Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
See Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9 for pictures.

Our spy photographers have sent us the first images of Mazda's next-generation CX-9 crossover. These pictures were snapped while the 2017 CX-9 was undergoing shakedown testing in San Bernardino, California.

First introduced in 2007, the current CX-9 traces its roots back to Ford's partial ownership of Mazda. The CX-9 was given an exterior refresh in 2013, but the crossover has otherwise changed very little during its eight years on the market.

That will soon change, however, as a total overhaul is planned for the 2017 model year. The new CX-9 will borrow most of its styling from the compact CX-5 CUV. In fact, this CX-9 prototype looks pretty much like a puffed up CX-5.

Inside we should see more safety and convenience technologies. Look for top spec models to offer driving aids like lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control.

Underhood Mazda will ditch the CX-9's V6 in favor of a more fuel efficient 2.5L turbocharged four-cylinder. Front-wheel drive will be standard, but all-wheel drive will be available as an optional extra.

Look for the 2017 Mazda CX-9 to debut at this year's Los Angeles auto show before going on sale in early 2016.

2017-mazda-cx-9-9_1200.jpg

2016-mazda-cx-9-0.jpg

2016 Mazda CX-9 Priced from $31,520 MSRP[1], Elevates Midsize, Three-Row Crossover Experience

IRVINE, Calif., March 17, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) has today released pricing and packaging information for its all-new 2016 Mazda CX-9 midsize, three-row crossover SUV. Offering a premium experience, fun-to-drive handling dynamics and bold KODOSoul of Motion design, CX-9 represents a compelling offering in its class with a starting MSRP from $31,520.

"With the 2016 CX-9, we have lofty expectations, raising the bar with a quieter, smoother ride; a quicker, more responsive powertrain; and numerous other improvements," said Robert Davis, senior vice president, U.S. Operations, MNAO. "CX-9 is our flagship and portends a future of innovative technologies and amenities that we believe will further elevate our vehicles in their respective classes."

In Sport trim, CX-9 comes standard with LED headlights and taillightssimilar to Mazda's 2016 MX-5 Miata roadsteras well as fabric seating surfaces, an electronic parking brake, 18-inch wheels, rear backup camera, trailer stability assist, MAZDA CONNECTTM infotainment with Commander control and a seven-inch color display. Optionally available is the Sport Package, which adds a power driver's seat, heated front seats and heated door mirrors.

CX-9 Touring adds an auto-dimming rearview mirror, Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, HomeLink garage door openers, black- or sand-colored leather seating surfaces, Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System, a power liftgate, power front seats, and an eight-inch MAZDA CONNECTTM touchscreen display. Additionally, customers can opt for the Touring Premium Package, which further includes automatic on/off headlights, LED fog lights, navigation, a premium 12-speaker BOSE audio system, rain-sensing wipers, rear backup sensors, second-row retractable sunshades, SiriusXM satellite radio, automatic Smart City Brake Support and a sunroof.

Further heightening the CX-9 lineup is the Grand Touring model, which builds upon the Sport and Touring trim levels with Adaptive Front-lighting System, 20-inch wheels, aluminum interior trim, Mazda's first Active Driving Display that projects instrument and navigation information onto the windshield, high-beam control, lane-departure warning, lane-keep assist, Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Smart Brake Support, roof rails and memory settings on the driver's seat.

Finally, CX-9 Signature helms the top of the lineup, coming standard with Mazda's predictive i-ACTIV all-wheel drivea system that uses 27 sensors, measuring conditions more than 200 times per second to determine how to allocate power to each wheel as to minimize ever feeling the wheels slip.

CX-9 Signature adorns its interior with Auburn-colored Nappa leather, rosewood supplied by Japanese guitar-maker Fujigen, LED signature accent grille lighting and LED accent lighting around the automatic shifter.

All models come powered by Mazda's new turbocharged SKYACTIV-G 2.5T engine, which generates a punchy 310 lb-ft of torque from just 2,000 rpm on either 87- or 93-octane gasoline. It also produces 250 horsepower on 93-octane gasoline (227 horsepower on 87-octane) and nets class-leading2 EPA-estimated fuel-economy ratings on either gasoline grade22 mpg city/28 mpg highway/25 mpg combined in front-wheel-drive configuration.

That engine is paired with a standard SKYACTIV-DRIVE six-speed automatic and is available in front-wheel drive or i-ACTIV all-wheel drive.

"Part of our focus during development the new CX-9 was on 'effortless transition'the idea of juggling being a parent with an on-the-go lifestyle and then having a vehicle that can accommodate enjoying a weekend getaway with your significant other," said Davis. "Whether you need the space or just prefer its design and elegance, we believe CX-9 is an exceptional vehicle that will delight many new and returning customers to the Mazda brand."

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices3 for each model and its options are as follows (add $1,800 for all-wheel drive):

CX-9 Sport

$31,520

Sport Package

$950

CX-9 Touring

$35,970

Touring Premium Package

$1,745

CX-9 Grand Touring

$40,170

CX-9 Signature (AWD Standard)

$44,015

Premium Paint Colors:

Snowflake White Pearl Mica

$200

Soul Red Metallic

$300

Machine Gray Metallic

$300

The 2016 Mazda CX-9 is expected to go on sale in the U.S. in late-spring 2016. Final packaging and specifications to be released closer to on-sale date.

Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at www.mazdausamedia.com

Last edited:
It looks like there might be a turbo four in that thing....those front intakes look sizable....unless they did go six-pot that is.

It looks like there might be a turbo four in that thing....those front intakes look sizable....unless they did go six-pot that is.

Confirmed on Autoblog. Its coming with a turbo four, 2.5! Excited, since this is a sign the Mazdaspeed 3 may be close to showings its face.

All the reputable sources have been saying a turbo 2.5 is going to be the engine used. So id say thats a safe bet.

I dig the looks, but from the side profile, looks like they dropped the 3rd row seating. Which really is unfortunate. The new CX9 was pretty much a guarantee i was going to trade in my 2013 for... But if they drop the 3rd row seating, that wont happen. At that point i would have just bought a CX5..

They would be crazy to drop the 3rd row. But we all know how that goes.

I think the wrap is going over the 3rd row seat window partially so it makes it look like the back is smaller than what it really is.

Here is an article on it with a couple of other pics:
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2017-mazda-cx-9-spied-wearing-psychedelic-camouflage-98007.html
I agree--Mazda can't afford to lose the 3rd row in this vehicle. They are trying to grow their sales (which are not stellar as it is now)--one of the things that the CX-9 has had going for it all these years is that the 3rd row is actually usable on a regular basis.

Hopefully that'll also mean we'll see that engine in the Mazda6

What kind of gas mileage did that car get? They are not going to use a performance tuned turbo 4 in the CX-9 unless they can keep the "SkyActiv" MPG goals up.

What kind of gas mileage did that car get? They are not going to use a performance tuned turbo 4 in the CX-9 unless they can keep the "SkyActiv" MPG goals up.

I hope you realize that if Mazda really is doing a turbo 4 it has to have power and fuel economy all in one package, especially in the CX-9. That 2.3-liter in the MS3, MS6 and CX-7 is literally ancient and turbo technology has made quite a good deal of strides due to CAFE standards. I wasn't implying I wanted a MS6 back, with the diesel Mazda6 nowhere in sight in American soil, they need a power option for their midsizer and a turbo four would be able to power the CX-9 and be an option in the Mazda6. The Mazda6 already has a great chassis, all it needs is more power now and the CX-9 might just be the car to force Mazda to make a turbo four.

I hope you realize that if Mazda really is doing a turbo 4 it has to have power and fuel economy all in one package, especially in the CX-9. That 2.3-liter in the MS3, MS6 and CX-7 is literally ancient and turbo technology has made quite a good deal of strides due to CAFE standards. I wasn't implying I wanted a MS6 back, with the diesel Mazda6 nowhere in sight in American soil, they need a power option for their midsizer and a turbo four would be able to power the CX-9 and be an option in the Mazda6. The Mazda6 already has a great chassis, all it needs is more power now and the CX-9 might just be the car to force Mazda to make a turbo four.

Sorry--I was thinking you were referring to the engine from he MazdaSpeed6. Yes--it would be nice to see some performance-oriented version of the 6.

Sorry--I was thinking you were referring to the engine from he MazdaSpeed6. Yes--it would be nice to see some performance-oriented version of the 6.

All good.

Mazda's going to get forced into the turbo game one way or the other. The 2.5L SA-G I-4 isn't lifting a three-row crossover that's at or near two tons with a family and their gear in it without struggling or feeling like its going to have a hernia and CAFE standard worldwide are getting more strict. Plus the Miata can only do so much, sure its their halo car but its also got limited appeal. Something with more power needs to sit right next to the Miata as a more mainstream halo,which could be a turbo-four Mazda6 or a MS3...the latter however, needs to get with the program and come with both the SA-6MT and SA-Drive 6AT (which I think is one of the best conventional ATs out there), can't be giving away sales to VW, Mini, and Subaru, gotta expand the car's appeal as much as possible. The CX-9, imo, is the car that might bring back more powerful Mazdas to the lineup, sure 300 hp is nice but considering how light these cars are getting, they don't need to go over that number.

2017-mazda-cx-9-9_1200.jpg

I like it !! nice clean agressive lines.
The uncovered picture below looks closest to the disguised spy picture above,
all the disguised design elements and lines match EXACTLY.

I pretty sure this will be the final production version of the 2016 CX-9 :

side by side comparison, I prefer the 2013+ sleeker design especially in meteor grey:

Last edited:
Nice find Astriuminc ! nice looking agressive design, I'll probably get it once my 2013 retires and there's enough reliability data

[/QUOTE]

Id be more then happy to trade my Meteor gray 2013 for that redesign. If for anything else, to get away from so much Ford influence mechanically.

The rendering is spot on. I like it a lot!!!

Hopefully the CX-9 will bring more powerful engines back into the Mazda lineup, especially since that 2.2-liter turbodiesel is still MIA.

4 cylinder turbo? Even if it can tow the same as the current V6 it's going to work a lot harder.

Everything's going turbo nowadays, though I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda dropped a six-pot instead. Just put it in other cars too like the Mazda6 and CX-5.

very similar to the new CX-3 front except the new CX-9 grill juts out much further upfront.

Hopefully, all that jutting out won't block the usable light from the headlights,
god knows we need better lights on the CX-9, the OEM lights are just horrible, can't see squat at night

I'm very wary of 4-cylinder turbo, the CX-7 was just a disaster, Google CX-7 turbo problems
http://repairpal.com/turbocharger-may-fail-415

CX-9 is a beast, not sure if a four banger can handle the load, I wouldn't buy the new one just yet
until there is enough reliability data

Last edited:
Back