Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

2016 Mazda CX-9 Live Images

0_1_2015111800585667078.jpg

0_1_2015111800585499891.jpg

0_1_2015111800585732703.jpg

0_1_2015111800585843641.jpg

My dad has been in the market for a 3 row crossover and this seems to really fit the bill. One of the main features he's looking for is forward collision warning, blind spot monitoring and lane keeping/warning.

In the Highlander, you have to get the top of the line Limited trim in order to get those features, but it puts the MSRP at 45k. Over our budget. In the Honda Pilot, you can get all these systems for 37-38k, which is much more reasonable, but the blind spot monitoring system is that side rear facing camera which wasn't nice to use. We also don't like that it's only for one side and is not a "go/no go" type of system, like the system used on other Mazda cars or the Highlander.

If this new CX9 packages these features like they do for their other cars, it would mean that these active safety systems can be had on the middle trim level and at a reasonable price. Definitely looking forward to seeing the details of the CX9.

My dad has been in the market for a 3 row crossover and this seems to really fit the bill. One of the main features he's looking for is forward collision warning, blind spot monitoring and lane keeping/warning.

In the Highlander, you have to get the top of the line Limited trim in order to get those features, but it puts the MSRP at 45k. Over our budget. In the Honda Pilot, you can get all these systems for 37-38k, which is much more reasonable, but the blind spot monitoring system is that side rear facing camera which wasn't nice to use. We also don't like that it's only for one side and is not a "go/no go" type of system, like the system used on other Mazda cars or the Highlander.

If this new CX9 packages these features like they do for their other cars, it would mean that these active safety systems can be had on the middle trim level and at a reasonable price. Definitely looking forward to seeing the details of the CX9.

The Blind spot will be available on Touring if Mazda continues to do what they have offered for the past 5 or 5 years on the CX-9. The forward obstruction warning I would not expect on anything Less than the GT that NEEDS a tech package, but that is just my guess

Of the features you listed, only the BSM is on my '15 Touring. I'd expect Mazda will continue this, although manufacturers are offering more/better safety features on the non-top tier trims more often it seems.

If we go by the safety features made available on the recently released CX-3, I would guess that the Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) will likely be available on the Touring but other advanced safety features included in the i-ACTIVSENSE package would only be made available on the highest trim level, the Grand Touring (GT). In addition, I expect the CX-9 to get the i-ACTIV AWD System. The only unknown is the integration of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay since the Mazda UConnect system currently does not have either one.

Last edited:
If we go by the safety features made available on the recently released CX-3, I would guess that the Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) will likely be available on the Touring but other advanced safety features included in the i-ACTIVSENSE package would only be made available on the highest trim level, the Grand Touring (GT). In addition, I expect the CX-9 to get the i-ACTIV AWD System. The only unknown is the integration of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay since the Mazda UConnect system currently does not have either one.

Hrm...you're right. I'm behind in my knowledge. I was comparing it to the way my 2014 was packaged, which at the time, the most advance safety feature was the Smart City Brake system. The touring's tech package included SCBS, which was nice. Now since they've expanded the amount of active safety systems, they only include it in the top GT trim.

I think that would still be ok, as long as the GT with i-ACTIVSENSE can be had for 40k or less. Best comparison would be the Honda Pilot EX-L w/honda sensing for $38k.

Can someone pop the hood or zoom in on the badge in the back... Is that a SKYACTIV badge? SKYACTIV TURBO badge?

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...-auto-show-mazda-cx-9-20151116-htmlstory.html

The details
The new engine puts out 250 horsepower, less than the 273 produced by the V-6 in the current model. But the new engine will produce 310 pound-feet or torque compared to the 270 in the old engine. The vehicle also is expected to get fuel economy in the low 20 mpg range, about a 20% gain on the current model. It will be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

Will it require premium gas....?

Good question, however the hp / trq numbers suggest to me that they left a little on the table to forgo the PREM REQ?

I am thinking that the MAZDASPEED3 version of this motor will be a premium required version with higher perf numbers.

Last edited:
Would I be foolish to hope for a sport trim package that ditches all the exterior chrome? :(

With those tq/hp numbers and 200 lbs less weight, it should do 0-60 a few tenths quicker. I'd predict 7.1 sec compared to the 7.5 sec of the outgoing CX-9. That's not bad.

If they give us the option for 2-2-2 seating, then I'm in! But if it's 2-3-2 then I'm out, and will be buying an Explorer this weekend. Gotta have captains chairs.

Last edited:
With those tq/hp numbers and 200 lbs less weight, it should do 0-60 a few tenths quicker. I'd predict 7.1 sec compared to the 7.5 sec of the outgoing CX-9. That's not bad.

If they give us the option for 2-2-2 seating, then I'm in! But if it's 2-3-2 then I'm out, and will be buying an Explorer this weekend. Gotta have captains chairs.

I'm the other way around--middle captain's chairs are a deal breaker for me; it rules out car pooling.

I, personally, have never seen a turbo engine that didn't require premium gas. That said, if you're worried about having to pay an extra $8 or so each time you fill up your tank then you shouldn't be considering a CX-9 in the first place.

Unless Mazda has some sort of clown car magic going on, I don't see how the new CX-9 will be a viable 3-row competitor (size-wise) to the Pilots and Durangos of the world.

As I mentioned earlier, the Durango is currently on top of my To Buy list, but I was hoping the new CX-9 would knock it out of its spot (I'm still leery of domestic brands). But looking at the photos, the CX-9 looks more like a CX-7, and perhaps not substantially larger than a CX-5. Note the length of the rear quarter on both the Durango and new CX-9 (photos are not to scale, but you can see the relative comparison). Not even in the same ballpark. What's going on here?

Q5dIybU.jpg

Last edited:
I'm the other way around--middle captain's chairs are a deal breaker for me; it rules out car pooling.

Agreed 100%. Mandatory captains chairs in the 2nd row of the Pilot and Highlander top trim levels effectively knocked both off my shopping list. A dumb decision by both Honda and Toyota to not make that optional. With 3 kids I don't want a kid in the 3rd row by necessity, killing half my cargo space.

If there's one serious advantage to domestic brands, it's their more flexible options. In the Durango I can choose either rear bench or captains chairs on any trim level.

If there's one serious advantage to domestic brands, it's their more flexible options. In the Durango I can choose either rear bench or captains chairs on any trim level.
I just can't understand why Mazda doesn't just make some captain's chairs for its dealers to install for those of us willing to pay for them. Surely each Mazda dealer could inventory a couple pairs. And since the interiors are always black, we're talking about 2 part numbers, Left and Right.

I'm still scratching my head that anyone is considering both Durango and CX-9. Have you seen up-close the interiors in the Durango? I was stunned at how cheap they are; one glance and my decision was made. Didn't even want a test drive. The Durango is even a few steps down from the GMC Acadia, which has a pretty cheap interior itself.

Agreed 100%. Mandatory captains chairs in the 2nd row of the Pilot and Highlander top trim levels effectively knocked both off my shopping list. A dumb decision by both Honda and Toyota to not make that optional. With 3 kids I don't want a kid in the 3rd row by necessity, killing half my cargo space.

Same here. I carry people (and a dog) more often than cargo. I would be forced to get a 2016 Pilot in Touring trim if I had to go that route, but features on the Elite trim get lost, like the Blind Spot Information System (BSI) with Cross Traffic Monitor. It's not even available as an option. (headshake

Last edited:
Back