Help with thump!

agr99

:
1999 mazda protege
Hello everyone, my 01 protege has this thumping from the driver rear.It starts at around 40mph.you can feel the thump not just the sound.thinking is suspension maybe a swaybar bushing.tires need to be replaced but a knot in the tire wouldn't make a thump this hard or loud. any ideas would help its driving me F*?#ING INSANE!![emoji4]

I recently had a thump on my passenger rear. Turned out to be the swaybay end link. I had just replaced the struts and linkage and didn't tighten the top lockunt enough so it was just loose enough to cause a knock or thud when hitting even the smallest imperfection in the road. The only way to know is to take your wheel off and inspect everything. I had to hold the brake drum and compress the strut rapidly to duplicate the noise. Also maybe strut tower lock nut. Good luck man, I couldn't stand my suspension noise

Im going to fix this clunk this upcoming weekend.if it is the endlink, should i just use oem? Or would the ford escape endlinks be better because they are a bit beefier? I doubt ill lower this vehicle though just wanna know if its better than the oem endlinks

i have no experience with anything besides oem endlinks which are performing just fine. If you plan on tracking the car or your just a spirited driver sure throw in the escape links, their probably similar in price and same amount of work anyways.

Well I replaced the endlinks.the thump is still there,I noticed there wasnt a screw holding the drum on.maybe it could be that rattling around.or a brake dragging?

Back