Latest CX-5 review

Agreed, very thorough and objective! CR-V can keep it's comfier ride and added storage, I'll take the CX-5's fun factor and uber-sexy looks every day!

Gosh the CX-5 would have been perfect with memory seat! (whistle)

Haha, yes. My 2010 Mazda 3 had them, so I didn't even check the CX-5, assuming it would have them as well - after all, it's 5 years newer than my 3 hatch and a fully optioned model. I was some pissed when I discovered the lack of memory for the driver's seat, Fortunately, adjusting from my wife's driving position just requires pushing one control down to the lowest setting. Her conversion back is achieved by lifting up to the highest position. We've found a compromise position for the steering wheel that we both feel comfortable with in our respective driving positions, so I won't be complaining about it any more. But the idea that our 2010 Mazda 3 would change positions automatically to match the fob that opened the doors - Mazda, you blew it leaving memory off the driver's seat on the fully optioned models. Shame on you!

Haha, yes. My 2010 Mazda 3 had them, so I didn't even check the CX-5, assuming it would have them as well - after all, it's 5 years newer than my 3 hatch and a fully optioned model. I was some pissed when I discovered the lack of memory for the driver's seat, Fortunately, adjusting from my wife's driving position just requires pushing one control down to the lowest setting. Her conversion back is achieved by lifting up to the highest position. We've found a compromise position for the steering wheel that we both feel comfortable with in our respective driving positions, so I won't be complaining about it any more. But the idea that our 2010 Mazda 3 would change positions automatically to match the fob that opened the doors - Mazda, you blew it leaving memory off the driver's seat on the fully optioned models. Shame on you!

CX5 do have memory seats in some markets. This is all a bit of a worldwide marketing game. Mazda is a small company and it does not have a luxury brand. In some part of the world (eg. Australasia), a fully loaded CX5 is positioned as a competitor to entry level premium CUV such as Audi Q3 and BMW X1. Hence memory seats (and all the gadgets) are important considerations when you are competing at that level. Mazda is basically saying "Look what have you been paying for a badge?"

I suspect the positioning of Mazda in the US is different hence some features are not available,

CX5 do have memory seats in some markets. This is all a bit of a worldwide marketing game. Mazda is a small company and it does not have a luxury brand. In some part of the world (eg. Australasia), a fully loaded CX5 is positioned as a competitor to entry level premium CUV such as Audi Q3 and BMW X1. Hence memory seats (and all the gadgets) are important considerations when you are competing at that level. Mazda is basically saying "Look what have you been paying for a badge?"

I suspect the positioning of Mazda in the US is different hence some features are not available,
Positioning should not be an excuse for not having the memory seat available. It's MNAO who elected to eliminate the memory seat thinking that it's not an important feature in NA market to save its cost. The fact is, unless your CX-5 has single driver all the time, the memory seat is a very useful and convenient feature with power seat. It takes time to find a perfect driving position sometimes. It'll be hard to relocate the same perfect position quickly once it got lost from another driver. I even think this is a little bit safety issue as we may end up at an uncomfortable driving position, which may cause driver fatigue more easily.

It takes time to find a perfect driving position sometimes. It'll be hard to relocate the same perfect position quickly once it got lost from another driver. I even think this is a little bit safety issue as we may end up at
an uncomfortable driving position, which may cause driver fatigue more easily.

I agree. Finding a perfect driving position takes time. Having to adjust it every time because there is more than one driver is really annoying.

In the market where I live, you have to pay entry level premium price if you want to get memory seats. On most brands you can't even add memory seats as an option to lower spec models. Such is the marketing game that is being played - "Please pay entry level premium price if you want memory seats"

Please do not insult CUV's, and entry level premium vehicles by putting the X1 in the same categories.

Nice review. Personally I like that I can hear the engine note. In fact, when I go out for a spirited drive (did I just say that...must be gettin' old) I kinda wish I could hear the engine note better. It's pretty muted which means that instead of listening to the RPM's and shifting accordingly (Sport+M), I often have to look down at the tach. Not a huge deal, but when I'm having fun like that, the last thing I want to do is take my eyes off the road. I also think he's spot on about the crisp handling of the car. I drove out Lucas Valley road over lunch on Friday, and man what a blast. There's one particular set of S's that are heavily cambered (+) and in the transition I got a distinct thud from my front right wheel well, making me think the suspension was completely unloaded. The entire time the chassis felt very composed and stable, got back to the office with a fat grin on my face.

Please do not insult CUV's, and entry level premium vehicles by putting the X1 in the same categories.

At $31.2K base price X1 is effectively entry level premium....

EDIT... or not.....not sure if anything shy of $40k is actually considered premium these days

Last edited:

At $31.2K base price X1 is effectively entry level premium....

EDIT... or not.....not sure if anything shy of $40k is actually considered premium these days

My point is the the X1 doesn't feel premium on the inside, and it's riding height makes it less of a CUV and more of a wagon.

My point is the the X1 doesn't feel premium on the inside, and it's riding height makes it less of a CUV and more of a wagon.

I'm a 'BMW guy' and just couldn't go over to the X1 when shopping a replacement. Same for the Tiguan. IMHO, the CX-5 is, hands down, the nicest looking CUV on the market today.

Great reviewer. Very robust and he captures the reasons why people buy the CX-5. One wonders when he is going to take a breath; I have not heard any reviewer talk faster with more info than Alex.

Back