Water pump replacement

Replacing the water pump itself is a very simple job. But you have to remove the timing belt in order to get to it. Which again, is not hard, but may take some time and maybe some tools you don't have if you've never done one.

Strap wrench to hold the pulley and a 10mm socket to remove the 4 bolts. It should come right off.

Which pulley are you talking about? The bottom crank pulley has to come off right?

Yes. I'm talking about the water pump pulley. Use an impact on the crank pulley, and if it's seized on there you'll need a pulley puller to remove it via the two threaded holes on the pulley for this exact purpose.

Oh ok I see. I have the top half of the motor apart and I dont want to put it back together without replacing the pump.

you can also put a breaker bar on the crank pulley, brace it against either the floor or whatever. I usually use a cinder block. And bump the starter to crack the bolt loose. Not the safest or most correct way to do it, but I've never had an issue doing it this way.

timing belt and water pump replacement is worth the mechanic- they last over 150k... so you might only do it once in the lifetime of the car - assuming you drive the car to 300k.

unless you really enjoy the process..... then yes of course do it yourself

I paid $250.00 for labor to get it done.

Ive been working on it for 2 days. Its lost its excitement. Can anyone tell me if it matters where the injectors go?

The green two are on the passenger side and purple on the driver's side, but they are all the same injector.

So Ive managed to get it all back together and it turns over but it wont start. What could cause this?

Timing correct? You aligned the I and e and not the dots?

The annoying part of all this for me was the timing cover bolts and scraping the shittly old gasket off with engine in the car. Whole process goes 10x faster with engine out lol
Why would you have had to pull injectors ect though?

Last edited:
I had the head rebuilt so I took the top half apart. So when you line up the I and E are the dowels both up? The machine shop said they put it back together so all I had to do was just drop the head on and put it all back together. But as it is, the marks are limed up and not the letters.

Crank sensor unplugged?

I got all the plugs back together. There is one thin one by the compressor that I missed but Its been apart for almost 2 weeks so I didn't remember where they all went.

Last edited:
The cam dowels should both be in the 12 o'clock position. The I and E must line up on each respective cam gear.

Back