Swapping 1 1/4" hitch for a 2" hitch?

steveg_nh

:
2014 CX-9 GT AWD
Hi All,

New to the site, and Mazda. Our first one. From what I've read though, Mazdas seems solid and should give us good dependable use. Hope so...

We are picking up a 2014 CX-9 GT AWD tonight with Nav, Rear DVD, etc for my wife. She's very excited as she grew tired of her Honda Pilot. The CX9 has the factory tow package on it, with the 1 1/4" hitch and wiring harness. The only issue we have with this is using it for our bike rack. We have the Yakima Hold Up and Hold Up +2 in the 2" size. The 2" size allows the +2 extension, so you can carry 4 bikes. The 1 1/4" version of the bike rack doesn't support the +2 extension for obvious reasons. Too long and too much stress on a 1 1/4" hitch.

So unfortunately, I can't use my bike rack on this car at all. I suppose I could use a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter, but I just don't like those. And even with that, I would never feel comfortable using the +2 extension for the full 4 bike capacity.

So I was thinking - there are many 2" hitches available for the CX9. Is there any reason why, given that I'm only doing this to utilize my bike rack (vs towing larger trailers - not doing that), I wouldn't be able to swap out the hitch for a class II 2" version, or a class III with the requirement that's it's still only a max of 3500 towing capacity? With a 350 pound tongue limit on the class II 1 1 /4" hitch, I would still be ok with the 2" version. The entire bike rack with the extension weighs about 80 pounds. Each bike weighs about 30. That's still less than 220 pounds. But I wonder about the effect of the torque on the frame of the car, given how long the bike rack setup is when the 2 bike extension is installed.

Thoughts on this? I certainly wouldn't want to do anything to the car, in terms of damage, but this seems like a reasonable and safe solution. But I thought I'd ask the guys with much more experience with Mazda and Mazda engineering than me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Speaking strictly as an engineer and not someone with firsthand knowledge of the situation...

I don't know what exact factor led Mazda to give the 3,500 lb towing capacity, but I'd bet good money that it was the bolt joints between the tow hitch and the body structure. Given that, I'd have zero issue with 'upgrading' to a 2" receiver for the purpose of increasing bike rack capacity. I'd further have no problem with 'overloading' said hitch-mounted bike rack to the tune of 3x or more rated capacity.

Mohr's Circle, being what it is and all, says that you've not going to have a problem oveloading the tongue weight part of the towing capacity equation. Anything bigger than stock is going to give you a hell of a lot more in tongue weight capacity before draw capacity becomes an issue.

Right, draw capacity is a non issue. I ever wanted to tow anything, I'll use my 2014 Expedition Limited with the tow package. The CX9 hitch would only be used for the bike rack. There's enough bolt on options for the 2" hitch, and if I feel that even with the +2 extension added, bringing the rack to the 4 bike capacity, total tongue load is still under the 350 pounds of the 1.25" receiver. It's just the flex on the frame I was thinking about...

I talked to Yakima today, and they adamantly said 4 bikes on a 1.25" hitch will end in a disaster. Too much torque on the class II hitch. The +2 extension requires at least a class III 2" hitch. It is quite large when installed, so I'm not taking changes there. And like you guys have said, the adapter will rattle, but I'm just not into the adapter...I don't know. Might have to try it with 2 bikes and see, but if I can find a bolt on class III hitch, I might just switch it, as long as it is concealed like the 1.25" is. Anyone know of a manufacturer that would have the same design config as the 1.25" factory hitch, so only the box shows through the bumper, vs it showing under the bumper like a lot of add on hitches do?

And everything I've read so far says one of these adapters reducing tongue load on the hitch by 50%. Makes sense as there is definitely more torque. I'd still be ok with just the two bikes and the carrier, but I'd love a real hidden hitch that has the 2" receiver.

Last edited:
I hope it works because I have a 2" class 3 hitch on my 2015 AWD. Why? I already had a Utility trailer and a Thule Bike Rack that needed a 2" hitch.
- 1-2 times per year, I tow 1 yard of mulch or topsoil about 1 mile (uphill) without any problems. With the trailer and contents, the total max weight (soil not mulch) is about 2,500 -3,000lbs.
-5-8 times per year, I tow the utility trailer with much lighter loads: leaves, sticks, building supplies, etc.

Before we got the CX-9, I used a 2" hitch on my wife's little CRV with no problems (I didn't tow the heavy soil in it) for similar reasons.

Advice: make sure you use a generous amount of White Lithium Grease between the hitch itself and anything you mount to the hitch. If rust is a problem in your area, it will help.

I talked to Yakima today, and they adamantly said 4 bikes on a 1.25" hitch will end in a disaster. Too much torque on the class II hitch. The +2 extension requires at least a class III 2" hitch. It is quite large when installed, so I'm not taking changes there. And like you guys have said, the adapter will rattle, but I'm just not into the adapter...I don't know. Might have to try it with 2 bikes and see, but if I can find a bolt on class III hitch, I might just switch it, as long as it is concealed like the 1.25" is. Anyone know of a manufacturer that would have the same design config as the 1.25" factory hitch, so only the box shows through the bumper, vs it showing under the bumper like a lot of add on hitches do?

And everything I've read so far says one of these adapters reducing tongue load on the hitch by 50%. Makes sense as there is definitely more torque. I'd still be ok with just the two bikes and the carrier, but I'd love a real hidden hitch that has the 2" receiver.

I have never used an adapter, but something like this might help with the rattle: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-anti-rattle.aspx

The OEM hitch is not made by Mazda. If you can figure out who made it, their 2" version might swap out perfect. Good luck.

Last edited:
I hope it works because I have a 2" class 3 hitch on my 2015 AWD. Why? I already had a Utility trailer and a Thule Bike Rack that needed a 2" hitch.
- 1-2 times per year, I tow 1 yard of mulch or topsoil about 1 mile (uphill) without any problems. With the trailer and contents, the total max weight (soil not mulch) is about 2,500 -3,000lbs.
-5-8 times per year, I tow the utility trailer with much lighter loads: leaves, sticks, building supplies, etc.

Before we got the CX-9, I used a 2" hitch on my wife's little CRV with no problems (I didn't tow the heavy soil in it) for similar reasons.

Advice: make sure you use a generous amount of White Lithium Grease between the hitch itself and anything you mount to the hitch. If rust is a problem in your area, it will help.

Your 2015 came with a 2" hitch, or you put it on? I would love to swap out the one I have, for the 2" version, if there is such a thing.

Your 2015 came with a 2" hitch, or you put it on? I would love to swap out the one I have, for the 2" version, if there is such a thing.

My dealer wanted an obscene amount of money to install the OEM trailer. As a result, I took my car to a local auto shop and they installed the Draw Tite hitch listed below.

Pros:
1) It looks very nice.
2) the SUV is the weakest link, not the hitch.
3) installed with the wiring harness, I saved a ton over the OEM hitch. If I didn't need the harness, I would have tried the install myself - if you click on the picture, you'll see more pictures and a link to an install video.

Cons:
1) it is not integrated into the bumper. Click thru to the pictures on the site and you'll see how it will look.
2) because the CX-9 bumper sits pretty low to the ground, the hitch is about 1" lower to the ground than the CRV hitch and 2-3" lower than the hitch was on my old Silverado.

To level my trailer, I bought a new ball mount that has a rise rather than a drop. With the bike rack on, I am careful not to drag my @@@ on steep parking ramps.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2015_Mazda_CX-9.htm?furl=-pm-Draw~Tite

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. I thought you had a factory 2" hitch. That is my preference. Thank you though, I will look at the hitch you got. As you mentioned, the height of the hitch if it sits below the bumper is a concern for the Yakima HoldUp bike rack.

That forklift is nice. Only thing I see is if you're going to use it fort owning there is nowhere for you trailer light plug to hook to. Ok, two things, the price.

I've got the Curt:
20150727_222809_zpssrdd7f8r.jpg

With one of these holding my wiring in place (you can see it on the far side of the opening):
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I wish I could get a better idea about how the current notch will look with the EcoHitch vs the currently installed 1.25" hitch...Waiting for the company to get back to me.

Back