Are there compelling performance mods for the 2.5??

:
ss
Almost every vehicle I've owned has had some basic performance mods that offer really good bang for the buck. It's typically Tune, Intake and Exhaust related.

I don't see much discussed for the CX-5/2.5.

Are there compelling performance mods that register in the "butt dyno" but are easy on the wallet? Just curious.

Almost every vehicle I've owned has had some basic performance mods that offer really good bang for the buck. It's typically Tune, Intake and Exhaust related.

I don't see much discussed for the CX-5/2.5.

Are there compelling performance mods that register in the "butt dyno" but are easy on the wallet? Just curious.

You can get the ECU tuned.
The tuning definitely registers on the butt dyno and everyone on the mazda 6 forum seems pretty satisfied.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/2-5l-i-...5g-skayctiv-results-technical-discussion.html

It's a 184 hp inline 4 engine that has a 13:1 compression ratio, runs on regular gas, and gets 34 mpg. It doesn't seem you can get much more out of it without negatively affecting other things.

It's a 184 hp inline 4 engine that has a 13:1 compression ratio, runs on regular gas, and gets 34 mpg. It doesn't seem you can get much more out of it without negatively affecting other things.

I agree, it's wise not to mess with the tune on this engine because the tune is a significant factor explaining how it can run such high compression without detonation damage to the engine. Mazda did extensive testing with highly experienced engineers and tons of sophisticated equipment to tune the engine for maximum power/torque without causing issues down the line.

Try to outdo millions of dollars of sophisticated equipment and internal combustion experts with literally centuries of cumulative experience at your own risk. The aftermarket tuners might be able to show some small gains, especially if you want to buy higher octane fuel, but those gains are unlikely to come without large expense down the road.

Best advice, now that cars are so technologically advanced, just choose one that has enough power for your intended usage and try to not reduce the performance it does have by adding unnecessary aerodynamic drag, heavier wheels/tires, etc. I got a small performance improvement (noticeable by my butt dyno) simply by installing lighter wheels. I only notice it under 35 mph or so, but it makes it feel more perky.

I wouldn't mess with it. Should bought a Forester 2.0 or MB or something if you needed faster. This motor is one I can see massive gains for from a tune, but it's running on a knife edge balance with its compression. I'd let it be.

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. I'll just leave leave it the way it is since their aren't any high ROI type of perf. mods. I'm happy with the overall performance.

The possibility for good gains from remapping the ECU are there. And it can be done safely and conservatively, so that engine longevity isn't affected.

But there's a few guys out there tuning these engines whom, IMO, do not have the knowledge or pedigree to be doing such things. It's one thing to play with fueling and spark advance, but it's another thing entirely to attempt to alter valve timing. Especially with Mazda supposedly playing with valve timing events and overlapping, in order to protect the intake valves from GDI deposits.

Like Mike said, engine events are a science. And its a game of checks and balances. It's easy to just manipulate numbers in a table on a PC screen. But, to actually understand the physics of what is actually taking place when doing doesn't just come on a whim...

Corksport has a short ram intake for the 2.0L and 2.5L engines. As with all NA engines, the gains are marginal. I believe you get 6hp on their short ram intake for the 2.5L engine. Looking at the dyno graph they have, you start getting the benefits at 4k rpm and onwards. This is probably when the VVT in our engines really open up.

Those bolt ons are not much good without a tune. The same jazz since day 1 about how this engine is already optimized etc etc. Yet more and more mods are appearing. Headers, (for the sky g on 2nd gen mz3) Cosworth bought a 3rd gen and is developing cams, ovtuned is testing a turbo kit with and without meth injection for release early next year. e85 is in the works as well. I would expect in one year time some big gains on skyactive performance now that the miata is stateside.

On the Skys, well any vehicle for that matter....there is definitely a decent amount of improvement left in the engine that can be had with a tune. Mazda did not max the vehicle out from the factory at all in terms of power output. No manufacturer does.

With a few bolt ins and a performance ecu recalibration. You will definitely be happy with the outcome from a tune. He'll even stock no mods with a tune and just a change in octane to 91 or 93 will make you happy.

If anyone is interested is a tune. Feel free to message me. Or hit me up on my page.

www.Facebook.com/twistedtuned

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

With basic bolt-ons on a relatively small NA engine, you'll be hard pressed to get anything over 10 hp. I agree, a tune is the best bang for the buck mod, though it does carry with it a bit of risk. I've seen a thread here where the OP was blasted for wanting to install a short ram intake. I think getting an ECU tune will require a leap of faith for some people.

As far as the engine and tune being optimized from the factory, that depends on what "optimized" means. If they mean optimized for all weather conditions, all fuel quality levels and for fuel economy, then I would say yes, it is optimized from the factory. A stock North American CX-5 should work anywhere in North America, regardless of the weather conditions. It is however not optimized for performance, which is what owners will be after if they are asking about aftermarket performance modifications.

Optimizing for performance means giving up optimizing in mileage and pollution.

Optimizing for performance means giving up optimizing in mileage and pollution.
No, it does not. People with boosted 2.5L (mzr not sky) are still getting 30+ mpg from their 3's. It's all about how you drive it. Oh and the guy who pretty much was the first to start tuning and offering tunes for that motor was ridiculed in the mz3 community (mainly speed 3 owners), yet now he sells turbo kits for it, and there are many 2.5's boosted putting out 250-350hp, mostly stock internals. The only time your going to use more fuel is when you are in boost because ofc you require more fuel in that situation. Oh and all this about "it's an economy car etc.. the speed 3 is not much different than a 2.5 mz3 aside from the trans and motor.

I've been watching tuning forums for years. The truth is, there's a lot of exaggerated claims (like 6hp from bolting on a short ram air intake, etc.).

People that sell tunes (and their confederates) often pump them up to increase sales.

Another interest of mine is Internet investor forums that specialize in trading "pink sheet" penny stocks. Lot's of pumping goes on there... Buyer beware.

Not much difference between the two. Whenever there is money to be made, the truth goes out the window. And there is a sucker born every minute. Bottom line: If a tune increases power, there is ALWAYS a trade-off. It may come in the form of repairs down the road, emissions, less margin of safety for fuels that are marginally out of spec, lower MPG, less torque lower in the rev range, etc.

Mostly, it's all about the money.

... Bottom line: If a tune increases power, there is ALWAYS a trade-off. It may come in the form of repairs down the road, emissions, less margin of safety for fuels that are marginally out of spec, lower MPG, less torque lower in the rev range, etc.
Mostly, it's all about the money.
I totally agree with you on this!

... With a few bolt ins and a performance ecu recalibration. You will definitely be happy with the outcome from a tune. He'll even stock no mods with a tune and just a change in octane to 91 or 93 will make you happy.
If gaining 6~8 hp with 91~93 octane premium gasoline on NA 13:1 compression ratio SkyActiv-G is such an easy mod like you implied, why could Mazda just do the similar way to gain 6~8 hp instead of increasing compression ratio to 14:1 on SA-G for non-NA market?

If gaining 6~8 hp with 91~93 octane premium gasoline on NA 13:1 compression ratio SkyActiv-G is such an easy mod like you implied, why could Mazda just do the similar way to gain 6~8 hp instead of increasing compression ratio to 14:1 on SA-G for non-NA market?

Mazda also has to meet epa standards which tuners don't bother with...

Because they don't want it to be "premium only". That makes the cost to own go up which makes it less competitive when it comes to number crunching. The majority of drivers do not open their hood, and are not savvy about what is going on with their car aside from stop and go. The factory tune is a safe tune for max reliability for whatever performance target Mazda wanted to meet for the CX-5, and one that will not fail the EPA/smog tests. It's like flying a small airplane; I can lean the mixture for maximum fuel economy. if done improperly (too lean) over a period of time and multiple flights, it can and usually will result in damage to the cylinders. TO be safe you can run with a richer mixture, which will reduce fuel economy, but also keep the motor cooler and is the safer method. But run too rich for the condition and you end up with fouled spark plus, and power loss. The factory engine tune could be seen as is a compromise between "too rich" and "too lean" (as an example obviously it is much more than that) so that there is little room for engine damage based on improper operation for the conditions. They give a general tune that is the same for everyone, everywhere regardless of climate, driving habit, fueling habit, fuel quality etc. A tune is usually done based on data acquired from (multiple) logs based on how you drive your car, what fuel you use, how your climate is affecting your engine performance etc.
But like any performance mod, mechanical or otherwise you have to be more diligent on maintenance. There are plenty of people who mod their car simply based on what the next guy has done (which isn't necessarily bad because you can get a feel for what worked and what didn't; that's why we are a community right?), without putting in half the work he/she has, to maintain it, and therefore end up with worn out/damaged components down the road. Whether it's an engine or a suspension piece. A common example of this is people who lower their cars to a point where they actually need to replace thing like end links, tie rods, roll fenders etc, but they don't because as far as they are concerned the car was successfully lowered by putting aftermarket springs on. Then in like 6 months they are talking about squeaking or a blown strut.

Last edited:
Back