Moly Oil From Mazda Factory?

Yes, Mazda puts in the moly oil at the factory. The moly helps with break-in on a new engine and was designed specifically for the SkyActiv engines.

At the dealership they don't use the moly anymore, they use bulk 55 gallon oil from Penzoil, it's synthetic but not moly.

In order to get the moly you have to buy the 1 quart bottles they sell at the Mazda dealership. It's about $8 per quart. A company IDEMITSU makes the moly oil.

At the dealership they don't use the moly anymore, they use bulk 55 gallon oil from Penzoil, it's synthetic but not moly.

Interesting. I assume you mean your local dealership has switched to Penzoil? Since I purchased my CX-5 I have received promotional coupons from Valvoline Marketing good for $10 off any Valvoline oil change, but valid only at the dealership I purchased my CX-5 from. So your dealership likes Penzoil and mine likes Valvoline. I'm still 3300 miles away from my first oil change but I'll be sure my dealership is using Mazda moly or I'll be buying supplies from Med Center Mazda and doing it myself.

All synthetic oils have molybdenum in it. The Mazda oil has a starkly elevated value.

I don't think anyone knows for sure (outside of Mazda!).
Owner's manual specifically says the factory fill is Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil for all SkyActiv-G engines in CX-5.

Owner's manual specifically says the factory fill is Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil for all SkyActiv-G engines in CX-5.
Are you referring to this from page 6-27 of the 2016 OM?
Recommended Oil
U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is
required to achieve optimum fuel
economy.

I guess one could assume they mean the factory fill is moly....

I don't believe my June 2012 build date CX-5 came with GF-5 with moly in it from the factory but my dealership did the first oil change at no charge using GF-5 w/moly (but I needed to specifically request the moly oil). It's all I've used every 7,000 miles and the engine seems to like it. I bet all new CX-5's are filled with it as well.

All synthetic oils have molybdenum in it. The Mazda oil has a starkly elevated value.

Exactly, the levels of moly in the Mazda oil is quite high, which is a good thing since moly flows at below freezing temps while other additives have a harder time. Moly additives helps prevent engine wear and has great flow ability.

Other synthetics would be fine also but moly is slightly better but also slightly more $$.

I would definitely not use conventional oil.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how common is it to do oil changes at 7k or 7.5k miles? I have a 2015 CX-5. My dealership is kinda pushy on getting oil changes at 5k intervals.

My dealer recommended the 7.5k oil change interval. I would think the change would be based on actual usage, but each dealer seems to have their own idea about when to change the oil.

Dealer service depts. want to call the shots rather than leave it up to the customer to choose service intervals. So they just pick a number that they can rationalize if asked to by the customer.

Dealer service depts. want to call the shots rather than leave it up to the customer to choose service intervals. So they just pick a number that they can rationalize if asked to by the customer.

And, of course, that is because oil changes are an important revenue stream: not only for the oil change itself but the opportunity to pressure-sell other questionable services.

I go by 10K / annual oil change intervals that coincide with annual safety/emission check. Never had any problems and my engines have all loved them. But I use only a premium extended drain synthetic oil with a hefty additive package; a type usually only sold in EU markets and not so common in US.

Last edited:
Are you referring to this from page 6-27 of the 2016 OM?
Recommended Oil
U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is
required to achieve optimum fuel
economy.

I guess one could assume they mean the factory fill is moly....

That would be a reach. There is nothing there to indicate what the factory fill is. Only marketing to promote their own oil.

Out of curiosity, how common is it to do oil changes at 7k or 7.5k miles? I have a 2015 CX-5. My dealership is kinda pushy on getting oil changes at 5k intervals.

Depends on the HOW you drive the vehicle. There is NO one size fits all for all CX5s. If you drive grades in a desert environment with sand and dust everywhere, I would change it at 5k miles. If you drive in moderate weather on flat lands, then one can go 7k-10k miles on the oil. Depends on how and where you drive.

Earliest change would be 5k miles and the most would be 10k miles.

One shouldn't go over 10k miles since the oil will have fuel in it which cannot be burned off and contamination that cannot be filtered out by the oil filter. It's only $50 to change the oil so cheap insurance.

Last edited:
That would be a reach. There is nothing there to indicate what the factory fill is. Only marketing to promote their own oil.

The oil does not belong to Mazda. It is made by Idemitsu Industries which specializes in chemical engineering.

The oil does not belong to Mazda. It is made by Idemitsu Industries which specializes in chemical engineering.

And that makes sense: Mazda designs and makes automobiles and automobile engines, not oil. It's very common to partner with another company for their expertise in areas yours is limited.

Not saying that's the case here, just that it shouldn't be surprising that Mazda's oil is made by another company entirely and it doesn't mean Mazda has no claim on at least some portion of it. The terms for sharing of IP is usually very closely guarded proprietary information and that which is released is frequently misleading or incomplete.

Last edited:
And that makes sense: Mazda designs and makes automobiles and automobile engines, not oil. It's very common to partner with another company for their expertise in areas yours is limited.

Not saying that's the case here, just that it shouldn't be surprising that Mazda's oil is made by another company entirely and it doesn't mean Mazda has no claim on at least some portion of it. The terms for sharing of IP is usually very closely guarded proprietary information and that which is released is frequently misleading or incomplete.
No auto company makes their own oil. It would be absurd. Like an oil company making a car.

Back