2002 P5 Shifting Issue...

Hi guys i have been experiencing a issue with my P5 2002 auto and was wondering if someone could lend me some insight on what could be happening!

2 weeks ago when It was really cold out..i started the car and was headed to work when about 10 mins into the drive the car would not shift into 3rd gear and just kept over reving like it wasnt catching the gear. I stopped at a gas station, shut off car and restarted and it did it again on the highway on the way to work but not as bad. By the time i got to work the OD light was flashing and it was shifting rough. I checked the code when I got to work and got P0762.

The next day I started the car (leaving from work) and the car drove fine with no issues. A day later I went to the mechanic and explained what had happened and he checked the codes. I didnt have any codes stored in the memory so he recommended changing the fluid and tranny oil filter since it looked burnt. Car has 90K on it and I purchased the car with 78K on it. We did a tranny flush and changed the filter. The fluid was very dark but no metal shavings were found. Also the filter was slightly clogged.

After changing the atf the car seems to drive like normal again until I get on the car. Now when I press the gas hard it revs a lil higher than normal and hesitates on changing gears (not as bad but there is a hesitation). If I drive normal I do not feel any difference at all. Still no codes have popped up nor has the OD light flashed again.

Any insight would be helpful....

You may have a clutch seal that isn't holding pressure resulting in the slippage and burnt fluid. Hard to diagnose over a forum.

clutch seal on an automatic?

Clutch packs are applied and held by hydraulic pressure. There are seals on the clutch piston to hold that pressure, if the seal is leaking, you'll lose some of that pressure and the clutch pack won't apply nearly as strong, resulting in slippage.

Same thing applies to band servos, although I'm not sure if these transmissions use them.

Back