Strawberry Milkshake 2007 Mazda 5

intoo

:
2007 Mazda 5
Hi I really need help getting this vehicle back working.

I was diving and the temp guage started going up.

I opened the hood and rad cap. Tranny oil sludge mixed with coolant overflowed. Sludge went all inside the overflow too.

It is also mixed in the Tranny. Still drives but heats up.

I changed the Transmission oil cooler, flushed rad, and flushed tranny.

Drove it and after 10mins it keeps heating up. Some more sludge came out but just a little compared to 4ltrs from before. No Sludge in the overflow tank.

I keep hearing pressusre build up in rad and hoses or in the engine. Bubbling sound.

I am wondering if the thermostat is plugged.

Anyone knows the fix.

By the way engine oil is still clean.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Any CEL on? Sounds like you have a series of air bubbles in the coolant, which would explain the gurgling sounds. Was the engine hot when you opened the radiator cap? The engine antifreeze and the transmission fluid shouldnt ever be able to mix like that, now I'm wracking my brain to come up with a way that it COULD happen.

Last edited:
The transmission fluid runs through a coil in the radiator to heat the transmission fluid when it is cool and cool it when it is hot. I know on the Honda Ridgeline (my other vehicle) there is corrosion where the transmission fluid coil enters the radiator. This corrosion causes the parts to separate and exposes the radiator to the transmission fluid. Google strawberry milkshake to see issues with many types of vehicles.

I was wondering if this was an issue in the Mazda but since ours is only a few weeks old, I figured I have time to look around and see if it is an issue.

The preventative measure is to replace the radiator at about 5 or 6 years. This removes the rusted parts, typically before they become an issue.

Strawberry Milkshake

Any CEL on? Sounds like you have a series of air bubbles in the coolant, which would explain the gurgling sounds. Was the engine hot when you opened the radiator cap? The engine antifreeze and the transmission fluid shouldnt ever be able to mix like that, now I'm wracking my brain to come up with a way that it COULD happen.

No lights on.

Strawberry Milkshake

The transmission fluid runs through a coil in the radiator to heat the transmission fluid when it is cool and cool it when it is hot. I know on the Honda Ridgeline (my other vehicle) there is corrosion where the transmission fluid coil enters the radiator. This corrosion causes the parts to separate and exposes the radiator to the transmission fluid. Google strawberry milkshake to see issues with many types of vehicles.

I was wondering if this was an issue in the Mazda but since ours is only a few weeks old, I figured I have time to look around and see if it is an issue.

The preventative measure is to replace the radiator at about 5 or 6 years. This removes the rusted parts, typically before they become an issue.

This car has a transmission oil cooler mounted on the engine. It does not one inside of rad.

I changed the Transmission oil cooler, flushed rad, and flushed tranny.
Sounds like you know the culprit and changed it. I think there's just residual tranny oil in the coolant system and hoses. When you flush the rad, I assume you use a rad flush/cleaner? Does it take long for the car to warm up? You can try cleaning the thermostat or just replace it if old.

Image from loosenut
JjP12J3ROJhyy_5QKHrWikG4aIVJ_xbX1KEGBYXtqD4=w806-h705-no

I would run do 2 (perhaps 3) more rad flush with a coolant cleaner be generous and give it time to do its job. Then run it with just distilled water for a few days, drain and refill with new distilled water and drive again for a few days. Hopefully this cleans it out so you can put in the anti-freeze mix. Winter is a few months away.

And hurray for engine temp gauge (sorry +12 owners)!

Last edited:
Strawberry Milkshake

Sounds like you know the culprit and changed it. I think there's just residual tranny oil in the coolant system and hoses. When you flush the rad, I assume you use a rad flush/cleaner? Does it take long for the car to warm up? You can try cleaning the thermostat or just replace it if old.

Image from loosenut
JjP12J3ROJhyy_5QKHrWikG4aIVJ_xbX1KEGBYXtqD4=w806-h705-no

I would run do 2 (perhaps 3) more rad flush with a coolant cleaner – be generous and give it time to do its job. Then run it with just distilled water for a few days, drain and refill with new distilled water and drive again for a few days. Hopefully this cleans it out so you can put in the anti-freeze mix. Winter is a few months away.

And hurray for engine temp gauge (sorry +12 owners)!

Thanks for the Help.

I started it up and did local driving then a good highway run in the evening.

Everything is now well. I guess it was only air bubbles in the system.

UPDATE.

The hose that looks like it goes from the bottom of the cooler up to thermostat ripped at the end later and all the water came out. I cut it and clamped it again. I notice the hose is really hot and soft now very oily but water is more clear and clean..

Last edited:
I just hosed it a 3 times. I need to buy the cleaner and do it again. I want to flush tranny again asap too.

Last edited:
I just hosed it a 3 times. I need to buy the cleaner and do it again. I want to flush tranny again asap too.
as in you opened the radiatot cap and radiator drain cock and just run the hose through it?

-Water alone is not going to remove oil, not thoroughly.
-running a hose down the radiator would only flush, well, the radiator. There's the other half of the coolant in the hoses and mostly engine block. I can't find any reference to an "engine coolant drain plug" for the MZR engine, which is usually in a god aweful hard to reach place. Hence, I suggest running a cleaner 2-3 times. You don't want the oils to coat the walls of the passages inside the block.
-House hold tap water is full of additives (floride, colorine, calcium, etc.) that will leave a layer on the walls. This is why it is recommended to use distilled water when working with the radiator; it's ~$1 a gallon...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...lter-Install&p=6391912&viewfull=1#post6391912

Last edited:
Back