Totally agree Valk! I've been trying to get some K1 rods but they're backordered everywhere. They're projecting to have some ready about the end of February. Elch :(

There is a guy trying to sell pauter rods. He has been trying to sell for ages. Money talks.

The ze also has a different manifold. It will work but you will have an extra electic bit yyou wont be able to connect. Good opportunity to delete the vtcs butterflies on your msp manifold.

I'm not sure what electric bit you are referring to but the ZE mani will work fine, just have to alter the fuel lines for the ZE rail. I am installing one in my car

doesnt the ze manifold have vris?

horsnfan what kind of problems are you running into? I'm almost ready (hopefully) to drop the motor and trans into the car. In trying to connect the motor and trans there is a piece or bracket missing that we are going to fabricate. Did you have this or similar problems?

The ZE mani only has VICS, no VRIS. That is on the newer Mazdas. The only problem I have is I work 3 jobs and haven't had a day off since New Year's and when I'm off I am busy catching up on other obligations. I have done engine swaps in the past, just need time to work on it. What bracket are you missing? If it isn't necessary I wouldn't worry about making a new one. I may have one if it is necessary

I'm guessing the crank is the same too? So it should be good for just about whatever. I'm really only aiming for about 250whp. The bracket i'm missing holds the tranny to the motor and is the second bolt under the starter motor. So about 4 or 5 o'clock when looking at the engine.

Im not sure if a ze has different bracketry but there is no bracket Between trans and motor on fs. Thereis a shim between them but trans bolts directly to motor. Starter bolts directly to tranny. You might be missing one of the black motor mount brackets. Those you can fish off your old trans or get from a wrecker. Any little gold colored brackets dont matter. The intake manifold supoort bracket kind of optional

I'm getting close. I still need to bolt the tranny to the motor. It would be done already but the stupid guy at Mazda didn't give me all the bolts I need. UGH. Order the rest (hopefully) of the bolts I need on Monday night and should come in Thursday or Friday. Hopefully the motor and tranny get dropped in this weekend then I can start trying to get all the electrical connections and tubing figured out. Need to drop in the radiator and SMIC get that all plummed up. Get the axles installed. Hook up the gear linkage. Wait...what is that? I think it's a light at the end of the tunnel!!

Woohoo! Finally got the motor and tranny together and the motor is in the engine bay!! Still have to connect all the wires and hoses and get the axles and gear linkages hooked up. Hopefully with any luck I'll be hearing that motor turn over in the next week or so!!

Does anybody know why you need to swap the crank pulley when dropping in an FS-ZE motor? I've read beacuse the ZE is OBD-1
and the DE is OBD-2. But I have no idea why a pulley would make a difference. Thanks!

Does anybody know why you need to swap the crank pulley when dropping in an FS-ZE motor? I've read beacuse the ZE is OBD-1
and the DE is OBD-2. But I have no idea why a pulley would make a difference. Thanks!

the fs-ze has a 4 point tone wheel and the usdm protege has 36-1 tooth tone wheel from memory which your ecu needs, it won't work with the 4 point, like putting ford wheels on a Camero, it just don't work.

I'm having trouble figuring out which vacuum tubes go where. I have the service manueal but since I have a FS-ZE the layout is a bit different, and the diagrams in the manual area bit confusing to follow.
Also I have maybe four or five sensor/electrical connection that I'm not sure where they go. I'll try to post pics when I get home.
However I did get it to turn over lastnight!! Didn't start it yet tho

Back