My car has a variable resistor for the second O2 sensor...help me make sense of it!

Hello all,

I have a 2003 P5 that the previous owner swapped a Mazdaspeed engine into. For the most part he left it stock (which is what I wanted), but he did something funky with the O2 sensors that I'm trying to make sense of. (This is my first turbo car, and while I've worked on tons of cars, electrical stuff has never been my strong suit).

The first O2 sensor he left alone. The second O2 sensor, however, he spliced wires into and installed a variable resistor (you can turn it with a flathead screwdriver). This is causing it to throw codes/check engine lights.

Why did he do this? (I don't get it, since the O2 sensor is still there...not sure why he didn't just leave it alone). What can I do to rectify the problem? Was this car supposed to have a THIRD O2 sensor?

We put a scan tool on it, and the variable resistor seems to be putting out either around 0.4V (I think it's volts) or 1.2V...as far as I know, it should be around 0.6 or 0.8, so either setting is making it throw codes (we left it at 0.4). If I put a non-variable resistor in place of the variable one...what kind should I put in?

Thanks very much!

Back