I'm back in a 2!!! (sort of)

Richard_rsp

Contributor
:
2016 Scion iA
Hey everybody! I used to be active on here and had a 2011 Mazda 2 Touring that I loved... Well, I'm back!

Due to some financial decisions, I have decided to trade in my WRX and stepped into a 2016 Scion iA. Yes, yes, I know. It's a Scion. But it is truly a Mazda 2 inside and out (except for that iffy front end). Sterling is the color, 6-speed manual. Picked it up two days ago and so far it is excellent!

Future plans? I am hoping to autocross the iA, same as I did with the 2. So we will see...

Anyway, has anyone else considered the iA since the Mazda2 isn't sold in the United States anymore?

46DC7C7A-25DC-4A69-AF86-338CC6776316.jpg

580AD856-7321-4A99-B18B-17B5B41E482F.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! It Drives nice! Suspension is comfortable, but not much body roll. Engine is powerful enough for around town and seems to be comfortable maintaining speed, not so much pure acceleration. Transmission is smooth as butter.
It's a good bit quieter than I thought it would be. At times (cruising speed) I can't even tell the engine is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever since somebody said it looks like a large-mouth Bass, I can't stop thinking that when I see it. :(

Yeah I agree. They really should have just made it a Mazda2 and kept the Mazda front end. It looks so much better.

Given that, the Scion front end looks better in person than in pictures, and since it's a Scion, I get free maintenance for 25k miles, so there are some upsides. :shrug:

I was helping my parents with car shopping this past weekend, and among the 6 or 7 cars that we've looked at, the iA / M2 sedan was definitely one of the most driver-centric cars. You feel it the moment you get into the driver seat -- the sight lines are excellent, the controls are right where they should be. Things just feels natural in there.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for many other vehicles -- and the Civic was the biggest offender. My parents were just put off as soon as they sat in the car -- the windshield rake, the mile long dash, the 2 tier gauges... That car just wasn't meant to be a driver's car...

Thanks! It Drives nice! Suspension is comfortable, but not much body roll. Engine is powerful enough for around town and seems to be comfortable maintaining speed, not so much pure acceleration. Transmission is smooth as butter.
It's a good bit quieter than I thought it would be. At times (cruising speed) I can't even tell the engine is on.

Awesome! Good to hear.

Mike

I was helping my parents with car shopping this past weekend, and among the 6 or 7 cars that we've looked at, the iA / M2 sedan was definitely one of the most driver-centric cars. You feel it the moment you get into the driver seat -- the sight lines are excellent, the controls are right where they should be. Things just feels natural in there.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for many other vehicles -- and the Civic was the biggest offender. My parents were just put off as soon as they sat in the car -- the windshield rake, the mile long dash, the 2 tier gauges... That car just wasn't meant to be a driver's car...

I agree. It is a very nice car for the money. While I loved my 2011 Mazda2 Touring, there was nothing that I felt was really a 'nicety'. The Scion iA has quite a few, from the keyless start, backup camera, great bluetooth system, etc.

Welcome back!

Thanks! :)

How does the skyactiv 1.5 and 6-spd compare to the mzr and 5 spd? Is the clutch still rubber-bandish?

The clutch is very light and let's off high. I don't really feel that it is rubber bandish... The shifter is super smooth, (way more so than the 5 speed), but it feels less direct/mechanical than my 2011 did.

Great for commute, but sport driving will tell. I wouldn't mind a little bit more feedback when it goes into gear.

I have to replace my wife's 2006 Mini Cooper in approximately 3-4 months.
The iA was low on my list but after researching cars like the Fit, Prius C and Fiesta, they all have their issues.
It would be a perfect car in hatchback form but the body style shouldn't dictate my purchase though i despise sedans. The cx-3 and the iA are the only two on my list as of now. Still loving my 2011 2 Touring 5 speed.

Whoops sorry, just saw this.

I actually have owned two MINIs (2013 Cooper Hardtop and 2014 Clubman S). I'm always comparing it to my Cooper Hardtop. I miss the hatchback a bit, but the Scion is much more of a simple car - so easy to take apart and work on compared to the MINI. I installed a small amp/subwoofer, with a clean installation in no time.

I think those are good options! Had Mazda made a 2 hatch in the US, I would have likely gone that route. But alas...

I find the Mini very frustrating to work on. I'm no engineer or mechanic but the design of these cars are terrible. The CX-3 is off my list as I can not justify a car jumping 10 grand from base to GT trim and can't convince myself to get a sedan. I regret not getting rid of the Mini earlier and getting a new 2014 M2. Most likely getting the Scion iM. Never would get this car for myself but its super reliable, lots of tech and comfortable.

^ Why not look at the mazda3? I'm not too familiar with the new ones, but it seems the honda fit should also be considered.

Before I got my 2015 Mazda3 I did consider both the Scion iA and iM. I liked the iA because it is basically a Mazda but wanted a hatchback. So it came down to the iM or the Mazda3. I decided to open up the wallet and got the Mazda 3s Touring HB with the 6-speed manual.

^ Why not look at the mazda3? I'm not too familiar with the new ones, but it seems the honda fit should also be considered.
For this purchase, handling is a low priority. I need something extremely reliable and smaller than the 3. The Fit already has 3 recalls.
The iM is really boring but is loaded, just small enough and made in Japan. I'm planning to keep this car for 8-10 years and want the least headaches as possible.
Just hit 4.5 years/66K miles with my 11 Mazda2 and still runs like new. Definitely see myself keeping this car for another 5-6 years at least.
This car is so analog in a digital world.

In a review on youtube (Maybe TFLCar), they said that Scion/Toyota re-tuned the suspension to make it softer to match with the brand expectations of feel and handling. I assumed that this meant the real Mazda branded Mazda2 is more fun to drive.

20160206_145731.jpg

I ended up getting the iA for the wife (automatic) after test driving.
Overall a significantly better car than the 2 in terms of everything except driving dynamics.
The one thing that was very unexpected was the stereo sound quality.
BLows my stereo away even though I have aftermarket Polk db speakers.
Some quality issues are obvious due to the new factory set up but are minor.
Not as well put together as my 2011 mz2 but a much better car.
I like the idea there is only one year of the Scion iA until its a yaris in several months.

Last edited:
Back