JDM CX-5 "Signature Wing Illumination" Accessory

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
Anyone know any specifics about the JDM "Signature Wing Illumination" accessory?

I happened to see a 2015 or 2016 Mazda6 last week at night making a U-turn, and saw that it had the Signature Wing Illumination (or perhaps an aftermarket recreation), and realized it really looks amazing. I know it isn't to everyone's taste, but the lighting accent is rather subtle in person and essentially extends a thin line of white led illumination from the inner edge of the headlights down along the bottom of the grille.

While it may not look quite as impressive on the narrower grille/front end of the CX-5, I am really tempted to put aside some money to save up for the Japanese accessory version for the CX-5. On the other hand, I also think it is significantly overpriced (it will be ~$450 w/shipping for those online sellers shipping to the US) for what I think is just a LED light tube with the required harness. From what I can see online, it also seems that on the Mazda 6 trimlines/markets with this from the factory, there's actually a clear channel insert under the grille for this light, but it appears that the CX-5's is accessory-only and instead sits above the bottom edge of the grille.

Big question, though--anyone know if the harness noted as being required is compatible with US-spec cars and with the 2016 GT's LED headlight assemblies? I'd assume that harness plugs in between an existing headlight plug & connector. I cannot find any details online on compatibility or installation instructions.

For the CX-5:

K070-V4-580 (Signature Wing Illumination)
B45A-V7-790 (Intermediate harness)

Funny thing is that while I really like the grille light, the related accessory (K070-V4-590) that lights up the Mazda emblem is not at all to my taste. (wink)

Here are some photos and a discussion around the Mazda 6 version...

http://forum.mazda6club.com/models-trim/309554-signature-wing-led-el-lights.html

K070-V4-580.jpg

p1.jpg

from what I can see using Japanese google, the OEm version is more sublte than his LED strip version

Yes, good point--and I should have noted that the link I posted to the Mazda6 discussion has photos of a DIY'er version, not the Mazda product.

Here's a photo of the OEM version:

2016_mazda6_28_1024x768.jpg

You can get the OEM version on ebay as a stock JDM accessory/option. When you said wing, I was expecting something on the back, but I know what you mean now after seeing the pic. I saw this on a mercedes before and it definitely caught my eye and it looked cool, but I personally wouldn't want a glowing grill or anything like that on my car. Yes, I'm the type that likes the cheesy under car neon kits like the one I put on my 2002 Rav4 way back in the day, but for some reason I'm not a fan of the "wing" on the Mazda's. Consider with the headlights on, there might just be too much going on in the front.

Each to his own. No matter what I personally think, I still think it'd be cool if you got it and I'd be very happy for you. Sounds like a fun project.

I think my biggest concern still is that the cost to purchase it here in the States seems waaaay beyond what it should be for the parts included, which essentially is just an intermediary wiring harness and a LED light strip. What appeals to me is that it is relatively subtle, and ties visually into the headlights, so it doesn't seem so obviously tacked on as some lighting mods can appear.

And thank you for your careful expression of not liking this accessory in particular. I appreciate the way you wrote that--there's sometimes too much of that EWWWWWW!! UGLY!! YOU HAVE NO TASTE (chair) on car forums when people post a mod or accessory which they individually like. What a boring world we'd live in if everyone liked exactly the same thing.....

Back