New CX-9 Engine Break-in / Run-in

:
CX-9
Dear Experts

Need your help for some peace of mind.

Bought a new Classic Auto. Did a usual city/town driving (signals etc) for about 160 km. used to drive it for about few kms then not drive a couple of days, then drive again. then I did not drive it for 3-4 days.
Then we went on a long drive during a weekend. the car got an opportunity for in-city driving (under 60 km/hr + signal stop and go etc) for a few KMs.
before I got on the freeway (semi-hilly ups/downs. speed limits varying 80Km/r, 100 km/hr and predominantly 110 km/hr.), the in-town total odo-reading was about 160 Kms.

then the freeway driving was mainly 110 km/hr. i did vary the speed a bit up and a bit low. but the x1000 rpms was more or less around 2 in the Tachometer. I did 3 or 4 stops and there were several towns in between with 80 Km/hr speed limits.
this driving was about 450 Kms. At the end of this journey the total odo reading was 610 Kms.

then I did about 80 kms of in-city ( <=60 km/hr + signals stop and go) driving. then i headed back on the freeway. this time i was more willing to piss off the cars coming behind me by driving at 80-90km/hr even on a 110 km.hr freeway(of-course i was in the slow lane). i did several accelerations and decelerations and made sure speed varied and rpms varied.(1.5 to 2.5 on the tachometer).

Ever since I had this car about 3 weeks ago, I have never used cruise control. never tied a trailer. But I did use the AC for most of the journey but i was turnign it off at times when it was not hot.

My simple question - Have I done a proper engine break-in/run-in?

Why I ask this question?

on the freeway, when there were descents and i was at 100-110 km/hr, if I just took my foot off the accelerator, I could feel some sort of braking effect (as if something it trying to hold it back) and the car didnt move freely and accelerate due to gravity. on the contrary it steadily decelerated. If i did this on a flat road without any angle, the car quickly starts dropping from 110 km/hr to 90-80-70 etc.

is this sort of behavior normal in a new car(odo now is 1200 kms) ?

Last edited:
To answer your last question first, you’re experiencing fuel shut off during long, closed throttle, coasting. It’s perfectly normal. If you have the readout for instant mileage per gallon(or whatever your unit of volume is), when you feel it “dragging” the readout should max out(in the US, it’s 99.9mpg), which means the computer has shut the fuel off to the engine.

Regarding your break-in method, I would say you’re fine. You can ask that question to 100 people and get 101 different answers. Breaking in a new car these days is much different than the old days. When I bought my MazdaSpeed 6 a few years back, I drove it 20 miles on the freeway to my house, then immediately the next day I took a 150 mile freeway road trip(which was followed by 150 miles back 2 days later) and never had any issues. My opinion is to take it easy for the first 500-1000 miles(km) and then drive normal. Don’t overthink it.

Back