No compression

Dat Slotege

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Replaced the head on my MSP about a month back because a stud had broke off into the old head, when I tried to start it I had lost compression in all 4 cylinders. I thought the replacement head maybe had been warped, so I took the head that had the stud broken off into it and took it to a well trusted machine shop in my area, got them to machine it, clean it, gave it a 4 angle valve job, and all the goodies. Installed this head, double triple and quadruple checked the head gasket and timing, rebuilt everything and on first startup, still no compression. Any help please?

They were moving pretty freely, any tell tale signs of them being too tight i should look for?

Any chance I could of flooded the engine? When I pulled the plugs they were decently wet with fuel.

Did you replace the head bolts and tighten them to the proper spec, in the proper sequence? And use a new head gasket each time?

Did you replace the head bolts and tighten them to the proper spec, in the proper sequence? And use a new head gasket each time?

Yup, brand new head gasket, laid it on as perfect as possible. Torqued it to 16.5 ft/lbs in a clockwise rotation, then 90 degrees all the way around and another 90 degrees. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I measured the head bolts and they were within the allowance to reuse because I replaced them about a month ago with the last head and the car hadn't run at all

If its not the valves or the head gasket, it would have to be on the low end. I would say piston rings, but for all 4 to go out at the same time is unlikely. If those valves are opening at the wrong time, then proper compression can't be achieved. That being said, I'd take another look at the timing, namely the crank gear.

...or perhaps the intake and exhaust cams were installed backwards when the machine shop did the rebuild

Last edited:
double check timing. if its off by 1 tic it could fail to give compression but still open close valves freely when turning? also possible to have 180* off? Not sure about this 4cyl but on some 8cyl you can have timing inversed and still get good rotation on engine/valves but nothing else works!

Back