Mazda Protege 2003 Cold Start

Jungle_Jonny

:
Mazda Protege 2003
Good Day Guys,

So when I'm going to start my car cold it cranks fine but before the car starts the car chugs twice as if its struggling to get that spark to turn on the engine but after that the car turns on fine. I would have to wait till tomorrow to post a video. Battery is new and the weather outside 73 degrees F. When I start the car throughout the day it works perfectly fine. I'm just concerned about that weird chug as if its going to die.

Thank You

I went to the mechanic today and I got two CEL's P0421 and P0090, could these two issues be the cause to my semi rough start?

P0421: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0421

P0090:
Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Circuit

Possible causes

- Faulty fuel pressure sensor
- Fuel pressure sensor harness is open or shorted
- Fuel pressure sensor electrical circuit poor connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

What about the obd code?

If the current is outside of the expected range, DTC P0090 Mazda will set.

Symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

P0090 Mazda Description

The Engine Control Module (ECM) supplies power and ground to the Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) regulator. The ECM monitors current on the circuits to detect a failure.

I suspect this may be the stumble issue of which you wrote.

Where would the Fuel Pressure Sensor be located I recently got this car and I don't know where it is , Would the Fuel Injection Pressure regulator also be involved there could be air intake leak from that specific part that could be flooding my car when i start it cold

I don't think the car is flooding, modern ECU controlled cars don't really flood themselves. The Fuel pressure solenoid is the small black solenoid on top of intake manifold near the throttle body. It has a brown connector and a little brown dot on top of the solenoid. You can get them a dime a dozen used at a junkyard but you run the risk of getting another bad solenoid so grab a handful, or buy a new one but they are about $100 a piece.

Alright reporting back, I changed the EGR Vacuum Solenoid (AKA P0090), and the code is now gone, I'm stuck with the P0421 code but I'm going to do the non fouler using this product , https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
As far as my cold starts my car turns over but my engine still struggles to turn on, I believe it may be the Fuel Pump not priming enough pressure to spark my engine up.
overall the car runs fine besides that cold start.

if you listen closely to 0:14 here the car struggles to start, in this video it was not so bad but sometimes it chugs to turn on, battery is new though

Latest posts

Back