Rear differential oil Transfer oil

:
Mazda cx5 sport 2013`
can someone tell me if Rear differential oil and Transfer oil is the same thing or is there one in the front of car that needs diff fluid also
. thanks fyi auto tranny

This from the 2013 FSM:

diff.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xfer.jpg

I think they use the same oil. I would recommend to take the fill plug out first and THEN take the drain plug out. If you can't get the fill plug out AFTER you go ahead and drain it your up the creek without a paddle! I also advise to avoid getting that oil on yourself, it stinks.

Last edited:
I'll probably be doing this sometime next year since I am at 14K miles and want to swap at less than 30K miles. I tow some and use my Yakima carrier at times.

I'll likely be using this for the front diff/transfer case & rear diff.

SVT.jpg
I would be concerned that the high viscosity would cause slippage of your AWD clutch pack and reduce AWD performance. My understanding is the solenoid that operates the clutch works it's magic by being intermittent and thus an oil with different engagement properties could impair the expected performance.

Good point... might just stick with recommend viscosity in FSM and one quart is all that is needed for both.

Rear differential oil
Specified oil grade: API service GL-5
Specified oil viscosity: SAE 80W-90
Capacity (approx. quantity): 0.45 L {0.48 US qt, 0.40 Imp qt}

Transfer oil
Specified oil grade: API Service GL 5
Specified oil viscosity: SAE 80W-90
Capacity (approx quantity): 0.45 L {0.48 US qt, 0.40 lmp qt}

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/synthetic-80w-90-gear-lube/?code=AGLQT-EA

AGL.jpg

Back