chitty chitty bang bang

justintime

:
2005 mazda 6 s
I bought a 2005 Mazda 6 6cyl in December of 2014. I really like it. It started to not want to start after it was hot. So yesterday, I changed the starter and now that problem is solved. Then, 30 miles later and the next day, after a 20 mile trip I heard a toc toc toccing noise at the end of 2nd and 3rd gear. After parking it and it had cooled down, started back home on interstate doing 65 mph. Slowed down to exit on off ramp, the toc toc toc sound returned. I put it in neutral as I coasted down the off ramp (it's an automatic). Toc toc toc immediately went away. Put it in drive and started hearing "chitty chitty bang bang, knocks and chings and rattles" and the power was reduced and extreme vibration from engine compartment. Decided to go to my mechanic which was approximately 1 miles away. As I was turning into my mechanic's parking lot, the car quit. Turned key off and it restarted so I continued to turn into parking lot and it quit again. Got it restarted and with great difficulty, finally got it up to the garage. There wasn't a check engine light or anything unusual on instrument panel, power was greatly reduced, I had to drive it with one foot on the gas and one on the break just to get it on the lift. There was nothing obvious underneath. The mechanic's computer said it could not communicate with the ICM--Is that the Instrument Control Module or Ignition Control Module(?). After the engine cooled some, the knocking and vibration was greatly reduced. Within 2 minutes of restarting, it became increasingly worse. The mechanics do not have a clue; possibly it jumped timing, they don't know.

Sorry for the long post. H E L P!!!!! S.O.S.

Thanks,
Justintime

update

the scanner says "no communications with instrument control panel " the mechanic's best guess is that it has jumped timing.
but, they cant get any info from car's computers.

update

Well, I got back to my car Sunday evening checked the oil, it barley showed anything on the dip stick. I added 3 quarts which was about a half quart to much. it started, and didn't sound as bad, I kept it running for less than a minute and the check engine light decided to come on. I knew it leaked a little oil, I assume that's why it was low, I only had 2000 miles on this oil change and that was about 3 months ago, it wasn't very low when I changed it so maybe the leak had got worse.
I drove the car onto a dolly, and towed it home. I hope its not it's final resting place. I'll let you know.

Back