TomTom Home questrion for Rarebit.

Buzzer777

:
Mazda,CX-5, AWD,2015 Grand Touring, Meteor Gray Mica
Did not want to confuse and Hijack the other thread so...
Tried what Rarebit said, but TomTom Home restore is greyed out until it "sees" a TomTom SD card.

How would one use it to restore to a new blank SD card, thus making a backup?

Did not want to confuse and Hijack the other thread so...
Tried what Rarebit said, but TomTom Home restore is greyed out until it "sees" a TomTom SD card.

How would one use it to restore to a new blank SD card, thus making a backup?

I'm not sure that's what you have to do to make a backup. I made a backup on my computer by backing up my existing card. There may be something on that card that is essential to restore the system onto that card, rather than simply cloning a new card and thus defeating copy protection. The rare case where the existing card becomes unusable probably has some TomTom instructions for how to deal with it, too. Contact Customer Support.

Thank you.

I'm not sure that's what you have to do to make a backup. I made a backup on my computer by backing up my existing card. There may be something on that card that is essential to restore the system onto that card, rather than simply cloning a new card and thus defeating copy protection. The rare case where the existing card becomes unusable probably has some TomTom instructions for how to deal with it, too. Contact Customer Support.

Many thanks!

I think if you put a bland card in the car, and turn on the car, it should create the data on the card that TomTom Home will recognize and copy to.

You can use any old SD card as a backup, like GAXIBM said, just put it in your car while it's off and start up the car with the blank SD card in the slot. Let it sit for a few minutes and then shut off the car and remove the card. Once you've done that TomTom HOME will be able to recognize it.

Thanks Capsfan84 and GAZIBM!

You can use any old SD card as a backup, like GAXIBM said, just put it in your car while it's off and start up the car with the blank SD card in the slot. Let it sit for a few minutes and then shut off the car and remove the card. Once you've done that TomTom HOME will be able to recognize it.

That sounds quite logical! Will give it a shot this evening! Funny I never really considered having a backup card until recently!
I have been around computers since before the Internet...never saw a SD card behave this way (both in my win7 and Imac w/OSX).
Interestingly, the Imac has a better track record with the TomTom Card!
Sometimes the Card is recognized and then sometimes not!

Back