Great online tool for helping visualize window tint % shades etc.

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
As is often the case, I've been having a hard time deciding what % window tint to go with for my "new to me" Mazda 5 GT. I found this great online tool to do some comparisons. It lets you change the percentages, plus will also give you a view from the inside out. It isn't perfect (it is only offers three generic styles of vehicles, not exact models, and *gasp* NO M5!) but helps gives you a reference point to start with. I found it more helpful than trying to compare endless pictures of tinted vehicles with varying degrees of explanations about % tint used etc.

http://www.solargard.com/window-films/automotive

Mid-way down the right hand side is the "Take Solar Gard auto film for a test drive" link.

So, what did you end up choosing?

I usually get near darkest legal on the two front side windows, and 10% around the remainder. It depends on exactly what I get on the front two sides as not all types of film match the 25% legal limit here. My 2013 5 got 30% on the front two windows, but I'm not sure as the receipt has gone MIA.

There are quite a few things that affect how dark tint looks.

-The color (dark/light) of your interior plays a HUGE factor
-Car's greenhouse (how much glass it has)
-The quality of tint film
-Not an issue on our budget car but some premium cars have UVA impregnated into the side glass so it is a tad darker. Adding tint will darken it more.

Check out tintdudes.com, this is an installer forum so youll find lots of good reading/advice. Also good place to find a reputable installer! You will find that the high quality tint film is actually NOT dark.

You will find that the high quality tint film is actually NOT dark.

Yep, I get the better grade tint that isn't quite as dark as others. For instance, I can't get the 5% "limo" tint in the brand I got installed back in September. However, it should last as long as my last car's tint did. Which was going on 9+ years before I totaled it.

Back