HELP 08 mazda 3 2.3L overheating

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
my 3s hatchback(75k miles, so not too long on coolant for factory fill) a/c got warm for a second so i looked down at my gauges and noticed the temp was slightly high and moving up, slowly. turned the a/c off and it helped some, however it started going up again later. so i turn the heater on and it goes back to normal operating temp. and stays there seemingly as long as i want to drive. so i get home and check the fan as i thought that was the issue, but the fan is on all the time with the a/c as it should be and it comes on as the car gets warm as it should. so fan is ruled out. car is not leaking any coolant nor is it low. put a new radiator cap on it just to be sure(as i had a radiator cap do something similar on an old car, and its a cheap fix) and nothing. the water pump is not making any noise nor is the belt, the belt is new( changed last month) and deflection is fine. so today i noticed it will be at regular temp for awhile(5 to 10 miles) then start climbing until i turn on the heater then if i tun the heater off it goes back up fairly quick. i am almost 100% sure thermostat is the cause but just running it by the forum before tearing into it, as the thermostat is in a pain in the ass spot on this car.

any other ideas, or suggestions on things to look at? or just replace thermostat?

Back