Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

2016_cx9_008-1024x577.jpg
Car and Driver also:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-mazda-cx-9-official-photos-and-info-news

The addition of a SIGNATURE spec above the Grand touring...includes Rosewood trim, Nappa leather, ....(eekdance)

Last edited:
Big omission is Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. I hope this can be added as a software update later.

The middle seat in the 2nd row looks miserable.

Why still no CarPlay???

Interior dimensions will be key for me. Cargo space behind the 3rd row based on the photos looks to be almost non-existent.

Also critical will be MPG and towing capacity. Plus I need a 2nd row bench but I also want all the safety features that come with the top trim lines. If Mazda pulls a Honda/Toyota and makes captains chairs in the 2nd row mandatory to get those features, I'm out.

I'm willing to cancel my Durango R/T order (if I can convince the wife) if this new CX-9 will fill the bill.

Agreed 100%. Mandatory captains chairs in the 2nd row of the Pilot and Highlander top trim levels effectively knocked both off my shopping list. A dumb decision by both Honda and Toyota to not make that optional. With 3 kids I don't want a kid in the 3rd row by necessity, killing half my cargo space.

If there's one serious advantage to domestic brands, it's their more flexible options. In the Durango I can choose either rear bench or captains chairs on any trim level.

I'd do captain's chairs in a Pilot or Highlander because the 3rd row "can" seat 3 passengers. But if I had 3 kids, that would be a no-go, because I wouldn't have enough cargo space for vacations with 1/2 of the 3rd row in use. But the Santa Fe Limited is 2/2/2, which is just silly to me.

The middle seat in the 2nd row looks miserable.

Why still no CarPlay???

Interior dimensions will be key for me. Cargo space behind the 3rd row based on the photos looks to be almost non-existent.

Also critical will be MPG and towing capacity. Plus I need a 2nd row bench but I also want all the safety features that come with the top trim lines. If Mazda pulls a Honda/Toyota and makes captains chairs in the 2nd row mandatory to get those features, I'm out.

I'm willing to cancel my Durango R/T order (if I can convince the wife) if this new CX-9 will fill the bill.
It's pretty clear from the press release and pics that they're not offering captain's chairs at all since there's no mention. And even if they did, they wouldn't be mandatory on the Signature spec, since all the pics are in fact a Signature interior and they show a bench middle row.

The lack of captains chairs is bizarre. All the top-selling SUVs put captains chairs in their high-end models (either as standard or option): Explorer Sport or Platinum, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Dodge Durango, etc. Yet Mazda doesn't even offer the option. Just crazy.

With two kids under 3, I can't imagine not having captains chairs. Explorer, here I come!

With two kids under 3, I can't imagine not having captains chairs. Explorer, here I come!

Is it because 2 car seats make 3rd row access difficult? When my kids were at that stage, I didn't have an issue because we didn't need 3rd row access back then.

What I hate is the captain's chairs as part of a package--because it's almost always in the package I want. I wish it would just be a stand-alone option. I actually liked the way the prior gen Highlander handled it--with a removable, stowable, center seat section.

I, personally, have never seen a turbo engine that didn't require premium gas. That said, if you're worried about having to pay an extra $8 or so each time you fill up your tank then you shouldn't be considering a CX-9 in the first place.

Well Mazda must have thought it was important to include us "premium gas worried folks" otherwise they wouldn't have made mention of how the new CX-9 can run on regular 87 octane gas.

Well, I have 3 kids over 3 and I need a usable bench seat in the middle row. But that center seat on the bench looks unbearable to sit on for an extended amount of time - I'm sure my kids would be fighting about who has to sit on "the hump" every time we got in the vehicle. :(

Durango here I come?

In fact, that center seat in the middle row looks so unaccommodating that perhaps it's removable a la the old Highlander?

Is it because 2 car seats make 3rd row access difficult? When my kids were at that stage, I didn't have an issue because we didn't need 3rd row access back then..
We take car trips with our toddler & baby, so my wife needs to sit back there with them. She wouldn't be able to manage that without captain's chairs. Further, the current CX-9 feels really claustrophobic in the 3rd row, and captain's chairs or a fold-down middle section (like the CX-5) really alleviates that.

Why the heck didn't Mazda simply make the new CX-9 like the CX-5, with the fold-down middle section, allowing for both bench seating as well as 3rd row access? Would be PERFECT!! Come on, Mazda.
12-mazda-cx-5-interior-colors.jpg

Well Mazda must have thought it was important to include us "premium gas worried folks" otherwise they wouldn't have made mention of how the new CX-9 can run on regular 87 octane gas.
The Car and Driver article says premium gas is needed to get the full 250 hp; regular gas reduces HP to 227, but doesn't reduce torque.

Personally, if premium gas gets to 20 mpg mixed, I'll take it over my 16 mpg on 87 now.

We take car trips with our toddler & baby, so my wife needs to sit back there with them. She wouldn't be able to manage that without captain's chairs. Further, the current CX-9 feels really claustrophobic in the 3rd row, and captain's chairs or a fold-down middle section (like the CX-5) really alleviates that. [/IMG]

I don't follow. Captain's chairs in the 2nd row = 2 seats. Baby + toddler + wife = 3 passengers. (uhm) Common Core math??

The Car and Driver article says premium gas is needed to get the full 250 hp; regular gas reduces HP to 227, but doesn't reduce torque.

Personally, if premium gas gets to 20 mpg mixed, I'll take it over my 16 mpg on 87 now.

We'll see...the wife and the kids will be driving this 90 percent of the time. I will probably tell her to just run regular in it. Gas is pretty cheap now but if it is tuned to allow 87 and mileage isn't much different not worth the premium price bump for 23 hp. I have two other vehicles in garage that need premium so having one that doesn't would be nice.

I, personally, have never seen a turbo engine that didn't require premium gas. That said, if you're worried about having to pay an extra $8 or so each time you fill up your tank then you shouldn't be considering a CX-9 in the first place.

My 2016 Subaru WRX limited doesn't require premium. I run 87 fine and still average 26MPG

My 2016 Subaru WRX limited doesn't require premium. I run 87 fine and still average 26MPG

I would be careful with the wrx stock tune. I have a 2015 with 17,000 miles and have experienced detonation a handful of times on the stock tune and 93 octane. I have had the software update which is the same as your tune and it has done it once. I would be skeptical of stock tune being able to adjust for 87 very well.

It was announced that it will require premium 93 octane.

For areas that only have 91 octane max, the engine will de-tune itself to prevent detonation, so that means less HP/Torque for those pumping 91 octane into the tank.

I have confidence in the engineering BUT I am always leery of new designs. I will wait a year or two before I decide if the new turbo engines are reliable.

Back