MPG: The Secret to my Success.

Rdrcr

:
2014 Mazda2
Ive read a lot here on this forum regarding MPG. It is a topic that I have become more and more interested in investigating the more I drive the 2. Ive read many posts from forum members bragging about the fantastic mileage they recorded on their most recent road trips. A few members have recorded as high as 43 MPG, while some have seen 40 MPG, and others 38 MPG. What? Really? Unlike many of the members here I have been unable to obtain remarkable or even presumed MPG results regardless of the type of driving or distance driven. To add insult to injury, the highway mileage has been especially brutal. In fact, in my overall MPG experience has been disappointing.

Please understand I drive with an incredibly light foot when Im cruising, driving to work, or running errands. I always have under those circumstances. My Mazda 2 Sport Manual is my daily driver so it benefits from my best driving behavior. Ive owned lots and lots of cars over the years and throughout those years I have been able to record the advertised or better than advertised MPG in all but two of those cars. The two offenders are my two most recent additions; my 2013 Ford Mustang GT and my 2014 Mazda 2.

Ironically, it took an aftermarket performance tune and supporting modifications to cure my Mustangs foul mileage. Im now averaging 24 MPG which is up from 19 MPG mixed city/highway. Not bad for 470HP. But, really, who cares? I didnt buy a 5.0 Mustang for MPG, nobody does.

However, I do care about the 2s MPG. As my daily driver, thats what I bought it for. And, with a 1.5L engine producing a meager 100HP and weighing only 2306 lbs. exceptional MPG is a requirement and should be expected. Right?

The EPA estimated fuel economy for a manual equipped Mazda 2 is 29/35 MPG city/highway. Ive been averaging 33 MPG mixed city/highway. Some might say that isnt bad. Perhaps even within the expected results but, like I said, I drive with a light foot, I expected a better. On the highway I average 29 MPG. 29 MPG! Preposterous! Whats with the 35 MPG highway EPA estimate again? Yep, still waiting for the answer on that one.

After reading more on the subject I soon realized that the 2 doesnt possess sufficient aerodynamics and power to aid its highway mileage when traveling at highway speeds, or the highway speeds I am comfortable with. The Mazda 2 has a 0.31 coefficient of drag which isnt too bad, honestly. But, are you ready for this? The 2s CD is actually worse than my old 1996 Lexus LS400 which boasted a 0.28 coefficient of drag. Basically in simple terms, the 2 lacks the balls and aerodynamics to be efficient at speeds I travel on the highway. Damn.

As mentioned previously I dont drive the speed limit on the highway. I go a little faster. That said, out of pure curiosity in an attempt to achieve the best possible MPG I decided to painfully drive the speed limit on the highway and drove even more gingerly on the street than I normally do keeping RPMs below 3,000. This technique resulted in a best of 38 MPG mixed 90% city and 10% highway. Was it worth it? No. To achieve this I literally pissed off every motorist that was unluckily stuck behind me waiting for my snail-like acceleration endeavors to end and finally reach a reasonable cruising speed. Man, it was agonizing. I prefer to accelerate at a normal pace and maintain speed according to traffic conditions and not be an obstruction (aka early Prius drivers) to other motorists. Driving in this fashion is uncomfortable and regardless of the results, I wont be doing it again.

Considering all this; my biggest disappointment with the 2s MPG is the driving range. I couldnt even make it to Las Vegas from LA on one tank. Honestly, had I known the range would be less than 320 miles traveling at constant highway speeds, I wouldnt have purchased the car. I would have bought something different. But, alas, I did purchase the 2. What to do?

My secret The Cork Sport Short Ram Intake.

Modifying cars is in my blood. It was handed down from father to son. Ive modified all of my cars for one reason or another. So keeping with tradition I bought the Cork Sport Short Ram Intake with additional cooling duct for the 2. I figured it will be satisfying to pick up a horsepower or two, alter the engine sound, and perhaps, just maybe, increase the MPG.

Well, Im not sure about the horsepower, but the CS Short Ram Intake sounds the business. The intake truly sounds amazing. The new aggressive growl makes me smile and causes surrounding motorists to posture with displeasure. I love it! The package is definitely worth the price of admission. However, the most shocking revelation caused by the CS Intake was the MPG improvement.

In over 5,000 miles with the CS Intake and cooling duct installed, driving normally, Im now averaging 40 MPG mixed city/highway. No joke. Seriously, Im not kidding. Get this, Im recording 36 MPG traveling at a constant 70+ MPH on the highway which was previously unachievable. I have even managed to record a best of 42 MPG combined and a range of 380 miles. My last tank was 41 MPG mixed city/highway.
I dont know what the magic is. I really dont. Or, do I?

It doesnt take a genius to surmise that the factory Mazda2 intake isnt the most efficient setup possible. I mean, look at it! Air travels through the front inlet into flat pancaked intake piping with several 90 degree bends which then lead to the shocking engine-cooking heat-absorbing air box that actually sits inside an oven - I mean literally on top of the engine. And, it only gets better. The scorching air then passes through the ECU and a couple more 90 degree turns before entering the throttle body. A journey through hell, apparently!?! Hey, at least the Mazda engineers were creative!

Conversely, the CS Short Ram intake attaches directly to the throttle body by way of a CNC machined MAF housing, silicone sleeve, and a proper performance air filter bypassing all the ridiculous factory plumbing. It is by definition, a short ram intake. The optional CS cold air duct insures that the CS Short Ram intake consumes the coolest air possible and attaches smartly to the factory inlet location.

Unquestionably the CS intake is better designed and more efficient than the factory box. And considering the design differences it should come as no surprise that the CS intake improved MPG. However, the surprise is how much the CS intake improved MPG.

I dont know if my results are repeatable for other forum members but, the CS Intake has performed exceptionally well for me and my driving style. Im really happy with the aggressive sound, but Im especially happy with the MPG improvement.

I am hoping that this wont be my last post on the subject of improving MPG. I recently purchased and will be installing the Hot Pipes Header. Im hoping that the addition of the Header with or without a performance tune, will further increase MPG. Well see. Only time will tell.

Anyway folks, I just wanted to share my thoughts, results, and perhaps see if anybody else has had similar success.

Mike

Just to add a bit of information, utilizing my Ultragauge which pulls information through the OBD port, the stock intake is generally 15 degrees above ambient temps at highway speeds. Sitting on grid at an autocross event, ambient usually above 85deg, the intake temps can hit the 130's.

In contrast, when I had the Injen CAI installed, at highway cruising speeds, 3-5deg above ambient, and around 10deg warmer sitting in grid.

I'm sure combined with the CS SRI duct, the Corksport intake should bring intake temps to a similar level to what I had with the CAI. Granted the ECU sees this drop and adjusts fuel accordingly, I'm sure the extra oomph helps in reducing the amount of foot required on the skinny pedal to get to/maintain speed.

The Ultraguage is a pretty nifty little tool, and the readouts may make drivers pedal a bit more gingerly. Although it only helped me for about a week before my leadfooted nature said screw it.

Interesting. I travel probably something like 1,000 miles per month. I'm currently averaging something like 32 mpg combined driving, which translates to 31.25 gallons of gas per month. If the CS intake does for me what it did for you, let's say I get at least 38 mpg. That would be closer to 26.3 gallons per month. I'd be saving 5 gallons per month, which at current prices would be a little over $10/month. The price of the SRI and air duct with shipping would be about $260 for me, meaning it would pay for itself in a little over two years, and that's assuming gas prices don't go up. Now, if the DDM Works SRI can produce similar results, that's just $99, and pays for itself in less than a year.

Okay, anyone want to give me anything else I can use when I go to the wife, here?

To the OP: how hilly is it in your area? Elevation?

I went from never able to get more than 32-33mpg living in Dayton Ohio to now commuting 100mi/day and averaging no less than 36mpg. It's damn near flat, and I'm at sea level now(Ohio was roughly 1000ft where I was at). Driving 70mph normally, heavyish traffic(drafting maybe tiny effect?), with A/C on I normally get 37-38mpg.

With A/C off and windows cracked I averaged over 40mpg for a couple tanks.

MOST of my days involve 10-20min of just sitting/creeping along in traffic because of the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel, a real bad day gave me the 36mpg.

This is on continental snow tires too, in the middle of summer(stock size).

ANY sitting still for any amount of time takes your tank MPG down quickly. Avoid drive through and when you get somewhere, turn it off don't sit there. That's basically it.

I've alternated between lowered(about 2-3in)and stock height and it seems to be worth about 1-1.5mpg possibly. My 40mpg tanks were stock height though. Soon will swap back and attempt to reduplicate a few traffic backup free trips to see if 41 is possible.

Just to add a bit of information, utilizing my Ultragauge which pulls information through the OBD port, the stock intake is generally 15 degrees above ambient temps at highway speeds. Sitting on grid at an autocross event, ambient usually above 85deg, the intake temps can hit the 130's.

In contrast, when I had the Injen CAI installed, at highway cruising speeds, 3-5deg above ambient, and around 10deg warmer sitting in grid.

I'm sure combined with the CS SRI duct, the Corksport intake should bring intake temps to a similar level to what I had with the CAI. Granted the ECU sees this drop and adjusts fuel accordingly, I'm sure the extra oomph helps in reducing the amount of foot required on the skinny pedal to get to/maintain speed.

The Ultraguage is a pretty nifty little tool, and the readouts may make drivers pedal a bit more gingerly. Although it only helped me for about a week before my leadfooted nature said screw it.

Thanks for the info on the temps. Good stuff!

That's one of the problems...performance parts typically lead to a heavier foot. Luckily, I'm very disciplined. :)

Mike

Interesting. I travel probably something like 1,000 miles per month. I'm currently averaging something like 32 mpg combined driving, which translates to 31.25 gallons of gas per month. If the CS intake does for me what it did for you, let's say I get at least 38 mpg. That would be closer to 26.3 gallons per month. I'd be saving 5 gallons per month, which at current prices would be a little over $10/month. The price of the SRI and air duct with shipping would be about $260 for me, meaning it would pay for itself in a little over two years, and that's assuming gas prices don't go up. Now, if the DDM Works SRI can produce similar results, that's just $99, and pays for itself in less than a year.

Okay, anyone want to give me anything else I can use when I go to the wife, here?

Basically, for me, the ultimate goal was to experiment and perhaps get better mileage and more importantly, more range.

For me it wasn't about the cost, but, if it works for the wife...more power to you! (nana)

To the OP: how hilly is it in your area? Elevation?

I went from never able to get more than 32-33mpg living in Dayton Ohio to now commuting 100mi/day and averaging no less than 36mpg. It's damn near flat, and I'm at sea level now(Ohio was roughly 1000ft where I was at). Driving 70mph normally, heavyish traffic(drafting maybe tiny effect?), with A/C on I normally get 37-38mpg.

With A/C off and windows cracked I averaged over 40mpg for a couple tanks.

MOST of my days involve 10-20min of just sitting/creeping along in traffic because of the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel, a real bad day gave me the 36mpg.

This is on continental snow tires too, in the middle of summer(stock size).

ANY sitting still for any amount of time takes your tank MPG down quickly. Avoid drive through and when you get somewhere, turn it off don't sit there. That's basically it.

I've alternated between lowered(about 2-3in)and stock height and it seems to be worth about 1-1.5mpg possibly. My 40mpg tanks were stock height though. Soon will swap back and attempt to reduplicate a few traffic backup free trips to see if 41 is possible.

There are definitely hills and elevation changes where I do most of my driving.
When I say 'city' I'm actually referring to 'urban' driving. I don't live in or around a large city and I don't spend a lot of time stopped.

In fact, many times I'll alternate my driving route to avoid heavy traffic areas for more cruising opportunities even if travel time and distance is greater.

Yes, I realize I am a freak. :D

Mike

Too bad I can't do this and stay in street (aka stock) class. No changes to the intake path are allowed.

My best MPG (43) was acquired with very slow, focused driving in town. Max speeds around 45-55, s l o w acceleration. I was amazed how efficient I could get with this (vs my 16mpg wrx/sti swapped forrester) in the beginning. Now I'm lucky to get 32mpg average as its pretty much WOT whenever possible. I've given up on trying to keep decent hwy mileage, I think I averaged around 25mpg on my last road trip driving mostly at 84 mph.

Too bad I can't do this and stay in street (aka stock) class. No changes to the intake path are allowed.

That sucks. I don't know your racing schedule but, it could be worth the time installing/removing the intake between races?

Mike

My best MPG (43) was acquired with very slow, focused driving in town. Max speeds around 45-55, s l o w acceleration. I was amazed how efficient I could get with this (vs my 16mpg wrx/sti swapped forrester) in the beginning. Now I'm lucky to get 32mpg average as its pretty much WOT whenever possible. I've given up on trying to keep decent hwy mileage, I think I averaged around 25mpg on my last road trip driving mostly at 84 mph.

I did better than you in my '05 WRX STi. I was averaging 20MPG (but, 8MPG on the track!) mixed city/highway.
I averaged the same 20MPG in my '06 Honda S2000. Go figure!

You're like me...getting your best mileage on the street driving at a snail's pace. LOL!
At speed the 2 really drinks gas...that's what pissed me off while driving to Vegas! I probably matched your 25MPG highway on that trip!

Mike

Does corksport still sell the intake?

I'm getting like 26, 27 city. :(

Absolutely, you can find it here: http://corksport.com/corksport-mazda-2-short-ram-intake.html

It really depends on how you drive, but I get 36mpg in the city if I'm careful, and 32 if I occasionally flog it.

Now one thing I should mention is that you should be careful not to drive too slowly. It seems counter-intuitive, but driving slow can actually hurt your fuel economy. If you spend a lot of time slowly crawling up to the speed limit, you end up wasting more gas than if you accelerated at a moderate pace, because you'll get up to efficient cruising speed faster.

Three words for you: Pulse and glide.
http://www.metrompg.com/posts/pulse-and-glide.htm

CS intake definitely helps out a ton especially with the low end rpms. I normally average about 35mpg using this technique. Apparently you use more gas keeping a constant speed vs using P&G. Kind of makes sense because most modern cars don't use fuel when gliding (coasting). They explain it very well in the link.

Rdrcr, have you seen an impact on your MPG after you installed the HP headers? I'm guessing the CEL is making your car run rich. I'm going to wait to install it until we figure out the CEL issue since I'm driving about 45 miles daily.

That pulse and glide tactic makes sense. Maybe its part of the reason I always find myself behind these insanely annoying drivers on the highway that can't keep a constant speed!

Rdrcr, have you seen an impact on your MPG after you installed the HP headers? I'm guessing the CEL is making your car run rich. I'm going to wait to install it until we figure out the CEL issue since I'm driving about 45 miles daily.

Nothing yet. I'm sure this tank will have a negative impact due to the CEL and long durations of idling during the install and inspection.

I should have the O2 simulator installed later this week. I'll report back if it works.
However, for the long term I'll be moving the rear O2 behind the 2nd cat.

Eventually I'll have the car properly tuned but, I want to explore what can be done without tuning.

Mike

That pulse and glide tactic makes sense. Maybe its part of the reason I always find myself behind these insanely annoying drivers on the highway that can't keep a constant speed!

Yes that's probably it haha! I only do this when the rear cars have at least a 10 length space and also when I do practice this I normally got about 5-7mph over the speed limit then back down to the minimum so I'm not holding up traffic.35 mpg for city/hwy isn't bad given that I frequently shift around 3 to 4k rpm. I tried the whole shift at 2.5k and it was unbearable.

It doesn’t take a genius to surmise that the factory Mazda2 intake isn’t the most efficient setup possible. I mean, look at it! Air travels through the front inlet into flat pancaked intake piping with several 90 degree bends which then lead to the shocking engine-cooking heat-absorbing air box that actually sits inside an oven - I mean literally on top of the engine. And, it only gets better. The scorching air then passes through the ECU and a couple more 90 degree turns before entering the throttle body. A journey through hell, apparently!?! Hey, at least the Mazda engineers were creative!
I'd certainly have to agree with Mike that the stock intake on our car isn't the most intuitive / efficient setup. I'm guessing the Mazda engineers did this because of "space limitations", but it really makes me wonder if a better packaging could have been done. The air filter being directly over the engine is also seems like a poor design. If Mazda could relocate / resize a couple of things -- the battery, the wiper fluid resevoir, etc. -- I'm sure a much simpler and more efficient design could have been used. It would also have made spark plug inspection and changes a lot easier.

With my stock intake, I'm roughly getting the same IAT figures as you do (according to my ScanGauge) -- ~10C (~18F) above ambient at freeway speeds. I haven't been taking the 2 to autox all that often, but I can attest to how the IAT shoots way up even when the car is only idling or stuck in stop-and-go traffic.

I've been wanting to do some DIY mods to channel some fresh air from the front / grill to the stock intake snorkel. I've done something similar with my other cars in the past, but time and space has become a very limited commodity in the past year or so, and I haven't been able to find time to take the front bumper off to see what kind of ghetto concoction I can come up with.

Last edited:
You'd be wasting your time, I think. My CS intake utilizes a scoop that mounts in the same place as the OE intake snorkel. When moving at normal speeds (above 20mph) if I'm not close behind another car, my intake temps are 1-5 degees from ambient.

That sucks. I don't know your racing schedule but, it could be worth the time installing/removing the intake between races?

Mike

I did better than you in my '05 WRX STi. I was averaging 20MPG (but, 8MPG on the track!) mixed city/highway.
I averaged the same 20MPG in my '06 Honda S2000. Go figure!

You're like me...getting your best mileage on the street driving at a snail's pace. LOL!
At speed the 2 really drinks gas...that's what pissed me off while driving to Vegas! I probably matched your 25MPG highway on that trip!

Mike

I drove LA to Vegas last weekend in my 2 and got right around 30mpg for the trip out averaging 85mph, downshifting liberally to keep pace uphill, WOT passing, and generally driving with no regard for my MPG. In my favor was the fact that it was ~2am so little traffic and fairly cool so AC was mostly low/off. I have the Injen CAI and on my 2nd file from Dynotronics.

Back