Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

OK, I have both my 13' GT and 16' in my garage and took some measurements. It seems the Mazda guy was pretty accurate in his assessment of the lowered floor. The 16' rear seat is almost 5" taller than the 13' rear seat. The section where the hump is, the 16' actually a little taller than the 13' middle seat section. See attached pics with a tape measure.

Thanks for posting this info jr. Should make for a much more comfortable seating position for 2nd row passengers. If there was a middle seat passenger, I would think having one leg on either side of the hump would feel most natural.

What are your driving impressions thus far?

The local dealer has 1 touring in stock. Looked pretty nice in person, but didn't get a chance to see the inside because no salesmen were around.

They also marked it up $3000 over sticker so I may be playing a waiting game...

Dealers are so stupid sometimes. Like people can't just go and buy another really good midsized cross over....

OK, I have both my 13' GT and 16' in my garage and took some measurements. It seems the Mazda guy was pretty accurate in his assessment of the lowered floor. The 16' rear seat is almost 5" taller than the 13' rear seat. The section where the hump is, the 16' actually a little taller than the 13' middle seat section. See attached pics with a tape measure.

This is great. Thanks. I was pretty critical of the hump in the new car from when I saw the first pictures. But if it's there only because they carved out additional space for the outboard passengers then there's little to complain about.

Can you compare measures from 3rd row bench to ceiling, because it looks to me that considering the lost on the head room, they rise the bench, rather than lowering the floor. n my GT11 I do not hit the ceiling when seated on the third row, but on the show room's '16 I definitively touch the celling with my head. That is bugging as then restrict you to have anybody than petites or kids on the third

I've been lurking on the forum, but since I test drove a Grand Touring today I thought I would post some observations.

Overall the CX9 looks nice, I drove the GT and I checked out the Signature in the showroom. I was surprised just how massive the front end looks, it's a lot bigger vehicle than I expected. But the interior volume doesn't reflect the external size, IMO the Highlander and Pathfinder seem more voluminous, yet smaller exterior. The middle seat in the 2nd row is not comfortable for an adult, they really made this with middle seat as a bonus, not a feature. The hump isn't flat, it appears to have a couple height tiers, kinda strange. The third row is ok for kids, but at 6' my head was right against the roof, a little claustrophobic. But the third row seats are comfortable. The 2nd row outer seats were very comfortable, if you're family has 4, then it's a great choice. I have 5 so I'm on the fence. Did I mention how massive the front end is? The cockpit appears nicely laid out, figuring out the whole cruise control and safety features were no intuitive, granted I've never driven a Mazda before. I was super perplexed on the seat controls. In my 2 Honda's including a 6 year old Accord, I can tilt the seat forward and backwards, in addition to up down back forward and it's a LX-P. But I could only get the driver seat to go up and down, back/forward and lumbar. Is this normal for Mazda, the seat was comfortable, but the controls were terrible and I couldn't get a comfortable position, felt to slanted forward, I don't know if Mazda has some unique adjustment method, the CX9 doesn't tilt or mine was faulty. Either way it was disappointing, unless I messed up, which I don't think is the case. If it is a design flaw, bummer, if it's a faulty seat, bad quality control.

Onto driving, getting in I felt like I was in a tank, feels like you sink down into it like a car rather than sit up like a SUV or it's just got a high belt line. It wasn't bad, just weird. To be honest it drove more like a car than a SUV, not bad. Pilot drives like the Odyssey van, and the Highlander felt like a truck to me. Acceleration was good, nice get up and go. Handled nicely. In my limited drive it was pleasant to use.

I can confirm that the HUD does NOT work with polarized glasses. I had on my polarized sunglasses and it was barely noticeable, but when I took them off it was very clear. It looked really nice to be honest, better than the 2015 Corvette's HUD.

Honestly the 2nd row middle seat might be the deal breaker for me. I want to have a decent 2nd row in case we have to load up the back, I don't want it to be just ok, not at $40K+ for the GT. I'll have to go back with the family and get their thoughts. A nice ride for sure, just maybe not right for me. I can always get non-polarized sunglasses, but can't replace the seat.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer.

mazda driver seats definitely can be tilted forward and back - i believe that is what "8-way adjustable" means: 1) forward 2) back 3) up 4) down 5) tilt forward 6) tilt back 7) lumbar in 8) lumbar out. my cx-5 tilts forward and back. there is typically a vertically placed lever and just push the top of it forward to tilt (not the WHOLE lever). pretty intuitive if you ask me. the front/back/up/down lever is horizontally placed below it.

my wife said the same thing about the middle row middle seat - she was sitting on there while the kids were on the outer seats. she said it is not good for an adult. we have only 2 kids so definitely ok for our family.

waiting on the right color combo GTs to come in to NJ.

Last edited:
mazda driver seats definitely can be tilted forward and back - i believe that is what "8-way adjustable" means: 1) forward 2) back 3) up 4) down 5) tilt forward 6) tilt back 7) lumbar in 8) lumbar out. my cx-5 tilts forward and back. there is typically a vertically placed lever and just push the top of it forward to tilt (not the WHOLE lever). pretty intuitive if you ask me. the front/back/up/down lever is horizontally placed below it.

my wife said the same thing about the middle row middle seat - she was sitting on there while the kids were on the outer seats. she said it is not good for an adult. we have only 2 kids so definitely ok for our family.

waiting on the right color combo GTs to come in to NJ.

Perhaps I should clarify, I'm saying the seat base, not the seat back. In Honda's you can tilt the base of the seat in addition to tilting the backrest. Unless the vertical lever will tilt the base, which seems odd.

As said before...the base tilts just fine. Just a matter of learning the vehicle

NoahLa is correct. I have both a 13'GT and a 16 Signature in my garage and that is the first thing I noticed about the drivers seat. Mazda removed the tilt feature for the seat base. Bad move by Mazda. The seat base is too flat. I like to tilt the seat back of the base down so it pushes my rear end against the back of the seat and have thigh support by tilting the front of the seat base up. Now it feels like you're sliding forward when applying the brakes hard. Oh well, its the wife's car anyway. My VW Touareg has 16 way adjustable seats for both driver and passenger. Even the VW Passat has 16 way power seats for both driver and passenger so I don't know how much money Mazda saved by removing this feature. Can't be much. Makes the car feel cheap. I would give up the useless and tacky LED light around the front grill for the seat base tilt feature.

NoahLa is correct. I have both a 13'GT and a 16 Signature in my garage and that is the first thing I noticed about the drivers seat. Mazda removed the tilt feature for the seat base. Bad move by Mazda. The seat base is too flat. I like to tilt the seat back of the base down so it pushes my rear end against the back of the seat and have thigh support by tilting the front of the seat base up. Now it feels like you're sliding forward when applying the brakes hard. Oh well, its the wife's car anyway. My VW Touareg has 16 way adjustable seats for both driver and passenger. Even the VW Passat has 16 way power seats for both driver and passenger so I don't know how much money Mazda saved by removing this feature. Can't be much. Makes the car feel cheap. I would give up the useless and tacky LED light around the front grill for the seat base tilt feature.

Thanks for confirming this shortcoming. If this is the case, deal breaker. It does feel like you're sliding forward, real shame because everything else seems well done in terms of driver comfort. I would not feel comfortable without a little seat tilt, why in the world did they removed this feature?! My crummy 2010 Accord LX-P has this in it, but not the new CX-9 Grand Touring... well I guess I'm back to searching for something else. I was pretty excited based upon initial reviews about the CX-9, thought I might buy one after 20 years of Honda's.

Honestly the seat controls didn't seem right, almost like it was malfunctioning. Pulling up on the back of the horizontal bar raised the seat, but pushing down on the front of the same bar also made it go up. Or something like that, it was just odd. In my Honda's you push/pull the horizontal bar as a whole and it goes up/down. If you push/pull the ends it will tilt. The CX-9 was a little wonky, could be a manufacturing defect, it would astound me if they took out this simple feature that is super important for driver comfort IMO.

I just drove the first CX9 in town...BIGGEST mistake this week. AMAZING vehicle for the money! Yes...the seat controls are different, but I thought they were very comfortable!

Did a test drive this afternoon. It was a GS-L model (similar to Touring in the US). It was only a brief test drive as most of the family was with me and I knew I wasn't purchasing today, thinking more long term. After driving a Honda Odyssey to the dealership (my current family vehicle) the CX-9 felt tiny in comparison. Easy to place it where you wanted and zoom in and out of traffic. It was only when looking back in the rearview mirror that I remembered this was a larger vehicle. I was also impressed by how quiet it is inside. Even over train tracks and winter ravished pavement, it was whisper quiet. Got back in my Odyssey after and immediately noticed the droning sound of the road surface coming through. I walked away from the brief test thoroughly impressed. I'll take it for a much longer drive though when the time comes to consider getting rid of the van. My wife asked if I liked the CX-9 or the Honda Pilot better. Pilot is definitely a bigger vehicle both inside and out, but the CX-9 is on a much higher level when it comes to refinement and more to my liking since it feels like a much smaller vehicle in how it drives. Also, the seats in the very back are less roomy than the Pilot, but your knees aren't pushed up into your face because of the cushion being placed so low. With some adjustment of the seats in the middle, I think the back of the CX-9 would be more comfortable than the Pilot since you're in a more natural seating position as opposed to a constant squat. Again, this is just from my brief observation with my son sitting back there. And for the record, he is 5'7 and probably had a good 4 inches of headroom still remaining. Overall very impressed but we need a van for now with 4 teenagers. One day...One day....

Can we clarify what are the 8 "ways" the seat can move?

Seat back recline (2)
Seat bottom forward and back (2)
Power lumbar (2)
Seat Bottom tilt up/down (2)?

If the seat bottom doesn't tilt up or down, then what is the other direction that is missing to make up the 8 "ways"?

The seat bottom doesn't tilt independently in the front and back. Rather the entire seat moves up or down only. As pointed out by other members, some prefer to have a lower rear and higher front for the seat bottom (I prefer this as well).

NoahLa is correct. I have both a 13'GT and a 16 Signature in my garage and that is the first thing I noticed about the drivers seat. Mazda removed the tilt feature for the seat base. Bad move by Mazda. The seat base is too flat. I like to tilt the seat back of the base down so it pushes my rear end against the back of the seat and have thigh support by tilting the front of the seat base up. Now it feels like you're sliding forward when applying the brakes hard.

I test drove one today, first thing I noticed as well, I prefer the seat base tilted a little higher in the front to support the knee and thighs like the left image. The new CX-9 driver seat base only remains flat like a bench in one position shown in the right image below , I kept sliding forward during braking. This is a deal breaker for me. Why in the world is there no seat base tilt ?? I wonder if Mazda will add in 2017+ models if enough people complain about it. Too bad, otherwise a nice car. Agree with what others have said, outside the car looks big but inside a bit cramped and second row middle seat isn't very comfortable for an adult, my wife is 5'4" and didn't like the hump.

P.S. It would be interesting to see crash test results as well and see if the crash test dummy slides in the seat.

2i9mcg1.jpg

Last edited:

My 2009 Touring driver's seat bottom tilts up and down independently of the seat back. Before I figured this out (after a few days), I could not sit comfortably in the car, let alone drive it safely. This is a MANDATORY feature in my opinion, as there is no way whatsoever I could drive/own the CX-9 without it and will no longer consider the new model now. Thanks for confirming this major shortcoming. What specifically are the 8 adjustments claimed on the Mazda website under Packages & Options & Accessories for the 8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support? I noticed that under the Standard Seating and Trim, they do indicate only a 6-way manual adjusted driver's seat.

Back