Rear Bumper Guard install template?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Anyone have the rear bumper guard install templates that come with the OEM rear bumper guard strip? I have one that didn't come with the templates and was hoping someone maybe held on to there's and would be able to scan it into a PDF 1:1 scale or something so that I could print it off and use it. Looks to be just a paper cut out that gets taped into place at either end of the bumper. Any help is appreciated.

I had the OEM bumper guard, but removed it for a much larger/better coverage aftermarket one. However I do remember that the OEM template was useless. It put the bumper guard too far back on the bumper, leaving the edge of the bumper exposed. I would just eyeball where you want it and put painters tape on either side of the bumper for a reference mark, before sticking the bumper guard down.

I am about to install (2nd time, as bumper was recently replaced). I don't recall if I adjusted the first time to set the guard as close to the edge as possible; if I did, the templates at least provide good reference points.

The templates are cut from thin cardboard. Let me see if I can PM you with the PDF . . .

I had the OEM bumper guard, but removed it for a much larger/better coverage aftermarket one. However I do remember that the OEM template was useless. It put the bumper guard too far back on the bumper, leaving the edge of the bumper exposed. I would just eyeball where you want it and put painters tape on either side of the bumper for a reference mark, before sticking the bumper guard down.

What aftermarket one did you go with? Any pics?

I ordered OEM Mazda door sill plate protectors from Amazon and they also did NOT come with templates. I just used my best judgment and online pics to get them installed. Just use blue painters tape to mark where it needs to go. It's not rocket science, just center it and make sure it doesn't hang too close to the edge.

What aftermarket one did you go with? Any pics?

I actually don't have any pics of it on my car, but here is a link to the one I have.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stai...ab_test=201556_10,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,0_0 Multip

If you search aliexpress for "cx5 rear bumper protector" you will find multiple styles and different prices for the same item. Do this first so you can get the best price for it. There are many sellers selling the same item for a lot of different prices.

What I like about this bumper protector is it covers the majority of the bumper AND covers a small portion of the lip of the bumper.

So far I have had it for over a year and no signs of rust, looks as good as the first day I put it on.

Last edited:

We have the OEM Bumper guard. I agree the corner edge of the bumper is still exposed. My solution was to install 3m paint protection film. I cut then installed about a 1.5 - 2 inches thick strip to cover up the edges. Excellent rear bumper protection now. At least the top edge of it.

I actually don't have any pics of it on my car, but here is a link to the one I have.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stai...ab_test=201556_10,201527_3_71_72_73_74_75,0_0 Multip

If you search aliexpress for "cx5 rear bumper protector" you will find multiple styles and different prices for the same item. Do this first so you can get the best price for it. There are many sellers selling the same item for a lot of different prices.

What I like about this bumper protector is it covers the majority of the bumper AND covers a small portion of the lip of the bumper.

So far I have had it for over a year and no signs of rust, looks as good as the first day I put it on.

I Just scratch my head as to why mazda didn't do one like this for the CX-5 to begin with. The CX-9, Mazda5 and CX-7 all have similar styled bumper guards that are larger and go over the edge of the bumper but for some reason they designed the CX-5 differently?

I Just scratch my head as to why mazda didn't do one like this for the CX-5 to begin with.

They probably realized how pointless it was to put a bumper guard on when that just transferred any scratches from the bumper itself to the guard. Then you have a scratched bumper guard. Plus, in the end, most cars end up getting recycled/crushed within 15-20 years anyway. This kind of dwarfs the importance of whether any minor scratches or scuffs are on the rear bumper or whether their on a rear bumper guard..

They probably realized how pointless it was to put a bumper guard on when that just transferred any scratches from the bumper itself to the guard. Then you have a scratched bumper guard. Plus, in the end, most cars end up getting recycled/crushed within 15-20 years anyway. This kind of dwarfs the importance of whether any minor scratches or scuffs are on the rear bumper or whether their on a rear bumper guard..

Eh, I disagree with you there. I think it is MUCH easier to scratch a painted surface than a metal one. Also, the metal guard can be replaced if needed for cheaper than it would cost to respray the bumper. Some auto companies have a metal guard built into the bumper, like new jeep grand cherokees. Looks very good and covers the lip of the bumper too.

Eh, I disagree with you there. I think it is MUCH easier to scratch a painted surface than a metal one. Also, the metal guard can be replaced if needed for cheaper than it would cost to respray the bumper. Some auto companies have a metal guard built into the bumper, like new jeep grand cherokees. Looks very good and covers the lip of the bumper too.

Probably true, I just don't know many who are worried about a few scratches on their bumper from loading/unloading stuff. In the bigger picture it doesn't really matter a hill of beans because it's going to be recycled for scrap probably within 20 years. It's not like it's a Ferrari.

OP - Did you ever get "satisfaction" on this request? If not, PM me and I'll shoot my (once used) set in the mail to you, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am...

OP - Did you ever get "satisfaction" on this request? If not, PM me and I'll shoot my (once used) set in the mail to you, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am...

Yes, Another member scanned his templates in and emailed them to me to print off. I haven't gotten around to using them yet and a bit worried about the accuracy of the print off when I do it. I'll Pm you my address if you're willing to drop them in the mail that would be great!

And to note, I also disagree with MikeM on the usefulness of the bumper guard. I'd rather have a scratched up bumper guard that can be removed and replaced then a scratched up bumper that needs to be resprayed or replaced for a whole lot more money. Even as I plan on keeping the car 10+ years it could help come time to trade or sell to a private party. If the rear bumper guard is all scratched up, I'll just remove it and the bumper should be in like new condition. Same principal with the clear bra I installed, if down the road I plan on trading or selling the car the film could be removed and the front end be in near perfect condition. In fact the installer of my film told me that KBB and Edmunds plan on adding a Paint protection film option when researching the car and that it would add value because the car is in better shape.

The other thing about it too is that with a metal bumper guard, if it's scratched, some steel wool should clean it up nicely followed by some polishing to remove any marks or at least make them less noticeable. With scratches in the paint, there's only so much polish will take of.

Back