New MP5 owner.

mydogthecow

:
Mazda Protege5
That's right, a dark blue 2003 mazda protege5, 115k miles, manual transmission, no ABS, no sun/moon roof(if that was offered), but has a roof rack. Non leather seats(Thank god, it's Florida) It has a mango sized dent in the trunk(PICTURES COMING SOON, ITS DARK OUTSIDE CURRENTLY) and about 3 minor door dings on the door panels.

It's a hand me down daily from my mom who had gotten it new in 03. She now has a new car and I get her old MP5 for commuting to college/work(I'm 19). I plan to keep it for 2-4 years so I just want reliability and a $1,000 budget so I can get my money back.

The engine coolant reservoir has a hole on the side. It had occurred like 4 months or so-to prevent any more from leaking I had used duct tape to patch it up, which lasted up until now so I had ordered a new one https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

The valve cover seal appears to be leaking(Oil is coming down on a few areas) so I had ordered a new valve cover set.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I hate driving it at the moment because I could feel a dime or better yet a sheet of paper if I drive over one. It's definitely in need of new tires(Front&rear) possibly brake pads too. Struts/shocks have NEVER been replaced and so I think that or the tires(or combination of both) are the culprit for bumpy ride. Are these good shocks?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

To end on a high note I intend to put in a sound system. I already have the door speakers(BOSS 250watt(2) & 350watt(2) phantom series), I have a custom built box that houses two 10s. All the possible wires I would need, but one problem.

Mazda 24/7 society I'm in need of your assistance. I have an alpine double din head unit (Model No. IVE-W530, Serial No. 1101067) that I can't find a compatible dash kit for that also fits my MP5. I ordered Metra's "Installer Choice" that said it would fit but it doesn't- it's too big for my head unit (Part #99-7505)

Welcome to the club, Post some pics up! For the struts I agree with Mazda_1920. KYB are your best stock replacements, if you don't plan on lowering the car. Stagg struts are also pretty popular and have lasted years for some people. I also think they have lifetime warranty? I'd check those out since I think they're cheaper than KYB's and can handle a small drop. As for the radio kit, I don't think there is anything made specifically for the protege's that will fit a 6.1" radio perfectly since that's not a standard size. Might have to fab something up or head over to an audio store to see what they say. Also maybe check out an audio forum? Good luck!

You need the mounting sleeve and trim ring for the alpine, that's why it doesn't fit.

I'd be wary of those Boss speakers. Just because they say they're 250 watts RMS, doesn't mean they'll handle even a tenth of that. Otherwise, it should be fine so long as you don't use a Boss amp, because you're asking for some type of fire at that point.

The front and rear driver side doors won't lock with the key fob, any helpful links to replacing the (guessing) door actuator(?)
Same for the trunk

Thank you Taco Cat! Very helpful, and Balls"Martyballs"(idk the guy who had told me about the sleeve), you two are such great help!! :D

Back