2012 Mazda 3, front end issue?

NLPenton

:
Mazda 3 GT-E
Hey everyone.

I just got my car shipped to me after a few weeks while moving, ive been driving the wifes new 15 Honda Fit. When i got my car today i find my 3 steering wheel is very stiff compared to the Honda. Like quite a difference. I have about 65 thousand km on the 3. I have went through my stock summer rims after 16 thousand km. Wheel alignment messed them up. After being away, my wife got another wheel alignment (about a year later) on my new summer tires and they were wearing down a bit again.

Now with my wheel being very stiff im concerned there might be a front end issue, any advice / thoughts?

Depends on what the definition of "stiff" is. I would expect slightly heavier steering in an MZ3 vs a Honda Fit, Mazda always makes their products more "sporty road" friendly. MZ3's also use electric power steering, is their a warning light on the dash that looks like a steering wheel? As for tire wear, these cars use alot of negative camber, especially in the rear. I think my similar tire wear woes just come with the territory of a swell handling car.

What year is your 3? You might want to include that info in your profile. Your 3 may not have electric steering.

NLPenton's profile doesn't give a year, but the title says 2012. My 2012 is a GS, so it's not identical, but it has electro-hydraulic steering - not electric - and so I assume that's what NLPenton has.

I bought my Mazda3 in part because of the excellent steering... but I actually find it assisted a little too much: it's not as "stiff" as I would like. Three possible issues:
  1. there might be a mechanical issue binding the steering - that would be bad
  2. the computer controlling the steering boost could be choosing too little boost due to an issue with one of the input sensors (steering angle and road speed, and presumably steering force)
  3. there might be nothing wrong, but just seems wrong in comparison

Given that this is months later (I only check this forum occasionally), I assume that the issue has been resolved - if not, I hope we'll get an update.

Another month after the fact here.

Just for the record, my wife's '08 Honda Civic Coupe has much lighter slow speed (parking lot) steering than my '13 Mazda 5. Once at highway speed, the Honda steering boost is lowered in comparison where the Honda and the Mazda are closer in felt effort through the wheel.

Back