main seal... Another dealer order

5) Finally, I was sold an obviously broken clutch pedal by Harbor Used Auto Parts in Lynn, MA. Luckily, I was saved by a forum member.
2016-01-16 17.31.53.jpg

I was lucky that the lift was open this whole time. There was very little I could do while waiting for parts. If I did more prep work, I wouldn't have run into these problems. Eventually I replaced the wheel bearing and rear main seal. I banged the rear main seal in way too far. I had to rip off the inner annulus of the RMS and pull the circular spring out. Eventually, I used two self tapping screws to get the rear main seal out. After the pressure plate bolts came in, I was able to speed up reassembly. My roommate helped me out a lot. My girlfriend brought me food at the shop and drove me around a couple of times to pick up parts.
2016-01-17 12.50.49.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. Not to mention that I snapped a bolt in the slave cylinder and crossthreaded another bolt. I thought I got it working, but my replacement slave cylinder is leaking now and my car is out of commission until I can fix it. I got to drive it for a bit though. My biggest takeaway from this swap is that bolts, lines, and brackets really add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
total cost was about $200 for three of the brackets and two rear main seals so that's about $160 for three brackets. I'll find the receipt tonight to get more accurate numbers.

s***. I would have got brackets from a wrecker dude. The black motor mount brackets? Hope You didnt buy the brass looking ones that hold wires in place.

Yeah those brackets. I'll post the part numbers later. I called local yards and checked car-part, but couldn't find them anywhere other than the dealer.

Surely there is a Protege sedan or something at a pick and pull with a useable banjo bolt. Take your new slave with you and pull a few, shouldn't be hard to find one.

I was able to find one at NAPA and I think I have it covered now. It was really more of a transportation problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manual Driving Tips

The manual swap has been working really well for the last week or so. The bronze-oil shifter bushings are breaking in nicely, but I need the OEM bolt that attaches the shifter linkage to the transmission. My hardware store solution has a little too much play for my liking. The interior is very messy and I'm waiting on a shift boot, so no new photos for now. I'm also in the process of moving.

With the new starter and the Probe transmission, the car has a much different feel to it. I should also mention that I hadn't driven a manual outside of a parking lot before this swap so I'm also learning to drive stick too. To that end, does anyone have tips about driving a manual protege? I have friends helping me learn stick, but I'd like to hear from you all on Mazdas247. What shift points do you like (probe trans)? At what RPM do you downshift when stopping at a light? Are there any other quirks about driving the manual in this car?

Paying for Laziness

When I was swapping in my transmission, my buddy said "Hey you might want to replace the axle seals while it's out". I wanted to be done, so I ignored him. Guess who's paying to have the axle seal replaced now! If I hadn't destroyed a tire last Saturday, I wouldn't have noticed the leak. If you're considering a manual swap, don't forget the axle seals! (Differential Oil Seal in FSM).

Back