End of my CX9

IslandTractor

:
2010 CX9 GT Silver/Blk
I've been a very happy CX-9 GT owner for five years (well, except for the gas mileage) however my car was totalled while parked last month. An inattentive driver ?texting ?distracted by kids just plain ran into the left rear wheel and quarter panel at about 30mph. Totalled his Camry and while the damage to the CX9 didn't look terrible, there were enough suspension bits and unibody bits damaged that the insurance company totalled it.

It had been a very reliable car over the 68,000 miles I had it (since new 2010). Only went back to the dealer once for the transfer case replacement issue on warranty. I replaced the battery and put on a new set of Duellers about a year ago but that was it other than oil changes and wiper blades.

What I liked best was highway driving, very comfortable and sure footed. What I liked least was gas mileage (I averaged about 16-17 with 2/3 suburban driving 1/3 highway). I didn't love the cargo capacity (minivan much better) or the parking (rear camera kind of lame, screen resolution poor).

I was drawn to the CX-5 as a replacement as I didn't really need the third row anymore. Drove it, liked it a lot but in the end decided that my driving these days is primarily suburban/urban and that 27mpg didn't compare well to what hybrids get in suburban driving. Was initially interested in Prius V but after some comparison shopping found the Ford C-Max Energi to be much more comfortable (just like the CX5), sprightly (about the same power as CX5) and much greater bang for the buck (bought used 2013 still on warranty from dealer for just a bit more than half of a new CX5 GT out the door cost). Have been driving the Energi for the past month averaging 65mpg. Most days I don't use any gas as it goes 20+ miles on battery alone. Feels good. Haven't been to a gas station yet with almost 500 miles of mostly EV driving. I have a minivan for cargo trips so the smaller cargo capacity of the CMax isn't a big problem.

Wish Mazda made a hybrid CX5. Skyactive is a great idea for highway efficiency but doesn't really work nearly so well as a hybrid in an urban/suburban setting.

In any case, I was a happy CX9 owner and other than gas mileage had no serious complaints about the car. Would be delighted to own another Mazda some day.

The c-max is nice. Too bad they don't make a regular gas version. I especially like the alloy wheels on them they are of a nice and conservative design. Hope that you get many years of trouble free service from your car.

The c-max is nice. Too bad they don't make a regular gas version. I especially like the alloy wheels on them they are of a nice and conservative design. Hope that you get many years of trouble free service from your car.

No particular disadvantage of the hybrid version vs a gas CMax. I believe the engine is identical to what they put in the gas CMax in Europe so really the difference is just the hybrid elements which do add considerably to MPG. I get 43mpg in hybrid mode with my CMax Energi on the highway and well over 100mpg on trips in town (using mostly electric power).

Back