Is the 5 cancelled or not?

carpetcrawler

:
Mazda5 GS
I have read in several places that the 2015 was the last model year, but my dealer had 2016 brochures and the 2016 is listed on the mazda site in Canada.

Have they just stopped production and are slapping 2016's on the inventory?

I believe you Canadians get the MZ5 one more year for 2016. We here in the US get none anymore. They're not even in Mazda's website. My thoughts are maybe because it sold better up there than here you guys get the last bit of them.

Looks like maybe the car lives on outside US borders?

My understanding also. No new car sales in the US anymore but in most or all other countries where the model was available previously, there was no change. It seems like in the US, Mazda is focused on pushing CX-5 and CX-9 SUV's to minivan buyers instead.

I have no idea what it takes to import a car from Canada to the US, but when the Canadian dollar was very strong, many people were buying in the US and importing them to Canada. It was happening so often that many US dealerships within a state or two of the border were even willing to drive your vehicle up to the border for you. There were a number of hoops (government) to jump through, plus DRL's had to be installed and the speedo needed to be altered, but at the end of the day it was usually well worth it (depending on the vehicle).

The reason I bring it up is many Americans may not realize how bad the CDN dollar is right now compared to the USD. So not only could you potentially buy a brand new 2016 Mazda 5 GT with 6 speed manual... but that current CDN price of $26,795 becomes $18,842 in US funds! (On a side note if you're not planning your Canadian vacation right now, you better start!). Not sure how that compares to what you were able to buy them new for last year... but seems like it might be worth looking into!

Last edited:
If only the federal government would allow it to be that easy. That is a hell of a price for a GT ( you do mean Grand Touring right?) which in the US was the top trim level. I imagine where the trouble would start would be with the Canadian VIN.

I was thinking how odd it is that they are discontinuing the 5 in NA... but I think US Americans (and such as) bought a lot fewer of them than us Canadians - I don't go for a drive where I don't see at least a half dozen of them.

If only the federal government would allow it to be that easy. That is a hell of a price for a GT ( you do mean Grand Touring right?) which in the US was the top trim level. I imagine where the trouble would start would be with the Canadian VIN.

I don't understand what do you mean?
Our dealers here (Canada) have new business happening. They are buying out Canadian cars and importing them to USA for sale.
We actually starting to have shortage of good uses cars as they are all being sold to USA cuz of the exchange rate.

The 2016 was never intended for sale here in the lower 48. Therefore the car was never emissions or collision tested and certified in the states. Without those certifications the federal government wouldn't allow it to be sold here, new, or more importantly, used. The Infinity that is cited in the article is a different story because that car was readily available here in states.

The 2016 was never intended for sale here in the lower 48. Therefore the car was never emissions or collision tested and certified in the states. Without those certifications the federal government wouldn't allow it to be sold here, new, or more importantly, used. The Infinity that is cited in the article is a different story because that car was readily available here in states.

I imagine there are new 2015 Mazda5's still for sale in Canada that can be imported... otherwise good point regarding regulatory hurdles.

Are there real differences in the 2016 Mazda5 vs the 2015 Mazda5?
Or is it just a new paint code here, a new radio option there, and a pinstripe or two?

Interesting that Chrysler just announced their new Pacifica that will be a 'mini-minivan' which looks very similar to the Mazda5, but with more features and a much higher price tag it would appear.

The new Pacifica is hardly a mini minivan. Looking at the pictures on C&D site its a standard minivan, which compared to the 5 is a MAXI van LOL Looks like FCA decided to euthanize the T&C moniker for their newest vans. I'm sure its very nice, but hardly a 5 replacement, the cheapest one will likely be about 30k US, and that ain't cheap.

The new Pacifica is hardly a mini minivan. Looking at the pictures on C&D site its a standard minivan, which compared to the 5 is a MAXI van LOL Looks like FCA decided to euthanize the T&C moniker for their newest vans. I'm sure its very nice, but hardly a 5 replacement, the cheapest one will likely be about 30k US, and that ain't cheap.

This is just the Town and Country re-branded. Huge van, slow lethargic handling, seating for 8, big engines, big cost, looks nothing like the Mazda5. So the same old s*** they've been pouring out for years and nothing like the Mazda 5 at all.

Believe me, I'm no fan of Chrysler, but this Pacifica is said to have a plug in electric option as well.
I give credit where it's due and I'm not giving it yet - not til I see it - but a van with 80 mpge isn't the same old s***.
(Entirely likely to be s*** as it's still Chrysler, but this would qualify as NEW s***.)

Interesting that Chrysler just announced their new Pacifica that will be a 'mini-minivan' which looks very similar to the Mazda5, but with more features and a much higher price tag it would appear.

Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but I was looking at the specs of the new Pacifica minivan, and remembered this comment that it would be a 'mini minivan'. I have not seen the official comment from Mopar/Lancia or whatever, but here are the spect from the Wikipedia pages on the Pacifica and its predecessor, the Grand Caravan:

2015 Grand Caravan dimensions:
Wheelbase
121.2 in
Length
202.5 in (5,144 mm)
Width
76.9 in (1,953 mm)
Height
68.9 in (1,750 mm)
Curb weight
4,306 lb (1,953 kg)

2017 Pacifica dimensions:
Wheelbase
121.6 in (3,089 mm)
Length
203.6 in (5,171 mm)
Width
79.6 in (2,022 mm)
Height
69.9 in (1,775 mm)

So every single dimension has increased. I couldn't find the gvw for the Pacifica, but I doubt it got any lighter ;)

The sad thing about Chrysler is that they have been major movers in just about every change in the automobile industry for decades - they invented or popularized the minivan, the crossover, and the luxury SUV. They were also the only company making station wagons and hatchbacks in NA for a decade, and they actually tried (although failed) to make a decent small car (but IMO no other American manufacturer has succeeded in doing it, either). If only they could find that hole in their vault where the money keeps leaking out, and maybe for once make a car who's build quality isn't a stain on the reputation of the American worker... I doubt the Italian ownership is going to accomplish these things, so we will have to wait for their next bankruptcy restructuring (my guess is around 2020).

Compare the dimensions to the Sienna and Odyssey and it'll seem a bit small :)

Sadly, no... The Fiat Pacifica is the behemoth's behemoth...

Toyota Sienna Dimensions:
Wheelbase
119.3 in (3,030 mm)
Length
200.2 in (5,085 mm)
Width
78.2 in (1,986 mm)
Height
68.9 in (1,750 mm)
Curb weight
4,310 lb (1,950 kg)

Honda Odyssey Dimensions: