what performance upgrades are worth while on the n/a 2.3 hatchback

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
as the title says, i wanna know what mods are worth it to do to the n/a 2.3L as i cannot afford to turbo. i want more umph and do realize ill never be "the fastest car on the block" with this car without a turbo or a limitless pocket book. i am already planning on doing some suspension upgrades such as upgraded struts/springs and tower bar. maybe speed 3 or corksport swaybars. however what engine mods are worth my time/money and effort for this car?

Cold air intake is about the only thing that will make any difference at all. Increased power (on the unofficial butt dyno) and improved fuel economy. The computer "unlearns" any other mods.

Does anyone have any actual dyno runs to back this up? I've always heard that a CAI on a car with no tune or anything will do nothing at best, and actually make it worse in some cases.

Made a big difference on mine. Improved driving feel and also improved fuel economy.

On NA cars, I always suggest a swaybar kit. While it doesn't add any power obviously, they make a huge difference in the way the car handles without sacrificing much ride quality.

Honestly, I never found any deficiencies in the stock suspension, even after dozens of "fun runs" with my local driving club. Unless you're wanting to do full-on track days or just want to lower the car for aesthetics, Mazda did a great job of setting up the 1st gen 3.

Sent from my Z932L using Tapatalk

It's not how much you gain, it's how much you don't lose. Heatsoak from built up engine bay heat after shutting down a warmed up engine, can cause intake air through the OEM intake to reach 120- 140 degrees F. That heated intake air causes your ecu to retard timing enough to reduce HP by 5+ wheel horsepower.
Having a true CAI will cause that super hot intake air to cool off, rapidly - much faster than could the OEM intake. Dyno plots won't show you this reduction in power if the hood is open and a fan is blowing on the engine. Nonetheless, it is real and happens all the time (if you don't have CAI).

Back