Planning to get coilovers, springrates for daily?

Ar5h3d

Im currently looking at D2coilovers as theyre relatively cheap here and allow you to spec custom springrates. What would you guys recommend for a daily driver? Im looking for a mild drop maybe 1.25" and I need stiff but stock feeling ride quality with some oversteer bias. im thinking 3K front 2.5K rear?

Sent from my ASUS_T00J-D using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a mild drop with not a lot of spring rate, why not just buy some drop springs and sport dampers? No matter which you buy, a rear torsion beam stiffener will help achieve the oversteer that you want. All of that can probably be had for less than a set of coilovers.

If you're looking for a mild drop with not a lot of spring rate, why not just buy some drop springs and sport dampers? No matter which you buy, a rear torsion beam stiffener will help achieve the oversteer that you want. All of that can probably be had for less than a set of coilovers.
Im already on tein s.techs. theyre just about right for comfort but a smidge too low.. if i buy sport dampers, the total cost would cost the same as the coilovers. D2s most basic set costs 760 USD here

Fair enough. Well since you're going all out with coilovers, I say get spring rates of around 5.5k front and 5k rear, so you don't lose too much performance. That's probably about double the rate of the average set of drop springs, but not too stiff for the street. No point in getting super soft springs for such an upgraded suspension setup, if you ask me. Then, all you've got to do is set the dampers softer for road comfort. Still stick with getting a rear torsion beam stiffener to balance the handling, as well.

I had D2s on my last car and they're great pieces. The spring rates they came with (6k front, 5k rear I think) were perfect for that particular car, and it rode better than stock with the dampers set somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
I run 9.8k front and 8k rear(550/450), the front is fine, the rear is what beats you to do. I'm probably going to try putting 300-350lb springs in the rear for commuting.

I drive 100mi/day.

I'll add that tires make a huge difference in ride comfort for daily driving. I am burning up my winter tires(moved to VA Beach, no use for them here let alone anyone to sell them to) and they're a big comfort improvement over my auto-x tires(ZIISS).

FWIW its not normal rough roads that give me problems, its the constant expansion joints every 20ft over all the bridges and tunnels in my area. When I lived in Ohio I had zero problems, in the Hampton Roads area its pretty rough. It's not bouncy at all, its the fact that the suspension reacts so quickly, that the constant up-down-up-down-up-down every 20ft gets fatiguing on a 1.5hr commute home.

Tony,

I'm also in the Hampton Roads area, and coming from Northern Virginia, the roads are absolutely terrible here. I'm looking to get dampeners in the future.

Tony,

I'm also in the Hampton Roads area, and coming from Northern Virginia, the roads are absolutely terrible here. I'm looking to get dampeners in the future.

If you ever want to check my setup out in person you're welcome to. I think softer rear springs will be the icing on the cake to make it bearable for my VB-Newport News daily commute.

If you ever want to check my setup out in person you're welcome to. I think softer rear springs will be the icing on the cake to make it bearable for my VB-Newport News daily commute.

Tony,

Have you tried removing the rear bar? Even with the 550s in the rear of mine, removing the rear bar makes a huge difference in ride quality. That and softening the front shocks.

Tony,

Have you tried removing the rear bar? Even with the 550s in the rear of mine, removing the rear bar makes a huge difference in ride quality. That and softening the front shocks.

I'll give it a shot when I swap suspension back again in a week or two. I don't see how it would do anything for the harshness that is worst when hitting a bump with both wheels at the same time though. I have zero problems with hitting odd potholes with one side or the other. I definitely need to make a video of myself driving on the crap roads around here.

Im talking third world country bad roads btw. Now that you say 5k is what would actually help performance... but 2 owners whove run 5k say its too stiff for our roads.. Its getting me to think that coilovers might not be the best way to spend my money at the moment..

Im talking third world country bad roads btw. Now that you say 5k is what would actually help performance... but 2 owners whove run 5k say its too stiff for our roads.. Its getting me to think that coilovers might not be the best way to spend my money at the moment..

Here's what it comes down to. If you are concerned about ride quality and do 4 track/autox events a year or less and aren't concerned about being at the top of the field ( but still want to have a ton of fun and be safe), a good set of struts (CS or Konis) and a set of quality lowering springs (See other threads on such) and that's all you need. More aggressively is the Ford Motorsport autox kit (Bilsteins with blue springs) and then into a full coilover with pick your rate springs.

My suggestion will still be to go to a Mazda2 meet or find an event with another 2 owner. Ride in their car and see how you like it. Then you can decide "how stiff" is "too stiff " for yourself.

Honestly my current springs are the goldilocks for me as theyre stiffer than stock but soft enough to handle the bad roads at speed. My primary rationale for getting coilovers is height adjustability/ corner balancability/ and damper adjustability.

Back