P5 Overheating? Coolant reservoir overflowing

ucnr

:
Mazda Protege5
Was driving from New York to Ohio and experienced an overheating condition. 2.0 FS-DE, all stock, 217k miles, broken A/C compressor, A/C always turned off. I stopped the car when the temperature gauge went to 75%. Oil level was normal, and coolant fan was working, but I topped it off anyway, and added tap water to the overflow reservoir after it cooled down. The day before this happened the reservoir was boiling over, as if it were about to explode, but the temperature gauge read 48%. Ever since, the temperature has gauge has read 48%, but after stopping the car, the reservoir still boils over! or steam comes out of it. Should I repair something? I need to replace the clutch this summer anyway so I would prefer to do any needed repairs while the engine is out of the car. Thanks.

Thermostate, or may have a crack on the reservoir tank. Thats what happed to mine, as soon as i replaced the tank never over heated again.

Id say thermostat also.and if you have to drive with it trying to overheat turn your heater on and full blast.sounds dumb but it helps it from overheating.I bought a buick rendezvous that was a lemon and overheated and that helped alot

+3 on the thermostat... You mostly got air in the system after the first boil over... You need to burp it properly now...

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but my P5 was behaving similarly - Coolant would overflow after every trip no matter how short or long but never overheated. Car has a new (1 year old) mishimoto radiator, new hoses, I've gone through two brand new thermostats, new overflow tank, cooling fan operates properly, multiple radiator caps, gone through so many air burp cycles I can't even count...

Long story short, the last of my parts to replace the headgasket should be here on Tuesday. General consensus is I have a cracked headgasket/cylinder head letting combustion gasses escape under load.

.... I have a cracked headgasket/cylinder head letting combustion gasses escape under load.

One of these can help to determine what's wrong...

It "sniffs" the gases coming out of the overflow reservoir and changes color if there is combustion gases in it.

You can get one as a loaner tool from an auto supply place... You just have to buy the chemicals.

^this. I bought one on Amazon a few weeks back.

The new head/head gasket are in place and the car is no longer boiling over.

Back