Mazda5 vs CX-5 wheels

:
Mazda, Protege5
Hello all,
About a month ago, I purchased a snow wheel+tire package on Tirerack for my wife's 2014 CX-5. The ones I purchased are 225 70 16 Blizzaks and 16x7 Sport Edition F7 with a 40+ offset.

It has been pretty warm lately so there was not a rush to put these on, they are still at my house with the shipping packaging on them.

My wife and I spontaneously decided to trade in her CX-5 for a 2015 Mazda5. We heard they were being discontinued, and she was interested in Mazda5 for the minivan like characteristics without being a minivan, and we got a good deal.

Anyways, I am trying to figure out what to do with the brand new wheel and tire package. Tirerack said they would take them back, but I have to pay a return shipping fee and some other fees that are like $145 dollars.

I was thinking of using the wheels I purchased, and buying new snow tires for the new Mazda5.

Will there be any issues using the 16x7 40+ offset wheels on the Mazda5? The difference seems small, and there is a lot of clearance room in the wheel well.

Thanks

Last edited:
Your 16x7 rims with +40 offset should be just fine on your new Mazda5. I think you are right not to use the 225/70/16 snow tires since they are going to be much taller than the car has clearance for. I'm currently running 205/60/16 snow tires and even that is slightly taller than the OEM wheel and tire setup.

My wife and I spontaneously decided to trade in her CX-5 for a 2015 Mazda5. We heard they were being discontinued, and she was interested in Mazda5 for the minivan like characteristics without being a minivan, and we got a good deal.

Very interesting. Congrats on the new 5. :)

So, what do you think of the 5 in comparison to the CX-5?

Congratulations! They are offering some great rebates on the 2015 Mazda5's at the moment.

Slightly Off topic: I have read somewhere that Mazda will be replacing the Mazda Premacy (Mazda5), however even if that happens, no telling if it will come to USA. There is still a slim hope for a Skyactiv Mazda5...
(uhm)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, and sorry for not getting back sooner. I did not know I got any replies though. I thought this forum was like some of the others I frequent, such as mr2.com and replies to threads I subscribe to automatically sends an email to me letting me know.

Your 16x7 rims with +40 offset should be just fine on your new Mazda5. I think you are right not to use the 225/70/16 snow tires since they are going to be much taller than the car has clearance for. I'm currently running 205/60/16 snow tires and even that is slightly taller than the OEM wheel and tire setup.
Thanks,
I think I will just try to use the wheels.
As for the tires, I might try to sell them, or might just save them for something in the future. I think they fit my Ford Ranger, but I only put about 1k miles a year on it, and it wouldn't be worth it changing out the tires, or buying new wheels for it.

For the Mazda5, I will probably get 205/60/16 snow tires. They are a little taller than stock, but a lot cheaper than 205/55/16 in the tires that I have looked at so far.

Thanks. I guess what is more interesting is that she went from a GT 2007 CX-7, to a 2014 sport CX-5, and now to a 2015 sport Mazda5.

She loved her CX-5. It looked nice, got great gas mileage, but there was things missing on it that she had on the CX-7.

The main thing was power, the CX-5 power was horrible. She didn't realize how much she missed the power of the CX-7 until she needed to pass someone.
The other stuff she missed was the fancy bells and whistles that was on the GT model of the CX-7, and probably the higher models of the CX-5. Mostly the keyless entry.

The CX-5 had a horrible radio/nav/bluetooth system. So slow, buggy, and inconsistent. Connecting an iPhone, you never knew if it was going to work or not.

One of my biggest complaint was the price of the CX-5, I think it was overpriced compared to some of the competition.

As for the Mazda5, many would consider this a step down from the CX-5, but we had some reasons.

We needed something with more seats, like a mini-van. We were planning of having another kid, we have 3 already. With the 3, the CX-5 was getting a little snug. Also, the day after we bought the Mazda5, my wife found out she was pregnant, so we traded just in time.

She did not want to drive a traditional mini-van, and the Mazda5 is basically the same dimensions of her CX-5, just a little closer to the ground. Which is good, because she is super short, 4' 9", and she had to kind of jump into the CX-5 and 7.

She likes the way it drives, and is getting use to the way it looks. We are replacing the old fashion head unit with something with a nav in it, and probably something with Carplay. Her payment is lower, but her fuel bill will be more. She does lots of driving, so that part sucks.

Congratulations! They are offering some great rebates on the 2015 Mazda5's at the moment.

Slightly Off topic: I have read somewhere that Mazda will be replacing the Mazda Premacy (Mazda5), however even if that happens, no telling if it will come to USA. There is still a slim hope for a Skyactiv Mazda5...
(uhm)

I hope Mazda replaces the Mazda5, but everywhere I have read, it probably will not be replaced in the USA anytime soon. The skyactiv would have been nice in the Mazda5, although I would rather have a little more power over the better fuel economy. The turbo motor in the CX-7 we own had a good amount of power, but the fuel mileage sucked really bad. That is why my wife traded it for the CX-5.

Why can't Mazda get this right? It seems other companies have increased their power with MPGs.

So other thoughts I forgot to include about the 5 vs CX-5:

CX-5 pros:
I think the handling of the CX-5 is slightly better than the 5, although it is pretty close. I think I read somewhere that the skidpad was the same though.
The ride seem like it was also a bit more comfy in the CX-5.
The interior is a bit more modern and nicer in the CX-5.
Fuel mileage in the CX-5 is noticeably better.
The motor is super quiet, almost too much. I am not sure if it is running sometimes.

Pros for the Mazda5:
The power/torque in the 5 is a little better than the CX-5.
The room for the kids in the back is better in the 5.
There are cup holders everywhere in the 5.
The sliding doors are great on the 5, my children are not going to accidentally slam their car doors into my cars when my wife parks next to me.

Overall, I think most people would like the CX-5 over the 5, but my family's needs have changed, and the CX-5 is just not meeting them.

It isn't bad though. I was considering trading in my 2003 Mazda Protege5, the vivid yellow, with the black leather interior model for a Mazda 5 a few years ago. I would have gotten the manual trans. But, I couldn't part with my P5.

Congrats on buying a vehicle that suits your purpose better :)

I still drive a P5, but we purchased a new-used 2010 Mazda5 last year since we had a baby on the way. We sold my wife's 2002 Protege to upgrade. We knew we wanted to stay in the Mazda family and the Mazda5 was the absolute perfect fit for us---financially, functionality, and size wise (I'm 5'4 and she's 4'11). We park both of our vehicles in our garage so having the convenience of sliding doors was a must. We do have to keep the garage door open though if we're unloading groceries from the hatch area.

We have loved owning the Mazda5. My wife, who dislikes driving, says it's by far her favorite vehicle ever owned and actually looks forward to driving our now 10-month old around sometimes.

The added bonus is that this is now our fourth Mazda (the other being a Mazdaspeed3), so there's familiarity with maintenance and how-to's/installs since the Mazda5 is built upon the previous Mazda3 platform.

Looks like the TireRack website suggests a 48 - 50 mm offset when going to a 7 inch wide tire on the 2015 Mazda5.
But to be sure, you'll want to take a good close look to make sure you're not rubbing at full turn.

I too recently migrated into a Mazda5, but I actually downsized from a Dodge Grand Caravan that was falling apart.
My wife averaged less than 16 mpg in around town driving in the DGC. Two months in with the 5, she's averaging a little under 24 mpg. And on a short journey to my aunt's home for Thanksgiving, about 35 miles, 80% highway, the ScanGuageII reported 30.5 mpg. I've been really pleased with the mileage. What were you getting in the CX-5? And what are you currently getting in your 5? And driving the 5 on twisties isn't quite as much fun as my tricked out Miata, but it's closer to the Miata than it is to the DGC. Looking into that rear sway bar upgrade.

My move to the Mazda5 was mostly driven by reliability (Consumer Reports reliability on these things since 2012 has been stellar) and I don't think there's a more fuel efficient vehicle that can transport 6 people (my size family) comfortably. Longer trips will take some more planning and either a tray on back or a rooftop carrier, or maybe a motorcycle trailer, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there (likely in about a month).

Last edited:
Looks like the TireRack website suggests a 48 - 50 mm offset when going to a 7 inch wide tire on the 2015 Mazda5.
But to be sure, you'll want to take a good close look to make sure you're not rubbing at full turn.

I too recently migrated into a Mazda5, but I actually downsized from a Dodge Grand Caravan that was falling apart.
My wife averaged less than 16 mpg in around town driving in the DGC. Two months in with the 5, she's averaging a little under 24 mpg. And on a short journey to my aunt's home for Thanksgiving, about 35 miles, 80% highway, the ScanGuageII reported 30.5 mpg. I've been really pleased with the mileage. What were you getting in the CX-5? And what are you currently getting in your 5? And driving the 5 on twisties isn't quite as much fun as my tricked out Miata, but it's closer to the Miata than it is to the DGC. Looking into that rear sway bar upgrade.

My move to the Mazda5 was mostly driven by reliability (Consumer Reports reliability on these things since 2012 has been stellar) and I don't think there's a more fuel efficient vehicle that can transport 6 people (my size family) comfortably. Longer trips will take some more planning and either a tray on back or a rooftop carrier, or maybe a motorcycle trailer, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there (likely in about a month).

I am going to try the wheels. The offset it about 10mm off, but it looks like there is plenty of room. If it doesn't work, I will post the issue here for anyone searching a similar issue.

I keep track of all the fuel mileage using an app, so I will post my current and recent cars for reference. I notice that driving habits seem to impact some of my cars, more than others.
These numbers are averages every time I pumped gas.

Car ____________________Average_____________Highest ______________Lowest
91 MR2 Turbo_______________21________________24.2_________________17.4
94 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4_______12.2_______________17.3_________________9.3
2003 Mazda P5______________23.4______________ 28.1_________________19.1
2007 Mazda CX-7____________17 This vehicle was deleted, so I am guessing
2014 Mazda CX-5____________29.4_______________31.2________________28.4
2015 Mazda5______________Too early to tell. But it looks like it will probably be around 25 MPG average.

Keep in mind, that my wife drove the CX-7, CX-5, and Mazda5. I drive the others.

The fuel mileage is much more important to my Wife, she does a lot of driving. I personally would prefer power over fuel economy.

I think if I had to put them into a fun category, like speed+handling, it would go Most fun>MR2, P5, CX-7, CX-5, Mazda5, Ranger>least fun. CX-5 is fun, until you have to pass someone. Mazda5 seems to be almost as fun as the CX-5, but It still kinda feels like a minivan.

Last edited:
Congrats on buying a vehicle that suits your purpose better :)

I still drive a P5, but we purchased a new-used 2010 Mazda5 last year since we had a baby on the way. We sold my wife's 2002 Protege to upgrade. We knew we wanted to stay in the Mazda family and the Mazda5 was the absolute perfect fit for us---financially, functionality, and size wise (I'm 5'4 and she's 4'11). We park both of our vehicles in our garage so having the convenience of sliding doors was a must. We do have to keep the garage door open though if we're unloading groceries from the hatch area.

We have loved owning the Mazda5. My wife, who dislikes driving, says it's by far her favorite vehicle ever owned and actually looks forward to driving our now 10-month old around sometimes.

The added bonus is that this is now our fourth Mazda (the other being a Mazdaspeed3), so there's familiarity with maintenance and how-to's/installs since the Mazda5 is built upon the previous Mazda3 platform.

This is our 5th Mazda.

I had a 91 Protege, bought it from my parents in 98, and before I donated it, it had over 300k miles.

I currently have a 03 Protege5. Bought it new when I came back from a deployment overseas. It is the vivid yellow, black leather interior one. Love it, but it is slow, and the rust is starting to take over. It has 140k

My wife had a 2007 CX-7 Grand Touring. She brought it used in 2010, it only had 22k miles on it, but it ended up being plagued with problems. Almost all was covered under the warranty.
(timing belt, turbo, gauge cluster were all replaced in less than 36k miles.)It had some power though. She traded it at 90k

My wife got the 2014 CX-5 sport when she started doing 500 miles a week for her job. It is slow, and a little overrated imo. Every car magazine seemed to be in love with it. It handled pretty well though. Traded it @ 40k miles.

And now her Mazda5, which is a little early to tell how it will be, but so far it is good.

I love my P5, but it is starting to show it's age. About 2 years ago, rust started popping up everywhere. Until then, I thought I was lucky, because all the other P5s in the area that I have seen had rust on the wheel wells. But about the spring of 2014, my P5 started to have bubbling under the paint on the rear wheel wells, and the hood.

I like Mazda, although I feel like they lost their zoom-zoom. Do they have anymore Mazdaspeed models anymore?

After the horrible experience with the CX-7 my wife had, and the lack of power of the CX-5, I think my next new car, the one I replace my 03 P5, will probably be a Juke.

She likes the way it drives, and is getting use to the way it looks.

I've only had my 2013 5 for about 5000 miles, but driving it makes me smile every time so far. It just drives so easily and the steering is as good as I could wish for.

Regarding the looks, I like everything except the rear. Damn, as soon as I think I like the rear of the car then another 5 like mine drives by and I can hardly stand the way the rear looks. That's just me. I'll live with it. (boom01)

Pros for the Mazda5:
The power/torque in the 5 is a little better than the CX-5.

There is a dyno chart somewhere* showing a very nice torque curve for the 2.5L Mazda 5. 90% of total torque and higher all the way from 2100 rpm through 5600 rpm. My 5 pulls easily from low rpms considering it is a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder gas engine. The only time my 5 feels truly weak is when it has 4 adults in it with a full cargo load driving at 70 to 80 mph and facing a solid headwind. Other than that, it is very good for a small engined vehicle.

*The chart is on this page - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mazda5-technology-upgrade,3966-8.html

Pros for the Mazda5:
Sliding doors.

Yep. I'm surprised how much I really like the two sliding doors so far.

My wife got the 2014 CX-5 sport when she started doing 500 miles a week for her job.

That's about how many miles I average per week. Almost all for work. The 5 eats it up, but it's a bonus that gas is cheap now. I just paid $1.39 a gallon today, which is crazy . . . but I'll take it while I can. :D

Last edited:
Back