Anyone have the Katzkin leather installed in their 5?

JMJinNC

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport 6-speed
I'm considering a CX-5 Sport with manual, and the dealer has a local installer who can replace the cloth interior with Katzkin leather. So I thought I might get a quote on having Katzkin installed in my 2012 Mazda 5 Sport as well. Anyone here had this done on their M5 (or any other car, for that matter)?

Thanks - JMJ

I'm interested too. I couldn't help but notice that the OM says you should never replace or modify the seats in any way, because it could alter the operation of the airbags. Surely these aftermarket leather installers account for that...?

Well, these covers are supposedly made to fit the OEM seats, so I'd assume they would score the back of the leather over the airbags so they can burst through.

JMJ

I'm considering a CX-5 Sport with manual, and the dealer has a local installer who can replace the cloth interior with Katzkin leather. So I thought I might get a quote on having Katzkin installed in my 2012 Mazda 5 Sport as well. Anyone here had this done on their M5 (or any other car, for that matter)?

Thanks - JMJ

I've had it done on my 2013 5 Sport, and it turned out pretty well. I went with a two-tone, e.g. puddy in the centers and black on the bolsters. I got the contrasting (puddy) thread stitching, too, which was (in hindsight) a smart move.

Yes, the old cloth seat covers are removed and discarded.

In terms of price, assume $1500 installed for the entire vehicle, e.g. all three rows. It's a little cheaper to only do the first two rows. A little more for two-tone or contrasting stitching.

If you have a friend who works at a local new car dealership, ask him/her if you can get that dealership's discount plan with the installer, as the Katzkin installers do 99% of their business on behalf of local new car dealers. You'll likely be the only private individual who gets the leather installed in any particular week. Without the discount, you'll pay retail price. With your dealership's friend's help, you'll get a significant discount.

Thanks IAATM. Yes, the retail pricing seems prohibitive. I know someone who works at a Kia dealership, so that might be an option.

JMJ

Last edited:
Yes, ask your friend at the Kia dealership, by all means. FWIW, there were a LOT of brand-new Kia's having leather installed from a local dealership right alongside my Mazda 5.

http://imgur.com/a/FV7qI

I've worn through the seat on my 12 sport so this may be an option. They don't show up at my scrap yards.

IAATM - thanks for the link to the photos - that looks a lot nicer than the example that I saw in the dealer showroom.

JMJ

Back