Suspect Transmission - Need Diagnosis

Trupelaman

:
Mazda 5
My 2008 Mazda 5 is making an increasingly harsh noise and shake while in park, neutral, reverse, or drive. It only happens when the vehicle is idling below 1000 rpm at a standstill. It's worse in reverse, the whole dash shakes. And just last night while in drive, at a standstill, there is an additional noise at the front of the vehicle that sounds like a belt whining. I've also notices that when I put the vehicle in drive I get a bit of a clunk. Thing is, I haven't noticed any problem when the thing is above 1000 rpm and moving. Any thoughts?

First guess is that it sounds as if your ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION MOUNTS HAVE FAILED.

as far as your transmission failing...
What does color of transmission fluid look like against a white tissue or paper towel?
What does the fluid smell like?
When was the fluid last changed?

Transmission fluid was changed about a month ago. That was the first attempt at fixing the problem.

How can I check if the mounts have failed? I had a look at the engine when the vehicle is in idle and it does shake.

Going for mounts too. Our mounts suck. Could be any/all 3. If its really bad when rolling from a stop, I would first consider the trans mount under the battery, but of course the #3 by the belts is the easiest to check.

Transmission fluid was changed about a month ago. That was the first attempt at fixing the problem.

How can I check if the mounts have failed? I had a look at the engine when the vehicle is in idle and it does shake.

You'll see cracks in the rubber if it is like mine was. I'm getting ready to do my tranny mount and expecting it to be shot. 6 yrs/65K miles.

the one by the belts is fluid filled, and when it goes, all the fluid leaks out and there will be remains of the "mineral oil" like fluid under the motor mount.

the one by the belts is fluid filled, and when it goes, all the fluid leaks out and there will be remains of the "mineral oil" like fluid under the motor mount.

I never saw that on mine. Just cracks in the rubber on top and when I opened it up, evaporated fluid. Maybe some did spill, but we never saw any.

Back