Cheers All, New CX-3 Owner Here

xcessiveforce

:
CX 3 Touring Ceramic Silver
Today was a long day, but not because of the Mazda Experience. I saw a beautiful decked out CX 3 at the dealership in Arlington in this extreme dark blue. I didn't get a chance to test drive but Instantly fell in love. So later today 8/29 I went to the dealer closer to my house and they had 2 CX 3's in stock. One white and one Ceramic Silver (which is pearlescent). So I test drove the Ceramic and then decided to buy it. Initial thoughts so far? I love it. Handles extremely well. Love the dash layout. Looks so much more sophisticated than a Hyundai or a Kia. Lights are great. 7 inch screen is easy to use. I traded a 2013 Camaro LS for this. The CX isn't fast but it handles well and its weight is a nice balance that allows it to be agile.

Overall, I'm a happy camper.

I do have a question, how difficult is it to purchase Nav software and upgrade it?

Thanks!

StevenX
DFW Texas

Welcome and congratulations, StevenX!

Thanks for joining the community and posting your thoughts...You might be the first CX-3 owner on Mazdas247, at least that's posted in the CX-3 Forum. I would not be surprised if many people end up having a very similar experience to you...They see it and must have it! :D

It seems like a fantastic package for the price and an all-round great looker and performer. Interesting that you came from a 2013 Camaro LS and that you're happy with the better overall balance and handling. I wonder if the CX-3 will influence more people to completely change car types and manufacturers, of course Mazda hopes so!

As for your question, I'm sure you will find an answer, we've got a great community here on Mazdas247 with many new CX-3 owners / members on the way.

Oh and pics please!!!

Plus...Are you eager to replace or upgrade anything yet?

CX%203%20Ceramic_zpscgb9cmyz.jpg

2016 CX-3 Ceramic Metallic

Upgrading to the Navigation unit is easy. You only need to buy a Navigation SD card and insert into the SD slot.

Congrats! Color is unique...I kinda dig it. I think some bigger rims will make it look even better.

Getting Windows tinted at Dealer on Friday.. Thankful cause it still feels like freakin july here with 100 degree temps. Need that TINT! Going to ask about LED running lights and some other stuff while up there.

I probably wont mod too much. I absolutely refuse to have a loud vehicle (im old). If its not obnoxious noise I may go with a SRI or something. I'm really interested in the OV tune since I believe this engine is the same as the standard Mazda 3 and the only reason this makes less power is due to the header. Its different due to the size reduction in the vehicle. If OV tune could net me around 15 pony's or so I would be happy to get that done. Just need to see if anyone is familiar with the process here in North Texas. Have no problem paying for a tune and to use cables and software. I'll see how it goes though. My first priority is the Tint and then either LED running lights and/or possible SubWoofer. I got the Bose 7 speaker but the sub is meh (which most of you already know).

Another new CX-3 owner here. I’ve had it for a few weeks (~500 miles) and I’m loving it!

I’d been watching for the CX-3 for months, just waiting for it to be released in the US so I could test drive one. Nothing else had really appealed to me: the former mini-UTEs have all gotten way too big (RAV4, CRV, etc) and the other vehicles in the CX-3's class hadn’t impressed me (the HRV was a big disappointment when I test drove it: dull, noisy, non-responsive, confusing and unresponsive info system )

I went for the CX-3 GT AWD in Crystal White Pearl with Black Interior. I was back and forth between the Touring with the Premium Package and the GT. The ride was a bit quieter on the Touring, but I preferred the GT seats/interior so went with that.

Really pleased with it so far - the ride, handling and mileage are great and the blind spot monitoring has been very handy for the highway portion of my commute. The entertainment/navigation system has been very easy to use; I really like the way they use the knobs in the center console to control the system: for example you can set the radio to tune with the center knob…very intuitive and easy for someone who is constantly station hopping. I find it easier to go that route than to use the Favorites (which are a bit clunky) or the scan options (which have a little delay in them.) The dash is well laid out, and now that I’ve figured out how to use the various steering wheel controls to manage the dash displays and nav/info system options, it’s been very easy to keep control of things while driving.

My previous car was a 2005 RAV4, so this has been a big change. Having the ability to link up my phone, and listen my music library from the phone or USB without adapters/cables running through my cassette deck/lighter is great. This isn’t as powerful as the RAV4, but it’s much more agile. I haven't really pushed it yet, but it's been very responsive when I've needed it to be. And, I'm not sure how to describe this, but the CX-3 gives the impression of nearly always driving slightly downhill. It needs a bit of coaxing to get up and go, but then it seems to need a very light foot on the gas pedal…it’s like I can give it just a little bit of gas and then lighten up and this thing just coasts along at a steady speed with very little input needed. I’ve been seeing mileage around 32 mpg average, some rides averaging up the 35 range, compared to 24 on the RAV, so that’s great too.

Cargo space is small, but it does have the flip down back seats if I ever need to lug something more than a couple of suitcases. And the backseat isn’t huge, but since it’s usually just me, or me and one other person and kids aren’t in the mix that’s NBD. If I needed more space, I would have gone with the CX-5, but at the end of the day, the CX-3 seems to fit what I need really well. I do wish there were a few more cubbies in the seating area, especially since the manuals really consume the glove compartment space. There’s not much room for odds and ends up front and the available spots are uncovered so the stuff is visible or can bounce around on a hard stop (not that I’ve done one yet :p)

There’s been a little glitchiness on the nav system/entertainment system, but poking around on these forums it seems that what I’m seeing is similar to what is seen on other Mazdas (USB takes a while to load and always starts on the same track regardless of last played, NAV system does not like to cancel a destination…it keeps going back to the last location of the cancelled trip and tries to keep going from there, even if I’m now miles away and have driven the car multiple times in between, and is 'live traffic' even a real thing?). I’m keeping an eye on it to sort out what’s newbie operator stuff vs genuine issues with the system that I should flag to the dealer.

This is my first Mazda, and all and all I'm really pleased with it.

Last edited:
Another new CX-3 owner here. I’ve had it for a few weeks (~500 miles) and I’m loving it!
There’s been a little glitchiness on the nav system/entertainment system, but poking around on these forums it seems that what I’m seeing is similar to what is seen on other Mazdas (USB takes a while to load and always starts on the same track regardless of last played, NAV system does not like to cancel a destination…it keeps going back to the last location of the cancelled trip and tries to keep going from there, even if I’m now miles away and have driven the car multiple times in between, and is 'live traffic' even a real thing?). I’m keeping an eye on it to sort out what’s newbie operator stuff vs genuine issues with the system that I should flag to the dealer.

This is my first Mazda, and all and all I'm really pleased with it.

A quick update - the day after I made that post, suddenly the Live Traffic started working, and the USB music source started behaving itself. It now starts from the same place it left off at when I shut off the car. Bluetooth is behaving the same way. If I was listening to a track/playlist when I shut the car off, that's what it starts up with the next time I start the car. Not sure what changed, I don't think I updated any settings, but since it's working I'm OK with it!

I'm looking into buying a CX-3 too. How comfortable do you think the trunk area would be for a lab sized dog?

I'm looking into buying a CX-3 too. How comfortable do you think the trunk area would be for a lab sized dog?

TBH, I don't think the CX-3 would have been my pick if I were driving with a lab sized dog around. But it would probably depend on the dog. If it's one that doesn't mind the feeling of a closed space or that likes to just chill in the car as you go from point to point, it might work...the dog might like the feeling of being kenneled up back there. You'd probably want to take out the cargo cover and the upper floor panel to give the dog a bit more space to move around (and you could also flip down one or both of the rear seats) But, if yours is a lab on the large side, or one that likes to spend the ride standing and going from window to window watching the world go by, you'll probably want to consider a different vehicle.

If you get one with the Bose system, there's a subwoofer stowed under the cargo area. That might be one too many woofers in the back.

Also be sure to consider how the dog will get into/out of the space.

I've been steadily watching and reading up on CX-3's, even messed around with one out here in Japan. My wife really wants one when we go back to America, and I 85% want one. I love the styling, both inside and out, and also the size. I also love how it's been emphasized towards driving pleasure. However, the only thing keeping me from being 100%, "Yes, I want it!", is the power, or lack thereof.

Every article I've read so far makes it seem like a real slow poke. Is it really that bad? 0-60 in 9 seconds? Ehhh......

Please chime in! I really want to buy one, but my mind keeps wandering towards some of the more powerful, but used and slightly larger SUV's (Acura MDX for example).

Howdy Mazda247 community! This is my first post on this site and I wanted to share in the joy of CX-3 ownership. I got my FWD GT in Meteor Gray on Saturday (9/26) and could not be happier. I really wanted Soul Red, but did not want to pay the extra fee for paint. Besides, the only red GT they had in stock had the i-Activsense package and I certainly did not want to pay $2K for a cool, but unnecessary (IMHO) suite of extras. Also, the interior colors matched really well with the gray (looks terrible with the Dynamic Blue).

I traded in my ’13 MS3, which I will miss dearly. My commute is 25 miles, one way, in mostly stop-and-go traffic (sprinkled with the occasional huge delay) and felt it was just too much wear and tear on a vehicle that wants to rip down the open road, not sit in traffic the majority of the time. My criteria for a new car was 1) automatic (non-CVT) transmission, which is a first for me as all of my past cars have been manual 2) better gas mileage 3) quieter than the outgoing MS3 4) all the tech bells and whistles of said MS3 5) fun to drive with at least a modicum of power 6) more rear leg room for my wee ones. I am happy to say that the CX-3 delivers in spades. The auto is a fine transmission and certainly gives my left foot a rest (“sport” mode and the paddle shifters mix in a bit of fun). I was lucky to get 25-26MPG in the MS3; I am currently at 32MPG on my first tank and it is going up. The CX-3 is much quieter, giving me the bit of sanctuary I was yearning for during my commute. The GT has all the tech the MS3 had (aside from automatic wipers – always kinda wonky – and auto headlights) and then some. Though I am losing 120hp and 140ft/lbs of torque, the CX-3 is plenty zippy with enough power for getting on the freeway quickly, passing without worry and handles great (to answer another poster’s concerns, 0-60 times are not everything; the CX-3 seems much quicker than the tested 8.5 seconds and can get to illegal speeds with no great strain). Sitting comfortably with my 6’-2” frame affords and extra 3 1/2 “ of rear leg room over the MS3 so that my four-year-old, in her booster seat, is not constantly pushing into my back.

Anyway, I am elated with my purchase, er, lease (which is also a first). Mazda’s tech and interior quality has increased surprisingly over the past three years and is several orders of magnitude greater than my ’02 Protege5. I always felt the interior of my MS3 looked cobbled together (blue emphasis above the beltline, red below and an out of place grey screen for information). The CX-3’s interior layout is much more cohesive and ergonomically pleasing. The only niggles I have are the armrest, which covers the cup holders (though I am pleased that the integrated phone slot phone slot holds my Nokia 1520 – about as big a phablet one can buy – perfectly) and the headrest on the rear seats have to come out to accommodate a front facing car seat. Of course, there is one thing that I will miss and that is SPEED!

And now an unglamorous photo (had to pick up some groceries on the way home from the dealership):

Attachments

• CX-3.jpg
    CX-3.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Thanks for the mini review. Good to hear the lack of power isn't a big factor for you, it seems like I'll just have to test drive one and see for myself.

Love that color. Besides that one, I really like them in the Titanium Flash and Crystal White.

Just bought my CX-3 GT today. Technically the wife's car, but I'll be driving it every chance I get
IMG_3047 (2).jpgIMG_3045 (1).jpg

How do you like the parchment interior? I'm trying to convince wife to let me get that interior color, but she thinks we wouldn't be able to keep it clean from dirt and stains. Do the materials seem like they're easy to clean?

How do you like the parchment interior? I'm trying to convince wife to let me get that interior color, but she thinks we wouldn't be able to keep it clean from dirt and stains. Do the materials seem like they're easy to clean?

So far no issues, but it's only been a few days. They seem fairly easy to clean. It's leather so it's fairly easy to maintain. People keep a pair of sneakers clean, so this should be no issue. We specifically asked for this interior when we were shopping as we both loved the look.

Back