Throw out bearing/clutch advice

bcoe3

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys. Getting a loud chirping noise when in neutral and the sound will go away when I push in the clutch. I can only assume it is a throw out bearing or so I hope. I also notice my shifts are pretty rough as well as reverse. I plan on getting an entire new clutch kit unless anyone else thinks it could be something else. I'm expecting 4-5 hours of labor so it will be a pretty penny and I'm honestly thinking about selling the car (already put more than 3k in two years, 140k miles). If anyone can convince me to keep the car and potential cheap clutch kits that would be sweet. Thanks

Well dude. its up to you. I will say that when I bought my MSP back in May, I thought $2600 was a steal. And it WAS a good deal.. but these things seem to be harder to sell recently. I saw a guy on FB for a LONG time trying to sell his. That being said.. maybe you'd have better luck.. IDK.

Why can't you do the work yourself? I know it seems like crazy work to do in the driveway, but its really not THAT hard. Compared to what you're gonna pay a shop... I say keep it. But next to keeping it, I would part it out before I try to sell an MSP as a whole car. But thats my opinion and they WILL vary from person to person. ;)

Most people can't handle dropping a transmission, even if it can be done in 30 mins with an experienced tech and a lift. Any car this old you buy will have required maintenance like a clutch, timing belt, etc. The MSP is no different than any other 12 year old car, in fact they are damn reliable.

Latest posts

Back