I think it's time... Wheel Bearings Going Bad?

:
2007 CX-9 Grand Touring & 2015 Mazda3 5-door Grand TouringS
Hey all!

Back in January, I had the driver's side rear wheel bearings replaced. Brutus had been driving fine since then... until three weeks ago when I took him out. I got him up to 40 mph and there was a roar coming from the middle rear of the car. My tires are due to be replaced, and I'm secretly hoping it's the tires and not the bearings. My 2007 CX-9 had over 180K on it, city and highway miles. It sounds like I have really loud tires. What do you think it is?

Well, if your tires need replacing you should probably just have that done to see if the noise goes away. Worn tires can definitely make very loud noises that are audible inside the cabin. Let's hope that it is not the bearings!

Oh buddies, you better believe the tires are getting replaced first! Loll!

Is there a way I can tell that my bearings are bad, other than the sound? Can I see anything from looking at the assembly, or do I need to take my wheels off to see?

Wheel Bearing

I also have an issue which I believe it can be a bearing. I just ordered the part, and when I get free time, change it.
It started with a creaking sound whenever I turn left. Only left. I asked a few friends and they think it can be the bearing. It creaks like the suspension is bad, but they are good. Also anyone know how to change a wheel bearing on a CX-9 2008, grand touring, front driver wheel.

When I do jack the wheel up. The wheel does then to wiggle a little. Im no mechanic, but that doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
I had the same in my car, and when I had those bearings replaced, I found out that they were pressed. I hope that helps!

eskimo0101, thanks for the great link! I'm going outside to check on my Brutus' tires now. :)

No uneven wear. I think I may ask the hubs to jack up Brutes when he gets home. :)

When I do jack the wheel up. The wheel does then to wiggle a little. Im no mechanic, but that doesn't seem right.

There shouldn't be any play. The part that takes experience is identifying exactly where the play is coming from. Wheel bearing? Inner or outer tie rod? Steering rack? Ball joint? Control arm bushings? It's hard to teach this over the internet. You just need hands on experience.

Back