Help! Car backfires and bogs down at 3k *drives rough*

Evob7m

:
2003.5 Mazda Speed Protege Racing Beat edition
Hello everyone,
I am having some serious issues with my 03'MSP. The car cranks up but shortly after it will shut off. While driving the car itroughly jerks and bogs down at 3k. I didn't see any vacuum hoses off. The car smells like it's running extremely rich. 3-days ago I replaced the timing belt (made sure it was at TDC), tensioner, coilpacks, waterpump, and valve cover gasket. I am running out of ideas...I am wondering if the sparks plugs need to be replaced again? I took one out and they were black. Anyone gurus here in the Dallas area?

Any feedback will be gladly appreciated!

Yeah, I've been having the exact same problem bro.. read the post just a few down in same section :Heavy backfire / after fire at 3000 RPM

If you have any progress / solutions let me know.. I'll be sure to do the same amigo

I've gone replace crazy too.. nothing seeming to fix it.. I'm about to pull timing cover and check all that even though it was running properly before it sat in driveway for a few months..

Read my post :p

I will bet you money that you're off timing either at the crank or the exhaust camshaft. The same thing happened to me after I changed my timing belt too, turned out I was off timing at the exhaust cam even though I had triple checked to make sure it was at TDC. The cams like to move really easily so you have to hold them down with vice grips and the tie the handles down with wire or something. When I tore everything down a week later and tried to reset the timing, it took me like three hours because every time, either the exhaust cam or crank kept moving out of alignment. I finally got it done after I had my step dad hold the cams in place using vice grips while I slipped on the belt.

It's a pain in the ass to get the timing right the first time you do it. Once you learn it's a breeze

I'll try and do the timing belt again with vice-grips. Hopefully this solves everything.

I locked down the cams and triple checked to make sure everything was lined. I started the car seemed to idle fine but when I started to drive it hesitated at 3k ( not as much though) and blew the IC pipe off. Now the car has a flickering oil light and shuts off still. Also, I am getting a lot of smoke from the oil breather on the valve cover. ]

Sounds like you have a completely different problem now. Do you have enough oil in the crank case? Also, when was the last time you replaced your PCV valve? A clogged PCV valve will cause a build up of gases within the crank case and in extreme cases blow your head gasket. Even if your PCV valve is ok, I'd go ahead and replace it given its like $3 at Autozone.

The only other possibility I can think of is a bad oil pump, which would explain the flickering oil light, if you had the right amount of oil and there wasn't any particularly bad leaks.

PCV has been replaced. It isn't running the way it should. Does anyone know a shop in DFW that work on these cars?

Back