Still smoking after new valve stem seals

MSP Alex

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Like a lot of us on here, I've been having the blue smoke on start up and it stops after about/around 30 seconds. I started with compression and leak down test and both were flawless. I replaced the OEM stem seals with Viton stem seals and triple checked everything went on perfect. I didn't mix up the intake and exhaust seals, they were all installed 100% correctly. For the first week after the fix I had no smoke and I thought all was well until I checked the oil. There was only 1 quart and it was pitch black. A new filter and 4 quarts of Rotella T6 later it starts smoking like hell like nothing was ever replaced. It doesn't smoke under boost or at all after start up so you'd think rings and turbo seals are good right? I'm just completely stumped at this point. Any input is greatly appreciated

Any oil in the hot pipe? Could be the turbo, could be the rings or even the PCV system.

I replaced the pcv awhile back when the oil catch can was filling up in 2-3 days completely full. I removed the oil catch can and haven't put it back in yet because it passes oil through the new one too. Do you think it may be causing the smoking start as well as burning/consumption I've been having? I hear the supercharged millennia guys have a pcv that handles boost better without passing oil

The Milennia S PCV is the recommended one for the Protege but honesty I don't think it makes much of a difference. FWIW I have a milennia style PCV from autozone, but it's possible the catch can messed with the PCV system and sucked a bunch of oil into the intake and crankcase and now it is burning that oil out.

Subbing. Same problem. Blue smoke on startup, new valve stem seals, excellent compression. No oil in the hot pipe.

I noticed I consume more oil during highway driving than around town. I guess there is something about the constant >3k rpm that causes it.

Subbing. Same problem here too except its on a P5. New pvc, valve stems seals and good compression. Blue smoke on start up.

The Milennia S PCV is the recommended one for the Protege but honesty I don't think it makes much of a difference. FWIW I have a milennia style PCV from autozone, but it's possible the catch can messed with the PCV system and sucked a bunch of oil into the intake and crankcase and now it is burning that oil out.

Heres a stupid question: What year of the millenia pcv should we get? Does the supercharger and non supercharger pcv matter when using it on a MSP?

my local stores dont have any for a Sulercharged Supercharged millenia. But they have ones for non SC.

This may sound a little extreme but I am replacing the engine right now with one I found in a 2002 naturally aspirated protg with 80k miles. If it still acts like nothings changed afterwards I'm betting it's the PCV system not liking the car being turbo

The PCV systems don't usually have problems on these cars unless they are modified or the valve itself has stuck. The 'millennia S PCV' is the one from the supercharged model and they do sell them at autozone, can't recall the part number right now though.

After pulling the old engine i found that the exhaust valves were still leaking oil so they probably needed machine work and new valve guides. Valve stem seals just didnt cut it like i hoped it would

Interesting turn of events. I realized that my smoking issue occurred when i switched over to synthetic and after every oil change. Synthetic tends to work its way through any small issue and appears to magnify said issue. Upon switching back to conventional oil, after about a week the car will not smoke at all on start up. I kid you not. Not a lick of oil. Just some food for thought

Back