2016 bmw x1

:
was 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav, now 190ps DSG Tiguan 4M
What do you chaps think to the upcoming X1, it only about 4" shorter than the CX-5, with I believe a bigger boot now.

I'm attracted by the power units for towing, and also fancy an auto next.
X1 will have a 8 speed aisin box now and is FWD, its got an option of Xdrive which can send 100% torque to the rears if required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35

What do you chaps think to the upcoming X1, it only about 4" shorter than the CX-5, with I believe a bigger boot now.

I'm attracted by the power units for towing, and also fancy an auto next.
X1 will have a 8 speed aisin box now and is FWD, its got an option of Xdrive which can send 100% torque to the rears if required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35

It depends on whether you think you're done spending after you spend $36,000 for the base model or get a fully loaded one for $49,000.

Because with the turbo-charged 4 cylinder and BMW badge, you had better make sure you sell it before the warranty expires and be ready to take the $$ loss that entails.

The X1 is a polar opposite to the CX-5 in the "bend over and take it in the a$$" quotient. (idhitit)

I'm not really interested in the cost in the US, but would like opinions on how it compares with the cx-5.

Handling, ride, space, power, AWD system, auto box.

Price aside which is the better car?

what Mike said.

For $36k (or thereabouts) you're going to get a real bare-bones car with none of the frills or niceties normally associated with a "luxury" brand. No leather seats, no moonroof, no xenons, etc. BMW really gouges you on all that stuff, and it will end up costing you thousands of dollars. And the 2016 isn't even RWD like a typical BMW. Kind of silly, if you ask me.

You can always lease one and not worry about maintenance and all that, but that's an expensive rental car for 3 years.

I would be looking at the xdrive uk version which isn't bad on standard equipment, with around 1500 extras.

Either the turbo petrol 189bhp with 206 pound feet from 1250 to 4800 rpm.
Or the 228 bhp diesel with 332 pound feet of torque from 1500 to 3000 rpm.

As a said I'm not interested in comparing value for money, or MPG, but both cars against a CX-5, which is the better car?

I would be looking at the xdrive uk version which isn't bad on standard equipment, with around 1500 extras.

As a said I'm not interested in comparing value for money, or MPG, but both cars against a CX-5, which is the better car?

As you well know I abandoned my CX5 for a BMW 3GT a few months back and in truth have never regretted it for a moment. The CX5 was not a bad car, I am not anti-Mazda (I still have my MX5), but in terms of build quality and general engineering the BMW is in a different league. I too have been following the introduction of the new X1 now that the boot capacity has been vastly increased and whilst I have no current plans to change in the foreseeable future the X1 will very likely feature on my wish list next time.
I would certainly recommend taking a look, in my case likely the diesel. The biggest bugbear with my current car is that at low speeds and under acceleration the BMW diesel engine is less refined than the CX5 though at cruising speeds there is no discernible difference. However I believe the new X1 will use the next generation of engine. My current car easily manages 55 mpg (143bhp) and on numerous occasions I have seen low 60s. Together with the variable servicing intervals running costs are actually lower than the Mazda.

Definitely worth a look IMHO.

I would definitely look too, I just spec'd a new X1 here (the new version can be ordered and configured already) and the price is a little higher, nowhere near the difference that the folk in the US talk about. I really don't know where the idea of turbo petrols not being able to run high mileage comes from. My last 2 cars were 1.4 VW turbo and my dad had a seat 1.4 turbo. Plenty of power and good torque, sold them all about 80k miles, my Dads was over 100k miles, standard services nothing special. They are as common as cheese here.

I was thinking of holding off for one, but the fact it is my wifes car, she loves driving the Mazda and having a nice set of winter alloys and tires I could use if I bought another Mazda made it much less hassle.

Both engines you mentioned would be very nice, I had a company car for a few days, 1.8T Audi A4 avant, 180ps, was a peach of an engine, pulled like a train, very quiet and economical if you kept your head, I would have that engine again anyday.

My mates brand new BMW 320d is very nice inside, it's similar to the CX-5, but it does feel more solid, the build quailty a bit better, and the best thing is there is not one squeak or rattle, the seats are sit in seats, like half buckets, not for everyone but much better than the CX5 sit on seats as I find them.

If you decide to go for another CX5 diesel, please test drive it for a good 30 mins, make sure you don't have the high pitched injector noise reported on the latest diesels. There is a fix by way of a injector calibration, but that's just hassle you don't need on a new car. My new CX5 has the noise, but I don't drive it much, my wife doesn't mind it. Also, if you test a model with MRCC, radar cruise control, try it out to see if it is for you. I am on the fence with it, problem is, I can't disable the MRCC part and leave the cruise on (well, I haven't worked it out yet), the chaps in the USA can do it, but their buttons and configured in a different way.

The LED headlights a VERY cool, put them on high beam and don't touch them again, they do everything for you, even light up your side with high beam when a car comes but dips the offside so as not to blind the driver. My gearbox is much slicker than the previous model, feather touch for all gears now. My previous was a bit clunky into reverse and 1st to 2nd. Cabin is quieter and overall feels a nice step up.

Thanks both.
I will be having a test drive next October in a X1, I don't know what will be available as yet.

Buying another CX-5 is also an option, I have already driven a Auto a few weeks ago and I did like it, but it was the 2014 model.
I wasn't aware of the injector noise so a test drive in the latest car is now essential.

In the UK the CX-5 auto sport is around 30K list, the more powerful X1 diesel (its a B47) is around 36K list but I would want some extras at around 1K.
Considering the B47 has 228 bhp and 332 pound feet, its considerable more powerful, then there is the 187 bhp version to consider.

With all the issues with DPF a petrol engine is another option, my 7K miles a year will make little difference in running costs due to the lower purchase price.
The petrol is a B48, the 228 bhp 258 pound feet version is not yet available in the UK, but its on the German website. But we do have the 189 bhp version

https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/x/x1/2015/technische-daten.html

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in the cost in the US, but would like opinions on how it compares with the cx-5.

Handling, ride, space, power, AWD system, auto box.

Price aside which is the better car?

The X1 is a luxury vehicle that costs considerably more. Most people would say it's the "better" car if you ignore cost of ownership and the fact it will not provide the sporty handling of the CX-5. I don't know how you can compare these two vehicles except they are almost the same size and format. Everything else about them: polar opposites.

Keep in mind that "running costs" and "cost of ownership" are two entirely different things. Cost of ownership is the figure that most people need to come to terms with. I could easily afford the X1 (even if I needed to do expensive transmission or turbo repairs after warranty) but I would not be happy with it's heavier, worse handling nature. What I like most about the CX-5 is it's light rigid construction and sharp handling (relative to it's peers). And the fact that it has minimal impact on my budget. It makes my life better and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. The BMW would do neither of these things for me.

Perhaps an American view is not appropriate here. No one in U.S. commenting could get past the cost difference, either initial or for maintenance.
It could be that, "over there", the cost is not so different. I mean, I know they use Mercedes in Europe for flower delivery and such, whereas in the U.S., M-B is a luxury brand.

Mazda is considered entry-mid level in US (low-cost fun/reliable), BMW premium, as well as finicky and costly to repair.

It's difficult not to look past the pricing since the loaded BMW is $20k more than the loaded CX5.

The X1 will be "faster" than the CX5 with the turbocharged engine. It will also be more "luxurious" in that it will ride quieter just because it's a BMW and that is what they focus on. The interior will be nicely appointed on and the Germans use better leather but the loaded CX5 is quite nice also.

The handling of the X1 is up in the air. Not until they test it will we know but typically the turbocharged cars will be heavier and tend not to be as sporty as the CX5.

C&D or Motor Trend will do a test once the X1 is out. BMW's are not an inexpensive maintenance vehicle. When they need fixing (out of warranty), it gets pricey, really quickly. Most people who have $$ just sell them once the warranty is up. Then 20 year olds buy them for the "status" symbol but realize that it's not cheap to own a BMW.

The diesel sounds interesting but us yanks only get the n20 petrol this time around but the 180hp diesel they offer in the 3 line that they may end up putting in our x1 frankly they can keep anyway...as a current owner of both brands who almost went for the bimmer double 128 and the outgoing x1 35i I can tell you that I love the efficiency and right brain practicality of the 2.5l Mazda for daily commuting. But its also pretty darn entertaining to fling yet comfortable enough for long cruising, they really did a great job with it and I plan on buying the same car to replace it...Sure some of the the materials aren't as nice but for me Mazda put the $ where it matters- the drive and the balance to replacing my fun(er) car☺. The jury is out on this new x1 but other than being meaningfully quicker I doubt it will be more engaging to toss around a twisty 2 lane. It's now based on the fwd mini and will have the electric steering they still can't seem to get right so my expectations aren't particularly high from a "but will it be fun to drive" standpoint.

If quality/luxury is what you're after regardless of cost I would look at the Mercedes GLC with the 201/369 lb-ft diesel that is a fantasticly refined motor as I'm sure the rest of it will be...they haven't landed here yet either but I look forward to sampling even the gas version with the sumptuous (not a typo) diesel to follow.

Last edited:
Ok thanks some good answers there.
I'll also be looking at the Mercedes my son in law works for them and a employee discount can be arranged.

I'm considering treating myself to a posh car, but it will have to be worth it to me.
last comment on this video mentions the Mazda CX-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0lPqWC300g

At 6.20 time line.

Last edited:
This feature is available in the USA on i-ActivSense optioned models GT's.

The terms can get confusing, but AFS and ALH are not the same thing. AFS (headlights turn into corners) is for the US, as is High Beam Control (HBC) which switches between the dedicated high and low beam lamps. ALH, on the other hand, is the more advanced LED control system available outside the US that uses a bank of LEDs to simulate high and low-beam lamps, and provides greater control over the direction of the light.

AFS: http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/safety/active_safety/afs.html
ALH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZK_i4Zeoo

ALH is not permitted in the US due to (antiquated) government laws that essentially require separate dedicated high and low beam lamps.

I own a 2011 BMW 328xi and just turned a 100,000 trouble free miles which runs and rides like new. A few years ago we were looking at an X1 and the CX5. The X1 was much faster and handling was no better or worse than the CX5. The deal breaker was hatch room as the X1 is a much smaller vehicle. The new X1 for 2016 is redesigned and bigger, but still does not have the luggage capabilities of the CX5. If price and capacity are not a concern the X1 is a great little SUV. You can not beat the 4 years 50,000 year warranty that covers everything. I have spent more money on my CX5 in the 2 years of ownership. Brakes, 30k service, and oil changes. The X3 would be more of a size comparison, but even more expensive.

X3 is wider and longer than the Cx-5, I did consider one before buying the CX-5.

I do believe the X1 boot is now bigger, where it may fall short is the length for pushing my angling holdall through the centre hatch.
There is an option for a sliding rear seat, but I'm not sure if it can also increase the boot space, or just the rear passenger space, adjustment is good at 130cm.

Do you have Mazda Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH) which is not available in the US?
This feature is available in the USA on i-ActivSense optioned models GT's.
The terms can get confusing, but AFS and ALH are not the same thing. AFS (headlights turn into corners) is for the US, as is High Beam Control (HBC) which switches between the dedicated high and low beam lamps. ALH, on the other hand, is the more advanced LED control system available outside the US that uses a bank of LEDs to simulate high and low-beam lamps, and provides greater control over the direction of the light.

AFS: http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/safety/active_safety/afs.html
ALH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZK_i4Zeoo

ALH is not permitted in the US due to (antiquated) government laws that essentially require separate dedicated high and low beam lamps.
ALH definitely is a much more sophisticated headlight system than LED headlight system with AFS and HBC offered in the US. ALH can light up and cover more areas for different environment and prevent glare to drivers from both directions automatically.

It depends on whether you think you're done spending after you spend $36,000 for the base model or get a fully loaded one for $49,000.
Because with the turbo-charged 4 cylinder and BMW badge, you had better make sure you sell it before the warranty expires and be ready to take the $$ loss that entails.
The X1 is a polar opposite to the CX-5 in the "bend over and take it in the a$$" quotient. (idhitit)

^^^THIS.... I get the military discount/tax free and I couldn't justify it for the price versus what comes with a CX-5 for less. Plus it was for the wife, she doesn't care about badge recognition.

(I'm a BMW guy)

Last edited:
Back