CX-5 20x8 possible?

viclauyyc

:
Mazda, CX-5 GS 2016
Wife just got a 2016 CX-5 that need winter tire/rim. I am thinking to get a set of 20 or 19" rim with 8 inch wide. Is it doable? Or I better stay with 7" or 7.5"?

thanks ahead.

Vic

Stay with the standard wheel. Wide tires will make your vehicle a nice skier on snow or wet. Ed

Wheels don't measure only by diameter and width, but by offset as well... Your tire size will also play a major role.

Ed is right. I saw a test done where tires of different widths were used to drive in snow. The more narrow you go, typically the better they handle in snow. I would have guessed a wider tire putting more tread down would be better for snow but not typically the case.

I am the OP.
So I will stay with 7" for winter.
But for summer rim, can I do 20x8?

Also, there is a debate on the snow tires width? Most said narrow is the way to go. But some said wider is better traction. For example, in snow condition. And thinner is better for ice...

I have 20" x 9.25" x offset(ET) 36, 225/45R20 tires. I would not go with lower number then 36. Higher number means, that it will go toward the center of the car. Factory offset is 50.
With that tire width, I have a slight stretch of the tires.
Check post #2228, that is my car:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123826557-What-Did-You-Do-for-Your-CX-5-Today/page149

That is very nice. But the width is 9.5" vs factory 7". Wiill the tyre touch the body? It is rather hard to find 7" rim. I don't know what Mazda is thinking...

It will make the car slower and consume more fuel. I wouldn't do it just for those reasons alone.

Please educate me, other than the increase weight on the rim, how will it make the car slower and use more gas? After all the diameter of the tyre is the same as 17 inch. Isn't it?

Mine is 9.25" wide, not 9.5".
Some use even 10" wide wheels and they don't have issues.
I don't have any rubbing issues at all and I'm lowered 3-1/4".
You can get any width up to 10", if you are not lowered that much as I am. It all depends on the wheel offset also.

Last edited:
If you swap to a snow wheel yearly snow traction is irrelevant. For sporty summer performance the 8 wide wheel and tire make a big difference in handling. As far as mpg if you want to maximize it stick with oem size or smaller.

Please educate me, other than the increase weight on the rim, how will it make the car slower and use more gas? After all the diameter of the tyre is the same as 17 inch. Isn't it?

That's like asking of soda pop, "other than the extra corn syrup calories, how will it make me gain weight?" (dunno)

While the diameter of the tire remains identical, the rim (which is where a wheel carries most of it's weight) will be larger diameter which puts the weight further from the axle. Furthermore, both the tread of the tire and the rim will be wider thus even more weight is carried out from the axle.

Yes according mikeM we all should all be running something like 195/80R16 tires on sub 12lbs rims!!! Only then can you appease mikeM as that will be about the smallest rim you can fit around the brake calipers and rotors so as not to have rotational mass to far from the center. And of course those narrower tires are going to be the end all be all since there is less rubber on the road there will be less friction and you will get great gas mileage!!! Just don't ever drive around any corners ever!!!

In all seriousness tire size and plus or minus sizes change the driving dynamic of the car. A larger wheel with a wider tire and a stiffer shorter sidewall will most likely provide better lateral traction thru the corners, more tread on the road more traction. But you might suffer in acceleration and MPG with that larger wheel tire combo. It all depends on what you want out of the tires and wheels you are putting on your own car. Maybe your looking for better handling response or a more compliant ride, maybe it's purely looks you're going after and don't care about handling, mpg or acceleration. Your car do what you want. If you want 20" wheel, yes they'll fit and probably look pretty cool too

Yes according mikeM we all should all be running something like 195/80R16 tires on sub 12lbs rims!!!

That is a completely wrong and ignorant characterization of what I've said on this forum and in real life. If your reading comprehension is so low that you can't mention me without distorting my comments, then you should refrain from trying to characterize my comments.

Re-read what I wrote. Even a second grader can see that I only said that I personally would not run 8 X 20 on a CX-5 (for performance reasons as well as economical reasons). I never said what you should run. I did make others aware of some of the tradeoffs of larger rims. Obviously, this chafes you greatly.

Grow up and get over it. This forum is for exchanging information and ideas.

mikeM, the first thing you responded with to the persons question was
That's like asking of soda pop, "other than the extra corn syrup calories, how will it make me gain weight?"
Why? was making that analogy really helping the cause? No it wasn't, it was belittling the person who asked it. Perhaps he doesn't have as good a grasp on what effects different sizes wheels and tires can have on a vehicle. Often, you respond with cocky and condesending comments such as that if someone asks a question or makes a comment that you don't agree with. I think everyone on here knows how you feel about larger wheels, modified suspensions, and performance mods. You wouldn't do them to your car, we get it, we all get it! You get to make a condescending comment towards someone else but one is made towards you you get pissy and attack that person such as saying their reading comprehension is very low and that they are basically no smarter then a second grader. My reading comprehension is quite high and the comment I made stems from the fact that you often comment with an attitude of superiority that I find detrimental to this community and the people who come here looking for advice and solutions to their problems. Did't you mother ever teach you that if you have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

was making that analogy really helping the cause?

I believe the analogy was helpful because Viclauyyc asked, "Please educate me, other than the increase weight on the rim, how will it make the car slower and use more gas?".

My analogy using a sugary drink made it clear that the ONLY reason a 20x8 wheel would be slower than a smaller rim would be the placement of the extra weight on the rim. The false implication of Vic's question was that extra weight wouldn't make it significantly slower.

Perhaps he doesn't have as good a grasp on what effects different sizes wheels and tires can have on a vehicle.

True, that's why I took time out of my day to explain the specifics in what (I hope) was a clear and concise manner.

Often, you respond with cocky and condesending comments such as that if someone asks a question or makes a comment that you don't agree with.

I'm sorry you feel my response was cocky but, personally, I think you are being far to sensitive. I'm not going to candy coat my language to satisfy overly sensitive people like you. My advice: grow a little thicker skin. Otherwise you'll go through life feeling like everyone is being unfair to you.

I think everyone on here knows how you feel about larger wheels, modified suspensions, and performance mods.

Obviously you are wrong about that or you wouldn't have mischaracterized my statements. Also, Vic obviously didn't think that extra rim weight would have a noticeable effect on acceleration which is obviously false because I feel the difference every time I switch between my summer and (lighter) winter setup.

My reading comprehension is quite high and the comment I made stems from the fact that you often comment with an attitude of superiority that I find detrimental to this community and the people who come here looking for advice and solutions to their problems. Did't you mother ever teach you that if you have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

LOL! If my helpful answer wasn't worded "politely" enough to appease you then you really need to desensitize yourself a little bit. Didn't your mother ever teach you that you can't go through life getting upset about every little thing that does not meet your personal standard of gentle politeness.

And didn't your father teach you that's it's wrong to bear false witness against another? That's why I corrected your mischaracterization of my comments.

My soda analogy was written in exactly the same spirit as the question I responded to that began "Please educate me...". If that is not touchy-feely enough for you then please use the "Ignore" feature this sight has provided for people like you. Seriously, I mean it.

Sometimes I feel Mike is being a butt hole as well. I voiced it before. I usually just say something about it then go on. Only because he is way older and wiser than me even though I don't always agree with what or how he said it. Usually he said some valuable s*** or shared a personal story that's worth applying to my own life. That evens it out for me.

the mazda GT come with 19x8, i am looking to get 20x8.5 for summer tire (20x8 is hard to find)

my average fueleco is near 11.4L per 100km for my past 800km mixed(including half hour idling at dealer when the sale introduce me all the futures XD)

btw anyone know the weight of the OEM 19" rim?

enkei GTC 20"x8.5 24.3lb rim 620CAD ea

enkei 19"x8 RPF1 (19.4lb) 500CAD ea

enkei Lusso 20x8.5 (26.85lb) 250CAD ea (more likely to go with this or TSW)

TSW nurburgring RF 20x8.5 (23lb) 500CAD ea

Last edited:
as i read somewhere

OEM 19" rim+ toyo tire = 59LB if i remember correctly

so if i get

enkei RPF1 19"(19.4LB) + Falken 453cc(32LB) = 51.4LB

TSW interlago 20" (22LB) + Ohtsu FP8000( 32LB) = 54LB

as i heard they both soft side walled, so its fairly comfortable in those sizes

Back