Working on my belts/Squeal/chirp noise

Targaryen420

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So thank God that i have a brother who knows how to work on cars a bit. We tightened a couple tension bolts that were located under the cruise control modular and the bolt in front of the belts.

The Problem:

The problem was that when cold starting, or having the AC on when starting, the belts would squeak like no other. Turning on the ac, we found that the belts would still squeak. Tightening the bolts more, i hear nothing more than some chirping at idle now. Sounds like i might have fixed the problem. but there could be a squeaking bearing somewhere.

Is it definitely coming from the belt area? For the longest time I thought I had squeaky belts, but it turned out to be the clutch fork. Grabbed the area where the slave cylinder and clutch fork meet up/made contact and shook it some and the rhythmic chirp went away.

I found out yesterday that these belts need to be really tight to not slip.. They are tiny compared to belts on comparable vehicles. If you're careful, you can adjust them while the engine is running.

Ever since I did my engine swap the alternator belt has been slipping under high electrical loads. It was pretty tight, but not tight enough. I went ahead and replaced the belt at the same time. I also found out that the Duralast alternator belt from Autozone is made in the USA.

Yeah the belts are WAY smaller than what ive seen on other cars. Any luck with yall out there?

Running the AC really helped me find the sweet spot on where the belts liked to be. Use the AC to find the problem. When i had the problem, it would be on cold start or when i get off work, (8 hours) and it would be there again. So i simulated cold start with the AC, and tightened from there.

Be careful not to over tighten though...

If you over tighten your alternator belt you can wreck the alternators bearing.

That also makes a chirping like noise.

I dont think we over tightened them.

Update. The chirping noise is still there, Started her up on cold start his morning right before going to work. However, there is no more squealing when i take off. and it doesnt squeak or chirp when im at idle, at a light. =)

Alternator load peaks right after a cold start. The battery is discharged significantly and requires a lot of juice to recharge.

Back