Smoother shifting

BMXDAD

2019 CX5 GT
:
Mazda 2015 CX9 GT
My 2008 was a great ride and the transmission shifted smooth as butter both up and down and in hilly terrain even pulling a small trailer. With my 2015 GT it seems that when I am on a smooth flat road and in traffic and get into 4th showing on the dash and with intermittently giving it the gas pedal and coasting, there is a jerkiness going on. Is there some adjustment needed? 16K miles.

If this has been asked and answered please direct me to the thread.

thanks

I agree. My 5 year old Toyota Highlander shifts way better than our 2015 Mazda CX-9. Seems twitchy and clunky at times. I'm assuming there needs to be some tuning in the software and will probably come back with a TSB at some point.

Agree, my 2014 also, I thought it was just me, I can feel jerkiness when slowing down always in 4th gear, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fuel economy programming, also I feel heavy engine braking on downhill highways, almost like the car is going to stop in the highway. I changed transmission oil and still the same.

Have you guys also experienced the lurching when parallel parking when you have to shift between drive and reverse, there's a very noticeable lurching going on.

Last edited:
I have not noticed the lurching when parallel parking. Might be a NY thing. Out here in Texas there is more open space so i can usually avoid having to parallel park.

i do agree on the engine brake sensation too. Feels like a cross between engine shut down and downshifting.

I wonder if anything's changed with the programming. My 2009 is still shifting smoothly at 105,000 miles.

My 2008 was a great ride and the transmission shifted smooth as butter both up and down and in hilly terrain even pulling a small trailer. With my 2015 GT it seems that when I am on a smooth flat road and in traffic and get into 4th showing on the dash and with intermittently giving it the gas pedal and coasting, there is a jerkiness going on. Is there some adjustment needed? 16K miles.
thanks

I can confirm jerkiness in 4th gear also on my 2013 when coming to a stop BUT I've notice only on a downhill incline.
It's almost as if I can predict it, there's a downhill incline at a red stop before a mall entrance and everytime I hit a red light,
I know as I slow down and when it hits gear 4, sure enough there's a jerkiness instead of a gradual stop. I think it has something to do with the CX-9 grade incline sensor and engine cutoff to save fuel. On highways and going fast, then slowing down on a downhill, I can feel heavy engine braking almost as if the car has a mind of it's own and can feel the car braking hard.

If this has been asked and answered please direct me to the thread.

thanks

Our 2011 does the same thing. It shifts down to assist slowing the vehicle while breaking or while going downhill. My 08 does not do this. My old Toyota Corrolla did this as well, so when I noticed it while test driving, it was a familiar feeling. It's programmed to do it. No worries.

Latest posts

Back