RIP Mazda5

They should be replaced when a visual inspection says they're cracking. My A/C belt started squeaking at 40K miles, but at 5 years or so. I replaced both.

Thank you

On my Honda and Lexus I replace the timing belt at 90k

I hadn't heard of a drive belt prior

My 2012 purchased new in 2011 turned 50k today. I plan to keep her till 100k or so at which point going to replace with a land cruiser

It didn't take that long LOL. 2 cross country, she has been to Alaska and Quebec. She is our daily driver between me and my wife so she gets driven 5-6 times weekly. I swear this car has got me surprise by its durability. We are now concern that it may just quit one of these days. Even the guys in Firestone are amazed as I got a lifetime free alignment so I bring her there at least twice a year.

ent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i have donee two cross country trips in my Elise , love it

I do want to drive up to Alaska but hasn't happened it

This is sad. If Mazda were to develop a new MZ5 based on the new architecture it would be awesome. I think of this everytime i get into the 6 from the MZ5. I had a loaded T&C rental today, and if it weren't for the horrid trans in these that tends to slam into gear every now and then I would probably get one. The price is good on these, and will only get better when the all new one comes out next year. Really need an awd people mover that can tow as well, and this leaves only one option if not going SUV - Toyota Sienna.

Dodge and Chrysler vans are garbage

I would drive a sienna oddy over those

I realize the price difference but it's worth it

Thank you

On my Honda and Lexus I replace the timing belt at 90k

I hadn't heard of a drive belt prior

My 2012 purchased new in 2011 turned 50k today. I plan to keep her till 100k or so at which point going to replace with a land cruiser

When I say cracking, I mean the ribs on the inside of the belt. Grab a flashlight and look at the inside. It's simple to take it off the tensioner and bend the belt backwards if you want to do a really thorough inspection.

For me, I know now that the A/C will squeal in the rain way before they crack, so I just watch for that. We have auto A/C so it's on a lot, FYI.

Dodge and Chrysler vans are garbage

I would drive a sienna oddy over those

I realize the price difference but it's worth it

We had better luck with our T&C over our Oddy. Traded the Oddy with less than 10k miles, kept the T&C for 200k. I left Honda after that one, and haven't gone back. FCA quality spooks me something fierce though.

When I say cracking, I mean the ribs on the inside of the belt. Grab a flashlight and look at the inside. It's simple to take it off the tensioner and bend the belt backwards if you want to do a really thorough inspection.

For me, I know now that the A/C will squeal in the rain way before they crack, so I just watch for that. We have auto A/C so it's on a lot, FYI.
Thank you for the info!

The trouble will be with the new generation of T/C that is due to debut next year, as that is the first major redo for those vans under the stewardship of FCA. I personally would wait for a full model year to see how everything shakes out with the new ones. FCA is well aware that the eyes of the world are upon them with each new vehicle they introduce, so I would tend to doubt they'll allow any real turkeys into the world.

Back